Stupid amp descriptions/sayings...

"woody" is one i never understood, like do you get wood when playing the thing?
I think it means the amp goes "there's a snake in my boot".. but in that case, it would make the amp more slithering than others :p. What would that mean? LOL
1650035788138.png

You should read the descriptions of flower, (bud) on the dispensary websites. I have a Marijuana card, (heehee).. It's pretty funny what they come up with.
I have never liked pot, even as a teenager, but people I know who do try to describe the smells like “Spruce pine” or “citrus” but come on, it smells like a skunk’s asshole. If you like it anyway that’s fine but give me a break.

I have never liked pot, even as a teenager, but people I know who do try to describe the smells like “Spruce pine” or “citrus” but come on, it smells like a skunk’s asshole. If you like it anyway that’s fine but give me a break.
I do edibles, I don't smoke it. Haven't in years. But, my brother has a card too, and he does. Buys elaborate stuff, like Stupor Glue, Gorilla Glue, 9LB Hammer, Banana Hammock..

This is my best guess:

Contrast with "sterile." Neither is really better or worse, they're just different sounds.

Think of it as a scale, with SS like Randall or a jc120 at the most sterile, and a 59 fender bassman or a overdrive special as the most "organic."

What people are really talking about is the way the overdrive behaves - in general "organic" amps seem to be less grainy and more flubby as they overdrive, and more "sterile" amps are generally grainier and more tight, surgical.

ah ok, its basically just describing tube compression, still not a good term but i guess i kind of understand now lol

I do edibles, I don't smoke it. Haven't in years. But, my brother has a card too, and he does. Buys elaborate stuff, like Stupor Glue, Gorilla Glue, 9LB Hammer, Banana Hammock..
I’m sure there’s nothing quite like smoking a banana hammock.

Yep we were. Warm tends to be dark by my reading others posts..when I think of warm I think of midrange heavy which can be bright.
As far as feel goes, if you don’t understand the feel difference between amps, I feel bad for some of you since you’ve never experienced an amp where the feel is far different than any other amp. And it’s the amp, not the guitar. Playing a C+, Naylor, Wizard or a vintage Fender/Marshall there’s just a huge difference in how the guitar feels to play; vs a 6505, EVH, Splawn, Runt, Diavlo or any of the same 5 amps that the OP seems to rotate through every 6 months. Lol
As far as the other descriptions, maybe it’s easier to say “yeah I’ve played one. Sounds like shit compared to my Larry or Marshall or etc”. Instead of using descriptions that seem to confuse some of you. 😂

1. I would say, by indirect experience, that his Splawns are closer to a C+, Naylor or Wizard, then you give Splawns credit for :D And you can't use my clips as guide :LOL: You should try (again maybe) a well dialed in Splawn :yes:

2. Yes, now I remember. Warm vs Bright

I was having a hard time understanding how an amp can be warm AND bright at the same time. I see your definition and respect that. :yes:

Warm
, to me, is mello, dark, not open, saturated, mixed, not articulate, possibly flubby, acoustic like. JJ like.
Bright, to me, is sharp, articulate, fast tracking, open, aggressive, tight, etc etc. Tung Sol like.

As far as feel goes, if you don’t understand the feel difference between amps, I feel bad for some of you since you’ve never experienced an amp where the feel is far different than any other amp. And it’s the amp, not the guitar. Playing a C+, Naylor, Wizard or a vintage Fender/Marshall there’s just a huge difference in how the guitar feels to play; vs a 6505, EVH, Splawn, Runt, Diavlo

I read about the mythical feel of iic+’s and Cameron’s forever, then I played them and understood but it’s a hard thing to describe. It’s almost like having two equally hot chicks, you could have fun with either but that one just fucks better and is more fun than the other.

