Favorite amp blend

No real "favourite" per se, but my usual go to for tracking is Diezel Hagen Ch.1, Ch.2, Ch.3 panned hard against my opposing Bogner 20thA Shiva Clean, Ch.2 boosted, and Ch.2 respectively.

My VH4 used to be blended in a similar way with my Shiva; now I find it just perfect on its own. If tracking and mixing, so much comes down to the post-production - 1073s, 610s, 1176s - everything changes when layering track upon track. While it blends nicely with, say, the D-Moll in midcut mode, or the Sheevs, the Hagen or even the XTC, I've really enjoyed just using its 4 channels on top of one another to get this thick meaty rich soundscape.

YMMV. I do screw about with alternate/phasing and see where it takes me, dual mono outs versus committed stereo single, etc - but for the most part - I try to keep things simple when the REC button is engaged.

No real "favourite" per se, but my usual go to for tracking is Diezel Hagen Ch.1, Ch.2, Ch.3 panned hard against my opposing Bogner 20thA Shiva Clean, Ch.2 boosted, and Ch.2 respectively.

My VH4 used to be blended in a similar way with my Shiva; now I find it just perfect on its own. If tracking and mixing, so much comes down to the post-production - 1073s, 610s, 1176s - everything changes when layering track upon track. While it blends nicely with, say, the D-Moll in midcut mode, or the Sheevs, the Hagen or even the XTC, I've really enjoyed just using its 4 channels on top of one another to get this thick meaty rich soundscape.

YMMV. I do screw about with alternate/phasing and see where it takes me, dual mono outs versus committed stereo single, etc - but for the most part - I try to keep things simple when the REC button is engaged.I

YMMV. I do screw about with alternate/phasing and see where it takes me, dual mono outs versus committed stereo single, etc - but for the most part - I try to keep things simple when the REC button is engaged.
The Hagen is only Diezel I’ve not messed with much . I have Vh4 and Herbert mk 1 and 3 . What’s it closest too ?

The Hagen is only Diezel I’ve not messed with much . I have Vh4 and Herbert mk 1 and 3 . What’s it closest too ?
Hagen is its own beast... It is *NOT* like the Herbert, and it's *NOT* exactly like the VH4. It's a different animal. Hand technique/EQ can get it to sound similar (if one were so desiring) to that "VH4 Ch.3" vibe, but, it's a 4 channel amp that offers WAAAAAAAAAAAY more than trying to pull off a VH4, or a Herbert, or Einstein, or D-Moll, or whatever. It's a beast. ALL 4 channels kick serious ass - the clean is next fkn level - the grind of Ch.2 is open and toothy - Ch.3 is mega rich, thunderous, super sensitive to guitar vol/tone changes - and Ch.4 is super flexible from everything to leads to pulled back grooves and the like, and hardcore beatings.

You and I discussed the "flexibility" of the VH4 over on the Diezel sub-forum. The Hagen is very much like this - 4 channels - all super independent as stand alone kickass channels in their own right - the amp overall has a more open grind to it, but this can be pulled back with proper right hand technique if ya want the chugga-chugga brootz; handles everything from standard 6 tuning down to Drop A 7 string and lower if necessary (if yer strings aren't flapping like shoelaces LOL).

I've always loved the Hagen. Always. I'm one of only a few - and I think it's because I wasn't expecting to go into it trying to make it sound like any of the other Diezels - I took it at face value and just worked with what it gave/gives me - and it gives a LOT.

Hope that helps.

PS: FWIW, only ever played the Herbert Mk.1 and it's the only Diezel I didn't gel with. I've got a D-Moll I absolutely adore - but the Herbert and me?? Just never vibed; maybe the MkIII is different - but I honestly don't need any more amps. I'm loaded with all the amps I could ever possibly need or want - and endless opportunities of tonal exploration and inspiration :2thumbsup:

Hagen is its own beast... It is *NOT* like the Herbert, and it's *NOT* exactly like the VH4. It's a different animal. Hand technique/EQ can get it to sound similar (if one were so desiring) to that "VH4 Ch.3" vibe, but, it's a 4 channel amp that offers WAAAAAAAAAAAY more than trying to pull off a VH4, or a Herbert, or Einstein, or D-Moll, or whatever. It's a beast. ALL 4 channels kick serious ass - the clean is next fkn level - the grind of Ch.2 is open and toothy - Ch.3 is mega rich, thunderous, super sensitive to guitar vol/tone changes - and Ch.4 is super flexible from everything to leads to pulled back grooves and the like, and hardcore beatings.

You and I discussed the "flexibility" of the VH4 over on the Diezel sub-forum. The Hagen is very much like this - 4 channels - all super independent as stand alone kickass channels in their own right - the amp overall has a more open grind to it, but this can be pulled back with proper right hand technique if ya want the chugga-chugga brootz; handles everything from standard 6 tuning down to Drop A 7 string and lower if necessary (if yer strings aren't flapping like shoelaces LOL).

I've always loved the Hagen. Always. I'm one of only a few - and I think it's because I wasn't expecting to go into it trying to make it sound like any of the other Diezels - I took it at face value and just worked with what it gave/gives me - and it gives a LOT.

