Mitch Malloy sing’n VH

I hate to see vocalists butcher songs that way. Peeps pay good money to be able to go and sing along or whatever and their mellow gets harshed by a dude who decides to cut out entire, critical melodic phrases, seemingly at-random. It was frustrating to listen to and I didn't even pay a dime. :LOL:

Anyway, thanks for sharing man. Was still awesome 'cause, well, it was VH. :rock:

What is funnier is that there are even hundreds of comments saying how awesome Cherone was live and any band would be lucky to have him. Ed apparently recognized this genius and enlisted him. ..... yeah I know... I love Extreme but I could honestly just listen to the albums with no vocals because Nuno's playing is that good.

I forsee PT and Mitch seeking out alex and Mike, along with Sammy and Wolfie for one offs...Its not that far out of reach and a hood idea on Mitchband PT to try and make $$.
PT has been loaning himself out for every pedal and amp out there. So why not
I predicted a while back that bands would start doing this sort of thing. We are seeing it with Whitesnake. Coverdale is finally going to retire (15 years too late) and is probably going to make Whitesnake an enterprise and have Dino as his employee. " More chest Dino, more chest! Tighter jeans, more rips and frey spots in those jeans young fella! This is Whitesnake not Dio!"

I think I am one of the few that dug the VH/Cherone era. It wasn't as good as the VH/Roth era but it was better than the VH/Hagar era.

I thought it was different in a good way.
I’m with you man, I loved the Cherone era, but I love anything Van Halen, no matter the era. They were all progressions in Eddie’s playing and vision so to me they each have their place. If I need something deeper and though provoking I go Cherone era, and if I wanna party and Bang chicks I go roth era, and if that one night stand turns into a regular thing I always ask Sammy how do I know when it’s love 🤘🏻

Honestly. Never heard a Gary evh song. WAs overseas. He sing the tornado song ?
Not being a ass. But that period slipped by me.
All I remember was Sammy was out. Dave back in.

• Haha
Reactions: Geo
Honestly. Never heard a Gary evh song. WAs overseas. He sing the tornado song ?
Not being a ass. But that period slipped by me.
All I remember was Sammy was out. Dave back in.
No, he didn't sing the tornado song, that was sammy when he was on his way out.

VH3 was a very unique album, not like any other VH album, you may like it.

I think if GC had a chance to do one more album, it would have gelled better, he was just thrown in on a moments notice.

Not feeling Malloy’s vocals at all. Sounds incredibly dime a dozen. No real character to it. But then Cherone’s voice technically has character, but Van Halen didn’t need to feel like Les Miserable either…lol watching some of those Malloy vids, It’s like a 2 part tutorial on EVH where the first part is “These are the notes and the tone” and part two is “this the feel and attitude” but part 2 hasn’t been released yet.

Not feeling Malloy’s vocals at all. Sounds incredibly dime a dozen. No real character to it. But then Cherone’s voice technically has character, but Van Halen didn’t need to feel like Les Miserable either…lol watching some of those Malloy vids, It’s like a 2 part tutorial on EVH where the first part is “These are the notes and the tone” and part two is “this the feel and attitude” but part 2 hasn’t been released yet.

Agreed. He's a good singer. You would hear him and think yeah this guy can sing. But he wouldn't be my first choice in a room full of vocalists. You know what I think it is? The way he enunciates. Everything is too clear and he doesn't have an ounce of swing or sleaze in him. Anyone who sort of knows a bit about singing knows there are riffs and things you do. DLR does a lot of this sort of thing because of his influences. Mitch didn't pick up on any of those nuances at all.

Last edited:
Just caught a vid I had forgotten about, with Pete playing with Sebastian Bach and Steve Stevens from years back, where he just slays the solo in Hot For Teacher.

Yeah, that one was posted in the thread that got deleted IIRC mate.

I agree; he nailed the solo in that one. He added a little more mucking around in this one IMHO, whereas the other one cut through more.

Yeah, that one was posted in the thread that got deleted IIRC mate.

I agree; he nailed the solo in that one. He added a little more mucking around in this one IMHO, whereas the other one cut through more.
It did sound weird though, hearing a rhythm guitar underneath it from Stevens.

Yeah, the mix made this one easier-to-hear for sure, and it sounded great, but as we agree, the other solo was better.

Back