Pickup help. Luxxbucker Hot to much High End

boneyard

Had a El Machete with a Luxxbucker Hot Bridge and it had a lot of high end. Waiting on a new to me El Machete with the Luxxbucker Hot and if it has that same high end I’d like to change it. I was thinking BKP VH2’s or Holy Divers? I play Rock... Black Crows, Great White to the 80’s. I use a Friedman BE100DLX and Twin Sister. I am open to suggestions.

Thanks, Matt

The Luxxbucker hot can be that way. I wouldn't bother honestly with any BKP's. They're just a downgrade compared to Arcane's and will be comparatively sterile and flat sounding. If you can afford it, I'd say just get Tone Specific pickups like the Virtuoso set unless you need something hotter. If out of budget, maybe try a Wagner Darkburst or Wolfetone Marshallhead. I personally prefer those to the Arcane's

Had a El Machete with a Luxxbucker Hot Bridge and it had a lot of high end. Waiting on a new to me El Machete with the Luxxbucker Hot and if it has that same high end I’d like to change it. I was thinking BKP VH2’s or Holy Divers? I play Rock... Black Crows, Great White to the 80’s. I use a Friedman BE100DLX and Twin Sister. I am open to suggestions.

Thanks, Matt
Hey Matt. LP Freak already mentioned this... I would check the pots first. Maybe yours is over 500K, and finding one that is a bit under 500K could be just enough to solve your problem. I just switched from a pot that read 540K to a new one at about 470K. A subtle change, but it was enough to solve my issue.

I've got Luxxbucker Hot pickups in 3 of my guitars. None of them sound overly bright for my tastes.

Hey Matt. LP Freak already mentioned this... I would check the pots first. Maybe yours is over 500K, and finding one that is a bit under 500K could be just enough to solve your problem. I just switched from a pot that read 540K to a new one at about 470K. A subtle change, but it was enough to solve my issue.
I've got Luxxbucker Hot pickups in 3 of my guitars. None of them sound overly bright for my tastes.
Was gonna say this too, I have 3 guitars with this pickup and they aren’t overly bright, two of them being swamp ash even. Be curious to know what amp you’re playing them through

What is the EQ curve on these -- bumped mids, scooped mids? Are they similar to any Duncan?

Thanks for the suggestions! I will check the pot after I receive and try the guitar. If it’s bright and reads over 500k I will try changing that first. I am hopeful it will be good right off the bat. I’m not up to date on pickups...

I do have a 1980’s Gibson Flying V that I picked recently that’s ugly as hell, beat up and totally NOT anywhere near original.. paid $100 for it... it actually plays great and the pickup combination really works in that guitar (Seymour Duncan’s of some sort) so I know the right pickups for the specific woods can really make or break a guitar.

Matt

The Luxxbucker hot can be that way. I wouldn't bother honestly with any BKP's. They're just a downgrade compared to Arcane's and will be comparatively sterile and flat sounding. If you can afford it, I'd say just get Tone Specific pickups like the Virtuoso set unless you need something hotter. If out of budget, maybe try a Wagner Darkburst or Wolfetone Marshallhead. I personally prefer those to the Arcane's
Thanks braintheory. I will take a look into your suggestions. There are so many options out there now.

Matt

Since you are using a BE100 deluxe with all that gain maybe you would be happier with lower output pickups in the PAF' ish range say 8-9.5K with an A-2/A/3 magnet if you worried about being bright with an A-5. Since they are less overwound they are more even sounding with less mid emphasis.

I highly recommend the Seymour Duncan 78 model, it's a fabulous PAF pickup asymmetric wind with balls and grunt but sweet at the same time, don't get caught up in "It's only for VH stuff". Judging by what you listed that you mostly play it would be a good matchup IMHO.

I'm starting to appreciate lower output pickups as I mature in taste. Funny my all time favortie pickup is a late 70's Duncan Seymorizer II with a ceramic magnet that measures 12K for a hotter PAF with more grind.

I'm starting to appreciate lower output pickups as I mature in taste. Funny my all time favortie pickup is a late 70's Duncan Seymorizer II with a ceramic magnet that measures 12K for a hotter PAF with more grind.

That would be a cool pickup to try

Since you are using a BE100 deluxe with all that gain maybe you would be happier with lower output pickups in the PAF' ish range say 8-9.5K with an A-2/A/3 magnet if you worried about being bright with an A-5. Since they are less overwound they are more even sounding with less mid emphasis.

I highly recommend the Seymour Duncan 78 model, it's a fabulous PAF pickup asymmetric wind with balls and grunt but sweet at the same time, don't get caught up in "It's only for VH stuff". Judging by what you listed that you mostly play it would be a good matchup IMHO.

I have found lower output pickups sound fuller with a higher gain amp. I will give it a try and might look into the Luxxbucker Old School if it’s to much. My BKP Rebel Yells in the Les Paul sounds good but is overkill with the gain available...

