Single Malt Scottish Whisky

WGAF

Banned
I thought let's see what you guys drink & think? To be sure, Scotch whisky is not US whiskey, aka: bourbon.

The beauty of drinking 'single malt' scotch is you don't get a headache or a hangover. Same can be said for a high end cognac.

FTR: All Johnny Walker expressions are BLENDED scotch & not considered by knowledgeable, authentic scotch drinkers.

Okay, I'll go first.

For the beginner I present Glenmorangie. A very easy & tasty single malt scotch.

81zew5I9KWL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Intermediate is the Highland Park 12. A tremendous drop that is tame but classy. The taste never offends & delights many seasoned drinkers.

highland-park-12-anos-viking-honour.jpg

We now step into the peaty market & I present a very nice drop indeed. Not cheap so be warned & generally an acquired taste to many. For the serious scotch drinker who knows what they're doing.

lagavulin-16-year-old-whisky.jpg

Of course there are many, many more but they're variations on a theme with only slight differences to the main menu.

Lagavulin is alright, but pricey for the profile it has. It just seems a little light to me. I far prefer Laphroaig or Ardbeg if I want a peaty, smoky scotch. Laphroaig is my number 1 go to. Even the 10 year old is glorious. I used to get the cask strength when it was available and that was a beautiful punch to the throat. Smells of leather, smoke and peat, and a caramel overtone on the tongue. Such a joyous concoction.

I should open up some boxes and pull out some of the crazy scotches I have collected over the years. My liquor collection in out of control. Taliskers,Caol Ila,Laphroigs,Glenfarclas...some as old as 21 to 25 years. The oldest is a 33 year old Creag Isle. I got so crazy collecting I even went super weirdo and duplicated fictional scotches like Glengoulie(from the show Archer). I got the fake labels from etsy.

I have a Jagermeister bottle with a label that say Masterbater (made with shameful remorse). I have whiskey with Mandalorian lables(Skirata's Choice)with Mando sayings on it in the Mando language.

At last count there are over 168 unopened bottles in the collection. Almost every Absolut(21 at last count),the whole Crown royal collection including Monarch,an insaneo tequila collection with lots of one off rarities. Collecting liquor was way cheaper than collecting gear.

Hello Rottingcorpse, my name is MrDowntown...I'd love to be your drinking buddy. :D

The Glenlivet, Glenmorangie, Glenfiddich...I feel like anything 12 years and out I just can't go wrong. Best I ever had was a bottle of Glenfiddich 21 I convinced my boss to buy few Christmases ago. No one wanted it... I loved every drop.

Marty, did you manage to get your hands on the Bundy Rum?

Hello Rottingcorpse, my name is MrDowntown...I'd love to be your drinking buddy. :D
Hands off, Franki; he's mine! :gay:

Best I ever had was a bottle of Glenfiddich 21 I convinced my boss to buy few Christmases ago. No one wanted it... I loved every drop.
No one wanted it? Unbelievable. Proves what the world has come to - Soy Boys! :LOL:

No monkeyman,I never did get another bottle of Bundy. Had one a bro from Australia brought to me at the last Dean guitars D.O.A. party I went to. A piece of shit family member drank it and then told me he would replace it,not knowing he couldn't just go to the liquor store and buy it. I still want to stab that fucker for dicking me over. Had to stash my liquor collection in storage ever since. Hope to have a safe room for my gear and liquor one day,but as of now my gear is strewn out in 3 friends houses and a storage unit.

I just got a 10 year talisker,a 12 year caol ila,and a 14 year clynelish from touch of modern last month. You would be blown away what you can get in the mail from cask cartel. Expensive sometimes,but worth it if you can't find what your looking for locally.

I am a big fan of Balvanie Double Wood. I have had a lot of good scotch but I came to the realization long ago, that I am a bourbon guy.

that cask cartel is awesome Martin. I don't think you can get booze shipped in wv though.

Look at the shipping info on the website. If it doesn't list your state on the "cannot ship to list",you CAN get liquor sent to you. Technically it's illegal to ship liquor in,around and to Texas. But I have gotten at least a dozen bottles from caskcartel.com. I have it sent to my sister's business address and her lady at the front desk signs for it. That's how I have scored a lot of rarities for my collection.

I will admit I have had some stuff sent to other states,and then to me through friends. I just picked up a case(yes...a case)of The Wall tequila that I had the distributor send to Lawton OK last month that a best bro picked up at the liquor store for me. Why a case? Gifts for friends that love the bottle.

Check out Bomb City vodka on Facebook. Had to get two of those for the collection. They fucking light up! Had a best bro get his friend in Amarillo to pick them up from the factory bar and send them to me! Coolest bottle ever.

https://m.facebook.com/bombcitydistillery/

Last edited:
Some buddies and I get it shipped to NC which surprised me. NC liquor sales is still Gov controlled via ABC stores. We get ours from Caskers.com

I'm baffled by that Cask Cartel site. They are licensed to ship wine to South Dakota, but aren't blocking any attempt to ship scotch. I may have to give it a shot since I can't source my favorites locally anymore. It's like with the pandemic suddenly the entire population around here turned into heavy peat scotch drinkers.

I enjoy many a scotch whiskey but Laphroaig is my go to. Absolutely love the peaty taste. Oban is another favorite followed by Ardberg and Lagavulin.

not my cup of tea....damn....I can only seem to stomach Irish whiskey. Not american, canadian or scottish....strange....only the Irish....

not my cup of tea....damn....I can only seem to stomach Irish whiskey. Not american, canadian or scottish....strange....only the Irish....
Single Malt Scotch is an acquired taste and once you achieve it there is NO looking back at anything else.
I could brush my teeth with it and still be enjoying it.

Stay in there with it and sip it, hold it on your tongue for approx. 30 sec then swallow it.
Rest for a minute or 2 and you'll WANT another.

Single Malt Scotch is an acquired taste and once you achieve it there is NO looking back at anything else.
I could brush my teeth with it and still be enjoying it.

Stay in there with it and sip it, hold it on your tongue for approx. 30 sec then swallow it.
Rest for a minute or 2 and you'll WANT another.
nope....still did not help. I dunno....

Back