What strap locks are worth a damn?

Spaceboy

I had Schallers for years but got annoying with tightening the nut and how it made the strap sit oddly far from the guitar. I went to Loxx for awhile but one day one of those little nipples sheared off, so I don't trust them anymore. I've been using rubber gaskets for the past couple years, but since I'm on a wireless now I'd like to quickly switch a strap back and forth on my two main guitars with my wireless pack, so I gotta go back to a detachable strap lock. I see that Schaller has a new nut style but there's some other brands I don't even recognize. There's those Daddario straps that have built in lock mechanisms too. What's the style to get?

A couple years ago I decided to go with the Daddario locks. Over time I put them on so my guitars (~20). Can’t say they’re the “best” or anything, but been really happy with the decision and easily changeable across guitars.

These

10963-1-3000.jpg

I had Schallers for years but got annoying with tightening the nut and how it made the strap sit oddly far from the guitar.
I had Dunlop Straploks on everything for years but found the same thing - stuck out too much.

Ironically, I've since gone with Schallers, which are lower-profile and I love 'em. As for tightening the nuts, I've found that if I use a pair of pliers they stay put.

I have loads of guitars with Schaller Straplocks on them, and a few with Dunlops. About a year ago I read a neat post from someone who used rubber washers from the hardware store . . . I started doing that and I like them more than strap locks. You just put your strap on over the normal strap posts on your guitar and put a 59cent rubber washer over that. I can swing my guitar around my neck or pick it up by the strap or whatever and they don't come off. Brilliant idea and cheap. . PROS: CHEAP, they don't stick out at all, so your guitar still fits normally in the case, a year later they haven't stretched out or broken at all, CONS: You don't want to really do this if it's a strap you're going to remove all the time. Once on , you just leave it on

Good luck

Eric

I have loads of guitars with Schaller Straplocks on them, and a few with Dunlops.
Ahh... that reminds me - it was Dunlop Straploks that I used first, then the Schallers.

I'll edit the post now. Thanks for "reminding" me man.

The newer Schaller S-Locks stick out a bit more than the previous generation, but they have benefits of added threads to fit better over thick/leather straps, have a set screw that prevents movement, and the "ramp" of the lock mechanism is angled, making it much smoother to side onto the strap buttons. The strap buttons themselves are slotted for hex wrench & are a single piece combined with the wood screw. Overall significantly better if you don't mind the slightly increased length. I've upgraded most of my guitars except one that had Dunlops.

I had Dunlop years ago and just hated them like you said they stick out too far since then I've used nothing but Schaller, I've never had to tighten any of them.

I switch out my basses between fretted and fretless constantly. I use the same strap with the wireless body pack attached to it. I use Schallers. I tighten it down with proper tools, and I've never had a problem. I put Schallers on all my straps and instruments. I've always hated DiMarzios, I already broke the set of D'addario buttons I tried, and Warwick just ripped off Schaller (just like they did Spector).

If you don't need to remove the strap, a large washer and screw the damn strap on with the felt in between. Then the strap is right on the guitar. Otherwise, I vote Schaller.

Thanks guys. I ordered a couple sets of Schallers. Since they redesigned it with a locking thumb wheel, that probably handles my main complaint of that nut coming loose with the old design. Rubber washers won’t work since I’m trying to swap a wireless pack back and forth, that’s what I’m using now.

I always liked the Dunlop Dual Designs.

Those Lock-It straps with the built in locking mechanism work pretty well too, and they are cheap. You can use em on any guitar without doing any modifications

I always liked the Dunlop Dual Designs.

Those Lock-It straps with the built in locking mechanism work pretty well too, and they are cheap. You can use em on any guitar without doing any modifications
If they made them in 2.5" width, I'd be up for trying one. It looks like they are all 2" though.

I happen to like eye hooks and carabiners, but it's not as visually appealing as what's generally manufactured from Schaller, DiMarzio, Loxx, etc :dunno:.

One thing I loathe about strap lock systems (ones I've used anyway - have not used them all), is having to manipulate/cut/enlarge the hole diameter in the strap just to get the damn strap lock in there. Infuriates me.

Back