That would be a cool pickup to try
They're kind of hard to find now I bought two extras to have around years ago but they do pop up every now and then. It was Seymour's hot PAF right before he came out with the Custom and the Distortion, it just has less mid emphasis and just a bit less output....it's a wailer though....... Duncan then used the Seymourizer II wind as the complimentary neck pickup for the Distortion matched pickup sets. So you can still buy that wind today but he calls it the SH-6N neck pickup if you want to take that wind for a spin......:yes:

Last edited:
I have found lower output pickups sound fuller with a higher gain amp. I will give it a try and might look into the Luxxbucker Old School if it’s to much. My BKP Rebel Yells in the Les Paul sounds good but is overkill with the gain available...
My 78 Model measures 9.1K but you'd think it was a much hotter pickup it was wound by MJ as was my Allan Holdsworth/Jake E Lee pickup. Even though I feel the MM1400 pickup was used on VH1 I won't pull the 78 out of my Frank because it does so many things well outside of EVH and just sounds great and has great feel and dynamics, it's also tight but has some give to it so I would never guess it was an A-2 quite honestly.

I had a set of Arcane's Triple clone PAF's but I never installed them, I really wanted to hear them though. I think the 78 model would surprise you and they are readily available.

TheEric Steckel Candy PAF's is another Duncan that interests me.....

Last edited:
They're kind of hard to find now I bought two extras to have around years ago but they do pop up every now and then. It was Seymour's hot PAF right before he came out with the Custom and the Distortion, it just has less mid emphasis and just a bit less output....it's a wailer though....... Duncan then used the Seymourizer II wind as the complimentary neck pickup for the Distortion matched pickup sets. So you can still buy that wind today but he calls it the SH-6N neck pickup if you want to take that wind for a spin......:yes:

I'm guessing the Duncan Custom Shop might be able to wind the SH-7 too

I'm guessing the Duncan Custom Shop might be able to wind the SH-7 too
I'm not sure they would wind a custom shop SH-6N any different than the standard model. I guess one could ask for it to be made to the 1970's Seymourizer II specs and see what they say, as far as I know they have all the old specs of every pickup they ever made in the custom shop. I had a nice discussion with MJ when I ordered my Allan Holdsworth wind they did for Jake E Lee and she pulled up the specs while I was on the phone with her and confirmed what they were and then I ordered it. Or you could just pick up a SH-6N to see if you liked it enough to invest in a custom shop build or just look for an old one. I know the magnets and baseplates with buytrate bobbins were different back then just how much different is up for speculation.

I'm not sure they would wind a custom shop SH-6N any different than the standard model. I guess one could ask for it to be made to the 1970's Seymourizer II specs and see what they say, as far as I know they have all the old specs of every pickup they ever made in the custom shop. I had a nice discussion with MJ when I ordered my Allan Holdsworth wind they did for Jake E Lee and she pulled up the specs while I was on the phone with her and confirmed what they were and then I ordered it. Or you could just pick up a SH-6N to see if you liked it enough to invest in a custom shop build or just look for an old one. I know the magnets and baseplates with buytrate bobbins were different back then just how much different is up for speculation.

After I posted that I went to Duncan's website and looked at the specs. You're right, the neck version seems close enough. Thanks!

After I posted that I went to Duncan's website and looked at the specs. You're right, the neck version seems close enough. Thanks!
I just checked my two vintage Seymourizer II's and they measure 12.51K ohms and 12.71K ohms respectively. Seymour basically took what was originally a bridge pickup and made it a neck pickup by proxy once he wound the Custom to 14K and the Distortion to 16K. I think the JB was his original hot pickup in the 70's.

I had bought a box of pickups up in Chicago that had about one of everything at the time, Dimarzio SD, Dimarzio PAFpro, SeymourizerII, Bill Lawrence L500, I can't remember what other ones but there weren't too many hot pickups in 1984/85. I just kept changing them out then playing them until I found something that I liked. I had no idea the Seymourizer II was or became a neck pickup it sounded great so I went with it, and I'm glad I did, I love that pickup. It's been in my number one guitar all these years and it still wails three refrets later!

I think you'll dig it, it retains a lot of clarity and articulation like a PAF but it's high output and gets killer crunch when you dig in..... It's not quite a PAF and it's not quite a full on Distortion. It's interesting both the MM1300(DSD clone) and Dimarzio Super Distortion are around 13K both of those have more hair the Duncan is sweeter IMHO.

Here's a vintage Seymourizer II installed a Frankie build I did for my brother doing VH straight into a Mod 5 50 watt amp no boost no EQ, totally dry. It's tight but it clanks like a PAF and not as much mid compression as a Duncan Custom IMHO.

Was gonna say this too, I have 3 guitars with this pickup and they aren’t overly bright, two of them being swamp ash even. Be curious to know what amp you’re playing them through
Wasn't sure if you were asking me or the OP. I usually use a couple of old Marshalls ('71 Super Lead, and a Major modded by Michael RT) or a Morris XSIII. Two of my Luxxbucker Hot pickups are in Swamp Ash guitars, and one of them is in an alder body super strat.

Last edited:
Back