Anybody tried the TAD EL84S-STR Blackplates?

Rex Rocker

I like the regular TAD EL84-STR's in my EVH LBX. However, with the Shuguang factory burning down, I can't seem to find any more sets for sale. The Blackplates seem more readily available.

Wondering if any of you guys have tried the black plate version of these tubes. How are they? How do they compare?

Thanks!

I cant answer your question....

However, if you're looking for great sounding EL84's... Get the NOS Russian 6P14P non military version. Thank me later.
Really had to find the Russian 6P14P tubes at this point. I think dr Z bought them all up. They are good tubes, just hard to find at this point.

I would assume any new Tads are made by jj or new sensor, but they are not very forth coming about that.

Really had to find the Russian 6P14P tubes at this point. I think dr Z bought them all up. They are good tubes, just hard to find at this point.

I would assume any new Tads are made by jj or new sensor, but they are not very forth coming about that.
I just did a Ebay search. Lots of them. Viva Tubes has NOS quads for $49.95

The TAD Black Plate 6L6GC-STR's were no joke either. They hit like a sledgehammer in the lows. Tight, punchy. Too bad they're no longer available.

I cant answer your question....

However, if you're looking for great sounding EL84's... Get the NOS Russian 6P14P non military version. Thank me later.

Came here to say this.

Had the TAD's and they're cool but unless you go Valvo (Mullard EL84's are NOT top dog) or the like, the 6p14p (NO SUFFIX! IMPORTANT!) is the best tone/longevity for the money. The JJ is cool but not the same league.

I have a bunch. They work best in Marshalls. My JCM 800 loves them. Smallbox not as much, thought there was something missing. There's a little mid scoop in these tubes and also a little more bass. The response feels good. I don't like them in every amp but in many they sound great. I was thinking about putting a quad I have into my Rev F Dual Rectifier.

What are the non-suffix 6P14P's like?

I have a few sets of 6P14P-EV's, ant they're great, but I like the TAD's as well. I'd like something with the bottom end of the EV's and the highs of the TAD's.

I have a bunch. They work best in Marshalls. My JCM 800 loves them. Smallbox not as much, thought there was something missing. There's a little mid scoop in these tubes and also a little more bass. The response feels good. I don't like them in every amp but in many they sound great. I was thinking about putting a quad I have into my Rev F Dual Rectifier.
Don't you mean EL34's?

What are the non-suffix 6P14P's like?

I have a few sets of 6P14P-EV's, ant they're great, but I like the TAD's as well. I'd like something with the bottom end of the EV's and the highs of the TAD's.
Better toanz. Get some!

Back