As far as the other descriptions, maybe it’s easier to say “yeah I’ve played one. Sounds like shit compared to my Larry or Marshall or etc”. Instead of using descriptions that seem to confuse some of you. 😂

Man that's a really good point actually 🤣

Cuz I mean, there IS a huge difference in feel, but unless someone has experienced it how do you describe it?

Using @RaceU4her analogy, it's like the difference between missionary with a dive bar 6.5 and doggy with a fancy winery 9.5 - but there's also questions of skill, experience, and style that come into play, too.

I never go full out when trying to explain my dino because I would probably sound nuts to someone who hasn't tried one before

yeah "organic" is another one i have no clue about
Yeah that's the one that gets me.

Chewy, woody, sag I get those.

Feeling - yeah get that one as it's important i.e. is it easy to play, is it fighting you, the response i.e. chewy, woody, sag, forgiving, non forgiving. .

But organic wtf?

Last edited:
1. I would say, by indirect experience, that his Splawns are closer to a C+, Naylor or Wizard, then you give Splawns credit for :D And you can't use my clips as guide :LOL: You should try (again maybe) a well dialed in Splawn :yes:

2. Yes, now I remember. Warm vs Bright

I was having a hard time understanding how an amp can be warm AND bright at the same time. I see your definition and respect that. :yes:

Warm, to me, is mello, dark, not open, saturated, mixed, not articulate, possibly flubby, acoustic like. JJ like.
Bright, to me, is sharp, articulate, fast tracking, open, aggressive, tight, etc etc. Tung Sol like.
Not a diss on Splawn brother; just poking fun at the predictable merry go round of sell/buy same amps rinse repeat. Of course we all do the same thing lol
I did play a QR and it had a huge set of balls; nice amp. The Nitro I didn’t care for.

Yeah that's the one that gets me.

Chewy, woody, sag I get those. Feeling - that one is says, I translate that to being is it easy to play it's not fighting you i.e. response. Forgiving vs. Non I get that as well.

But organic wtf?
Sterile vs Organic
I’ll take a shot. Sterile means to me there’s little harmonic content; flat sounding and un dynamic…boring…you can’t hear each string played when you chord…just doesn’t sound very good. Organic means high harmonic overtones; pleasing to hear any chord/run/single note stuff, great clarity, just sounds way better.
😬

Feel I understand. Sometimes people talk about how an amp “tracks” and it’s “responsiveness” and those to me are a part of “feel.”
This one too…plays/tracks fast…one example for me is playing an Axe FX vs the tube amp version. Axe tracks/responds super fast, ‘plays itself’ in a way. Really hides a players shortcomings imo. Vs most tube amps that have a minuscule ‘delay’ when playing to hearing it out of the speaker. Hardly measurable but you notice it when you play a modeler vs the real thing. A non EQ C+ vs a GEQ C+; the non eq has a slightly faster response. Plays itself.

This one too…plays/tracks fast…one example for me is playing an Axe FX vs the tube amp version. Axe tracks/responds super fast, ‘plays itself’ in a way. Really hides a players shortcomings imo. Vs most tube amps that have a minuscule ‘delay’ when playing to hearing it out of the speaker. Hardly measurable but you notice it when you play a modeler vs the real thing. A non EQ C+ vs a GEQ C+; the non eq has a slightly faster response. Plays itself.
This…

It takes me a few minutes to adjust my playing when going from solid state to tubes. 🤣

I have seen warm used a few different ways.
1- highs rolled off.
2- more low midrange.

Because there is no set guitar dictionary definition for any of these terms people use them for whatever they believe they mean.

Setting a standardized definition for all of these terms would be a good start.

Sterile vs Organic
I’ll take a shot. Sterile means to me there’s little harmonic content; flat sounding and un dynamic…boring…you can’t hear each string played when you chord…just doesn’t sound very good. Organic means high harmonic overtones; pleasing to hear any chord/run/single note stuff, great clarity, just sounds way better.
😬
Listen to the clean channel on a Peavey XXX. That's sterile, if I ever heard sterile.

Back