finally got both of my 7's in the house and I can't decide which one to keep

kmanick

finally got my RG7620 back from my tech (new pickups and a slight tune up). I've been
playing my Carvin while it was away and now that it's back I can't decide which one to keep (only need one 7)
I know ..... first world Problems
bVuddHp.jpg

I’d keep the Ibanez, love the RG’s. Like the pointy horns hard edge over the rounded body and soft horns.

they both play and sound really good, but I think I am leaning towards the 7620 a bit.
the Carvin is neck through Mahogany body maple neck . quilt maple top
the Ibby is of course bolt on Basswood, so they do sound a bit different from each other, but one does not sound "better" than the other , just a bit different.
this is like the 6th 7620 I've had since 2005 when I got into playing 7's,...... feels like home. (2nd DC727)
I am actually contemplating selling them both and going for something like an RG3727 but I'm a bit worried the necks on those would be similar to the RG752's (which I also owned and was not a huge fan of) and the Z-trem is kind of "meh" compared to these early edge trems.
Luckily I am in no rush

they both play and sound really good, but I think I am leaning towards the 7620 a bit.
the Carvin is neck through Mahogany body maple neck . quilt maple top
the Ibby is of course bolt on Basswood, so they do sound a bit different from each other, but one does not sound "better" than the other , just a bit different.
this is like the 6th 7620 I've had since 2005 when I got into playing 7's,...... feels like home. (2nd DC727)
I am actually contemplating selling them both and going for something like an RG3727 but I'm a bit worried the necks on those would be similar to the RG752's (which I also owned and was not a huge fan of) and the Z-trem is kind of "meh" compared to these early edge trems.
Luckily I am in no rush
Is the 752 closer to the 1527?

Is the 752 closer to the 1527?
The 752 is similar to the latest 1527.

7620: 65ish mm wide heel and Lo Pro 7 trem
1527: all have Edge Pro 7 trem. Early skunk stripe necks have a 66ish mm heel. The five piece necks are 68mm I think. Much wider than the 7620
752: return of the Lo Pro 7. Same width neck as the last 1527

Personally, l like the wide neck and the Lo Pro, so 752 is my fav. I am not a fan of the narrow 7620 neck.

The 752 is similar to the latest 1527.

7620: 65ish mm wide heel and Lo Pro 7 trem
1527: all have Edge Pro 7 trem. Early skunk stripe necks have a 66ish mm heel. The five piece necks are 68mm I think. Much wider than the 7620
752: return of the Lo Pro 7. Same width neck as the last 1527

Personally, l like the wide neck and the Lo Pro, so 752 is my fav. I am not a fan of the narrow 7620 neck.
I've had several of the 7620s and 1527s and you're right about the sizes and trems. I just wasn't sure which the 752s were closer to. They're compatible to a certain degree. The guitar in my avatar is a 2002 7420 body with a 1998 7620 neck with a 2006 edge pro from a 1527 (I just had to remove the red plastic ball/string holders). I've also had some after market maple necks made by Perle that are 65/66mm. I wish the 68s fit with all the others.

I've never owned a 1527, but I've been told by several Ibanez dealers that the earlier 1527's (even the wider neck ones) had similar neck profiles to the 7620's. I found the neck on the 752AHM I used to own much "bigger" feeling than a 7620 neck. didn't hate it , but didn't love it either.
I may pull the trigger on a 1527 just to check one out, I too , prefer a little wider neck than the 7620. I wish the 1527's came with the earlier
Lo Pro trems like the 752's do.

Moving from a 7620 to a 752 might feel like you're gripping an aircraft carrier. The difference is pretty stark. I'm not sensitive to neck shapes and prefer the width because I guess I'm sloppy and sometimes put a string off the frets with the narrow 7620.

I came here to say you should decide based on

1. what feels best
2. what sounds best
3. what looks best
4. re-sale ability/rareness

In that order.

7620 no question. The necks are awesome.

I’m not a 7 player but I keep one around because they’re the best 7 I’ve tried. Mine has BKP Miracle Man pups and it sounds terrific.

7620 no question. The necks are awesome.

I’m not a 7 player but I keep one around because they’re the best 7 I’ve tried. Mine has BKP Miracle Man pups and it sounds terrific.
if BK did not jack their prices I'd have them in both of them . Bk 7 string pickups are great . I've had the Miracleman, rebel Yell, HolyDiver and the Nailbomb in previous 7620's and other 7's I've owned in the past All 4 sounded great. The Pegasus is pretty good, I just got it back so I'm still playing with it (taps really nicely). The JB/59 combo actually sounds really good in the Carvin.

I came here to say you should decide based on

1. what feels best
2. what sounds best
3. what looks best
4. re-sale ability/rareness

In that order.
Both feel very good, each has it's own +/-'s
both sound very similar LOL!
looks are subjective, I wish the Carvin was one without the rounded edges,
but I've gotten plenty of compliments on both.
Ibanez will kill in resale, the market for 7620's is always good.

Both feel very good, each has it's own +/-'s
both sound very similar LOL!
looks are subjective, I wish the Carvin was one without the rounded edges,
but I've gotten plenty of compliments on both.
Ibanez will kill in resale, the market for 7620's is always good.

I'm sure it is a tough decision but looks like the general consensus is to keep the Ibby. Personally, so you know, I don't care so much for those rounded edges on the Carvin nor the gold hardware but that's just me.

Back