I see a lot of new faces here

Average age I'd say is between 40 and 50 if not a bit higher.
It's crazy to think we are that old now! When Chris and Bob created RT, I was 25. It has been 17 years. Before that, it was the Harmony Central Amp Forum. I used to love getting on there every day to read the flame wars, the opinions, listen to clips, learn and share what I had learned. It all carried over to here. Getting married and having 2 kids pulled me a way, but I always enjoy coming back "home" to see what you're all up to these days.

Out of the blue I get a call from Kage a few days ago. Hadn't heard from him in over a decade. He quit guitar for a long while and is now getting back into it.

I see a lot of new faces here. Just wondering why?

Dudes with 10 - 200 posts that I just don't recognize. Curious if you dudes are posting more on R-T because TGP is lame? Is it because you feel like you can express yourself better here without backlash? Is it because you dudes are just trying to get to 50 posts so you can B/S/T? Are you dudes just getting back into guitar again after a break?

Just curious.

I mean if you are, then welcome to R-T. :yes: Post up. Tell us your story. Most of us regulars really like this place and we pretty much all get along real well, even when we disagree. We have very little spam/trolling as well. We have kick ass Mods too - which helps. Carry on.
Mostly because TGP is lame...but lame is putting it lightly. Harmony Central was where I used to get and share info what seems like 20 years ago. I migrated to TGP, but after checking them out for a few years and not feeling like trying to find another forum, christ that's the wrong crowd for me. I like different guitars and amps even if I don't like playing them or the tones they produce. I can appreciate good craftsmanship and tone seeking, but I don't really care about someone scoring a new hollowbody to play clean through some amp I'll never consider buying. I'll google gear reviews and to look for new stuff, but RigTalk never popped up until I started looking for guitar pickups made in Michigan. I learned about Motor City Pickups, started googling them for info, and this place kept coming up. Hence my first post here. I've been watching Reverb for a few weeks, but I haven't seen one of their pickups popup. Seems like one of their pickups pops up here about once a month. It'd be nice to not drop the cash on new pickups and to not have to wait a few months either, but we'll see how much effort it takes me to get to 50 posts so I can use the Classifieds here. Skimming some of the posts here, this might be a better fitting gear forum for me than TGP. I'm just going to stay out of the OT forums, they look like a bunch of shit storms.

Mostly because TGP is lame...but lame is putting it lightly. Harmony Central was where I used to get and share info what seems like 20 years ago. I migrated to TGP, but after checking them out for a few years and not feeling like trying to find another forum, christ that's the wrong crowd for me. I like different guitars and amps even if I don't like playing them or the tones they produce. I can appreciate good craftsmanship and tone seeking, but I don't really care about someone scoring a new hollowbody to play clean through some amp I'll never consider buying. I'll google gear reviews and to look for new stuff, but RigTalk never popped up until I started looking for guitar pickups made in Michigan. I learned about Motor City Pickups, started googling them for info, and this place kept coming up. Hence my first post here. I've been watching Reverb for a few weeks, but I haven't seen one of their pickups popup. Seems like one of their pickups pops up here about once a month. It'd be nice to not drop the cash on new pickups and to not have to wait a few months either, but we'll see how much effort it takes me to get to 50 posts so I can use the Classifieds here. Skimming some of the posts here, this might be a better fitting gear forum for me than TGP. I'm just going to stay out of the OT forums, they look like a bunch of shit storms.
If you don't hit your fifty and want to buy something you see. Someone can make an intro and tell the seller to reach out to you.

Helps you and the seller.

Personally I like the occasional insanity and personalities. There’s a lot of cool people and good information here. There’s really only so many people on earth that have been able to try oddball amps or have information and insight under the hood of these things. I learn a lot (particularly about gear before my time…I’m 32) and it’s entertaining. I got rid of social media because I didn’t want to see a fucking cat 40 times a day. This is a better use of my time.

Out of the blue I get a call from Kage a few days ago. Hadn't heard from him in over a decade. He quit guitar for a long while and is now getting back into it.
I wish Kage would call me. I'm gonna be in the NYC area this summer, I'm a jabrone and need some protection. Maybe we could all do a meetup.

I migrated from TGP a few years ago after an....issue with a former mod there.

This place is far, far better for people who actually play music. Plus I've never had an issue with BST here. AND the mods are all really cool.

Welcome new guys!
I had a few run-ins with Big Mike. Also got a ban for saying the John Mayor Silver Sky looked "ghey" when it came out. Apparently it was "disrespecting an artist", but I think they got butthurt because there's a gazillion Two Rock Fanboys over there and Mayor was a big endorsee with a Two Rock signature that those guys had a crush on him for.

All they talk about is these days is clean amps anymore, and Bonamassa's Van Weeldons and Dumbles, Carr Ramblers and Fenders have been the flavor of the month for 5-6 years now.

Last edited:
I had a few run-ins with Big Mike. Also got a ban for saying the John Mayor Silver Sky looked "ghey" when it came out. Apparently it was "disrespecting an artist", but I think they got butthurt because there's a gazillion Two Rock Fanboys over there and Mayor was a big endorsee with a Two Rock signature that those guys had a crush on him for.

All they talk about is these days is clean amps anymore, and Bonamassa's Van Weeldons and Dumbles, Carr Ramblers and Fenders have been the flavor of the month for 5-6 years now.

Yeah. Same TBH.

"A Baja tele and an ac15 will do ya" - TGP whenever someone asks for a recommendation

Yeah. Same TBH.

"A Baja tele and an ac15 will do ya" - TGP whenever someone asks for a recommendation
"Look pal, how loud do you REALLY plan on getting.."
81A8879B-4561-4A8C-BB3E-474A1310712B.jpeg

Yeah. Same TBH.

Who plays that shit? Not that a tele or ac15 are like pure crap, but I've never been in a bar or even an open mic where someone is up there strumming through that kind of stuff. That place - TGP - has like some kind of agenda that pulses through people there. The stuff they recommend or push is so out of context.

If you don't hit your fifty and want to buy something you see. Someone can make an intro and tell the seller to reach out to you.

Helps you and the seller.
Thanks for that info! It seems out there to have to build a rep here when I've been buying, selling and trading elsewhere, even have 5 stars over 50+ transactions on Reverb, but I still understand why.

I will also add that reading through the forums here, the topics and recommendations given are much more up my alley than elsewhere I've participated.

I wish Kage would call me. I'm gonna be in the NYC area this summer, I'm a jabrone and need some protection. Maybe we could all do a meetup.

Kage is awesome. He used to call me at work in the afternoon to chit-chat about guitar and family. He also got my money back from that NYC scammer Harry Kolbe. Kage just showed up at his workshop and that solved the problem instantly LOL.

I want to say thank you to everyone on here. I don’t have many posts to my name. I have been a lurker here mostly. I will say everyone has been gracious and positive with their feedback sent my way as it relates to my questions. I am getting back to playing my gear again after having nerve issues with my neck which subsequently caused problems with my hands. So, it has been interesting getting back to things. Thanks again

I want to say thank you to everyone on here. I don’t have many posts to my name. I have been a lurker here mostly. I will say everyone has been gracious and positive with their feedback sent my way as it relates to my questions. I am getting back to playing my gear again after having nerve issues with my neck which subsequently caused problems with my hands. So, it has been interesting getting back to things. Thanks again
Wishing you continued success and Rig-Talking. Nice selection of amps you have - seems to cover most bases. :yes:

Back