Hope that helps.
Hell ya . It does . My friend is selling a 2021 Hagen for $2900 so I been thinking lol . But I’m still trying to get a 2c+ so that stops me lol . Choices

The new diezels are Loaded with 6l6s now right . I wonder if the new Hagen he has does . I love 6l6s
Always easy to swap 'em out. I'm actually quite fond of the 77s in my Diezels. Used to run 6550's in my VH4 - and EL34/E34Ls - all manner of tubes - I had 6L6's in my first VH4 and they were really good - but I dropped a quad of =C= 6550s and it was game on ever since. But with the heat pull and the like (and Papa giving me the evil eye here on the forum, ahem), I keep 77s in most of my Diezels now.

77s are still a great tube - the only reason 6L6 are now coming with the latest Diezels is cuz the JJ factory is down till 2022, and Papa is meticulous about getting a particular sound out of his amps, and then making sure when he orders 1000 tubes that their failure rate is minimal, their tone is consistent, and they're not overly priced so the end-buyer doesn't have to absorb the uncharge. Simple.

I've run the gamut on so many tubes - power and pre - and funny enough??? I'm back to high quality Chinese pres, MAYBE an LPS in the PI slot, and JJ-KT77s kick amazing ass given their price point. If needed, I'll opt for GL-KT77 as replacements or try the EHX 6CA7 for experimentation. But right now, my amps are sizzling.

Always easy to swap 'em out. I'm actually quite fond of the 77s in my Diezels. Used to run 6550's in my VH4 - and EL34/E34Ls - all manner of tubes - I had 6L6's in my first VH4 and they were really good - but I dropped a quad of =C= 6550s and it was game on ever since. But with the heat pull and the like (and Papa giving me the evil eye here on the forum, ahem), I keep 77s in most of my Diezels now.

77s are still a great tube - the only reason 6L6 are now coming with the latest Diezels is cuz the JJ factory is down till 2022, and Papa is meticulous about getting a particular sound out of his amps, and then making sure when he orders 1000 tubes that their failure rate is minimal, their tone is consistent, and they're not overly priced so the end-buyer doesn't have to absorb the uncharge. Simple.

I've run the gamut on so many tubes - power and pre - and funny enough??? I'm back to high quality Chinese pres, MAYBE an LPS in the PI slot, and JJ-KT77s kick amazing ass given their price point. If needed, I'll opt for GL-KT77 as replacements or try the EHX 6CA7 for experimentation. But right now, my amps are sizzling.
Idk what it is . But kt77s just are weurd for me . Great ideas . 6550 I’ve yet to try . But I must admit 6l6s are my favorite in my Herbert . It slays me

Idk what it is . But kt77s just are weurd for me . Great ideas . 6550 I’ve yet to try . But I must admit 6l6s are my favorite in my Herbert . It slays me
maybe cuz you're familiar with the Mesa DNA - they're stock with 6L6 ammiright?? So, familiarity breeds comfortability.

I thought there was a time Diezel was shipping with 6550s or Peter recommended them or something. This would have been at least like 10 years ago or so if I recall. I remember buying a sextet of SED winged C 6550s at the time for my Herbert as a result.

I thought there was a time Diezel was shipping with 6550s or Peter recommended them or something. This would have been at least like 10 years ago or so if I recall. I remember buying a sextet of SED winged C 6550s at the time for my Herbert as a result.
My memory of specifics is a bit sketch, but ya, there were a lot of Diezels running those exact tubes at that time - SED =C= 6550 - whether it was a stock factory tube, can't say for sure. And this was around the 2007 era give or take. I remember it well, but somewhere along the line, 6550 in VH4s was given the hairy eyeball a la Papa, even thought they sounded sick in that amp. He was citing their heat/current/pV pull, and stress on the amp as concerns at that time; then there was the Ruby EL34BHT/B-STR or whatever letters followed tubes...etc etc etc.

My memory of specifics is a bit sketch, but ya, there were a lot of Diezels running those exact tubes at that time - SED =C= 6550 - whether it was a stock factory tube, can't say for sure. And this was around the 2007 era give or take. I remember it well, but somewhere along the line, 6550 in VH4s was given the hairy eyeball a la Papa, even thought they sounded sick in that amp. He was citing their heat/current/pV pull, and stress on the amp as concerns at that time; then there was the Ruby EL34BHT/B-STR or whatever letters followed tubes...etc etc etc.
I know he hates Kt88s but mixing them with 6l6s was awesome

Essentially the Adam Jones setup. I've read before he intentionally runs one amp out of phase with the others. What kind of signal router do you use to achieve this? Does it make a difference if it's a 2 or 3 amp setup? I'm thinking if two amps are in phase and one is out, then the effects of the one out of phase amp is minimal and mainly serves to provide a 'swirling' texture, or a different series of harmonics that subtlety blends in with the others. If the setup is only 2 amps that are out of phase with each other, then wouldn't everything be out of phase and potentially wash out a large chunk of the frequency spectrum? I'm not experienced with this kind of setup so any further insight is appreciated.
I use a Keeley Framptone to hook 3 amps up at once . It also has switches to be in phase or out of phase . It’s expensive for just that use . But I love it

Back