NAD : Wizard Modern Classic II

Regarding your comment on the Naylor and lower volumes, it took some time getting to know it, but I found I could get the MCI sounding great, and I dare say, better than the Naylor at lower volumes.
Anyway, I'm jealous. I want an MCII.
My 2010 MC100 had a sweet spot very LOW on the master, like night time kids are sleeping volume, that sounded like the amp was gonna blow scenario….very cool sound. No idea what caused it or if it was even intended but there it was

My 2010 MC100 had a sweet spot very LOW on the master, like night time kids are sleeping volume, that sounded like the amp was gonna blow scenario….very cool sound. No idea what caused it or if it was even intended but there it was
Cool! Nothing like the sound of an amp about to blow.
A lot of amps seems to have that lil wiggle room before you actually get into increasing the volume, where some kind weird stuff happens.

Last edited:

Every one of the Wizards I've owned had the ability to sound like an engine about to blow at low volume...in a very good way. Great, great, great low volume amps IMHO.

Every one of the Wizards I've owned had the ability to sound like an engine about to blow at low volume...in a very good way. Great, great, great low volume amps IMHO.
I totally agree…
They sound absolutely phenomenal at any volume level, but, compared to other amplifiers in the same class, they sound fantastic at low volumes.
My only beef, and it’s a minor one, I wish there was a master volume as the volumes are so freaking touchy, it’s hard to get them to the exact right levels for these old shaky hands, but once you do, look out!👍

I totally agree…
They sound absolutely phenomenal at any volume level, but, compared to other amplifiers in the same class, they sound fantastic at low volumes.
My only beef, and it’s a minor one, I wish there was a master volume as the volumes are so freaking touchy, it’s hard to get them to the exact right levels for these old shaky hands, but once you do, look out!👍

An MXR 10 band in the loop using it's volume slider solves this for me. Like having a second master with much more precise control.

Last edited:
I totally agree…
Some of em have an effects loop that uses send and return volumes. Most handy.

Some of em have an effects loop that uses send and return volumes. Most handy.
Absolutely, but if I want to use the loop, switching it in and out, it doesn’t work too well when you disengage the loop and you get three times the volume… You know what I mean,
but you’re absolutely right, for messing around, the loop volumes work well👍

My MTL2 sounds perfect at low master on the knob but still is loud af . It’s wild . Vinnie Paul was saying Dime never had his wizard too loud in the studio and it’s was the razor sharp part of domes tone

My MTL2 sounds perfect at low master on the knob but still is loud af . It’s wild . Vinnie Paul was saying Dime never had his wizard too loud in the studio and it’s was the razor sharp part of domes tone
When did he use a Wiz? I thought it was all Randall stuff….

When did he use a Wiz? I thought it was all Randall stuff….
The wizard is all over Pantera . After dime died terry date and vinnie Paul both said they ALWAYS had a tube amp on every track blended in . Vinnie Paul states on Vulgar it was the Wizard . Here’s the statement from Guitar World mag.

Attachments

• 9FA54E2F-DB2F-4BA8-9774-6071E8FAED5C.jpeg
    9FA54E2F-DB2F-4BA8-9774-6071E8FAED5C.jpeg
    877 KB · Views: 97
The wizard is all over Pantera . After dime died terry date and vinnie Paul both said they ALWAYS had a tube amp on every track blended in . Vinnie Paul states on Vulgar it was the Wizard . Here’s the statement from Guitar World mag.
I did hear of Dime using Wizards around the Great Southern Trendkill era but not before that. That's interesting!

Ya with vinnie saying the Wizard is on Vulgar was cool info .
You think he may have mixed up Vulgar with Trendkill? Reason being Wizard amps began in '88/'89 in White Rock, British Columbia, Canada while Vulgar was recorded in '91 in the Abbots private studio in Texas. Wizards were very obscure and rare at that time. Maybe Dime had a Wizard modded Marshall during that earlier period.

You think he may have mixed up Vulgar with Trendkill? Reason being Wizard amps began in '88/'89 in White Rock, British Columbia, Canada while Vulgar was recorded in '91 in the Abbots private studio in Texas. Wizards were very obscure and rare at that time. Maybe Dime had a Wizard modded Marshall during that earlier period.
Possibly. I’ll ask Rick what albums he knows they are on it .he sent the gear list he knows Dime did use

Cool snippet. I'll have to revisit the album now.
What GW edition is it? I have a few on the shelf and would like to read the rest if I can.

great info about Dime and Wizards (y)
I had amp retubed by my tech and its is even better. He measure the output and it is 110W. He was impressed by the trannies and overall built. However the cross-talk/bleeding issue is not solved because there is some interaction on the power rail which pickup some signal and like he said before, it happens with higain amp. Loop hum is there too. I have to adress this one on Rick because is sound like grounding issue. Mine is '16 model.
Did anyone tried attenuator with MCII ? I tried Captor and it wasn't working at all, it kill all the 'Wizard essence'...

great info about Dime and Wizards (y)
I had amp retubed by my tech and its is even better. He measure the output and it is 110W. He was impressed by the trannies and overall built. However the cross-talk/bleeding issue is not solved because there is some interaction on the power rail which pickup some signal and like he said before, it happens with higain amp. Loop hum is there too. I have to adress this one on Rick because is sound like grounding issue. Mine is '16 model.
Did anyone tried attenuator with MCII ? I tried Captor and it wasn't working at all, it kill all the 'Wizard essence'...
Sorry if we hijacked thread for a moment.

Based on other people's experience, I would avoid the Boss TAE with Wizard amps. Could have been user error but more than one report of trannies blowing with that combo.

Back