Def Leppard - Poor Vivian...

Didn't Mutt also produce Highway to Hell and Back in Black? Nothing wrong with those albums. I lost interest in Def Lep after Pyromania. That album was probably my first branching out album into harder rock other than VH.

I would’ve loved to have seen them then. I was only 5 in 1980. I’ve seen some footage of them live in 80/81, and they just tear it up. Full of piss and vinegar, pure rock and roll with excellent melody and hook combined with aggression. The Willis/Clark combo IS Def Leppard for me. Agreed that the band died creatively with Clark.
Saw them in 81, 83 and 87, they were smoking. Once Steve passed, who was a helluva performer, the guitar spot sadly became all about Phil. Vivian's talent far outshines Collen but as has been said, he's had a steady paycheck all these years to play sold out arenas and continuing living like a rock star.

Last edited:
Didn't Mutt also produce Highway to Hell and Back in Black? Nothing wrong with those albums. I lost interest in Def Lep after Pyromania. That album was probably my first branching out album into harder rock other than VH.
I lost interest after Hysteria.

Surely, there must be someone in Def Leppard's camp who has visited a few chat boards like RT and knows how ridiculous everyone finds Phil getting oiled up and going shirtless at the shows. Is there one person out there not creeped out by this? WTF does he still do it? Bon Scott, DLR and EVH could pull it off, but then they didn't get oiled up. Sheesh.

I think Hysteria is a great album and I think it would have sounded so different if it hadn't been for Rick Allen's accident. I think the simpler beats were obviously to help him out and resulted in some great songs.

Surely, there must be someone in Def Leppard's camp who has visited a few chat boards like RT and knows how ridiculous everyone finds Phil getting oiled up and going shirtless at the shows. Is there one person out there not creeped out by this? WTF does he still do it? Bon Scott, DLR and EVH could pull it off, but then they didn't get oiled up. Sheesh.
And they were all AT LEAST 30 yrs younger.

Phil is in great shape for any age, no doubt about it. I passed him on an escalator at NAMM a few years ago (he was wearing a real VH 1984 tour shirt, BTW). The man is in fantastic shape. But WTF? Is it just too hot for him to wear a shirt or kimono at their gigs?

If you are in your early 20ies you can go shirtless...after that no...
Oilled hell no...

Vivian played the first lead in the song...was very quick lead but it was him with les paul. I am sure he is happy when he opens his pay cheque anyway about it.
exactly...I mean it must suck playing in front of thousands of people each night playing massively popular songs while getting a huge check each night .. yeah I think i'd quit so I can be "legit and real" ... NOT

And don't forget people Holy Diver just this week went DOUBLE PLATINUM in the US ... so that is sold 2 million copies in 39 years ... so fuck all money to be made there for Viv

This video was very cringey. Joe looks like my friends Mom when I was a kid. The rest of the band look like they are insurance salesmen who just want to collect their commission and go home.

It's like they sat down and said "how many old rock tropes can we fit into one music video/song?".

This video was very cringey. Joe looks like my friends Mom when I was a kid. The rest of the band look like they are insurance salesmen who just want to collect their commission and go home.

It's like they sat down and said "how many old rock tropes can we fit into one music video/song?".
I will take alll these rock bands in their 60's and 70's over most of the shitty new music coming out these days.

I will take alll these rock bands in their 60's and 70's over most of the shitty new music coming out these days.
I don't agree with this take, sorry man. People who dogmatically praise the music they grew up with, but bash new music, engage in a specific type of congitive dissonence.

I've had this issue with older friends who can't seem to get out of their high school music bubble. So I took one of my favoruite modern bands (Horrisont), and played it through tape saturation and EQ plug and told them it was from the 70s. They loved it.

When I took off the effects and told them it was from 2018, the look in their eyes was priceless. They now had to act like they hated it because it was new.

Last edited:
I don't agree with this take, sorry man. People who dogmatically praise the music they grew up with, but bash new music, engage in a specific type of congitive dissonence.

I've had this issue with older friends who can't seem to get out of their high school music bubble. So I took one of my favoruite modern bands (Horrisont), and played it through tape saturation and EQ plug and told them it was from the 70s. They loved it.

When I took off the effects and told them it was from 2018, the look in their eyes was priceless. They now had to act like they hated it because it was new.
I hear what your saying but i am not talking about sticking with a certain genre of music from my younger days. I am talking music as a whole. Specifically meaning no auto tune, songs that have no guitar or guitar lead, computerized bs etc etc Not to mention writing. Alot less hooks and catchy tunes coming out nowadays. Not too many songs you can hum or whistle.

I hear what your saying but i am not talking about sticking with a certain genre of music from my younger days. I am talking music as a whole. Specifically meaning no auto tune, songs that have no guitar or guitar lead, computerized bs etc etc Not to mention writing. Alot less hooks and catchy tunes coming out nowadays. Not too many songs you can hum or whistle.

I absolutely agree with you on the fact music is now drenched in post-production, and live performances are locked to a click... Alot of modern AOR and Hard Rock is run through the same plugins and all aim for the same sound.

However, there are still bands out there absolutely doing what you've described, but hard rock and metal isn't mainstream anymore, so these bands don't get radio play. It involves a bit more digging, but you will seriously find some real great modern writing and production. The 70s rock revival a while back brough out amazing bands like Vintage Caravan etc with that old sound.

Seeing these new bands with flares and big Marshall stacks is really cool. (Not including Greta Van Fleet lol)

Lol he totally looks like a cougar now. There comes a time when you have to look in the mirror as an aging rocker and ask " do I look like someone's 60 year old aunt who lives in Florida?" If yes, maybe change your hair style and workout a few times a week.

Back