I apparently LOVE API EQ’s! Clipzzz

VESmedic

I am not really a fan of API preamps on guitars, never have been. But recently I bought a UAD satellite 2 to run UAD plugins on my Mac, as I believe their plugins for compression especially are above and beyond others out there. So before my satellite got here, I decided to try a free trial of UAD sparks native plugin subscription to get a taste. I’ve always liked API’s high end filters, but never really dove into them completely. I am generally not a fan of “color” eq’s, and gravitate toward extremely clean eq’s like GML, sontec, metrichalo channelstrip, and DMG equilibrium.

Well, I think the results speak for themselves. I did this clip with just the API vision channel strip, using the 550B EQ only. Compromising of just 4 bands, 2 of which are hi/low pass filters/shelves. The low end is punchy, the high end is bright and not harsh, just really enjoyed it.

The signal chain was REALLY complicated: guitar, amp, cabinet. :)

Jackson B7 (dimarzio deactivators)
Morin JMP 2203
KSR Eros boost
Engl 4x12: Chinese ( GASP!) V30 mic’d
Unidyne sm57
Converters

Enjoy!

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/ntVju75VQ7Hs2DQm9

It would be cool to do that kind of clip with some sections having the API plugin bypassed to hear what its doing.
Good point, because it can be subtle at times even though the color is there. I am using the lindell 50 which is as good as the UAD to my ears ( neither are quite at the hardware level but you'd never know) I like the 550b emulation on toms. 560 on kick.

API hardware eqs are a bit ridiculously priced though... Def paying that extra for the name.

It would be cool to do that kind of clip with some sections having the API plugin bypassed to hear what its doing.

Ah yes, that is for sure a good idea. I forget not everyone is a complete nerd like me haha! But what really strikes me about this is the transients, and how tight and clean the low end is. That’s the dead giveaway for me. I’ll post a non eq’d clip of this tomorrow when I get home!

As for the tone, a bit sharp in the highs this time if you ask me. Quite crunchy and spikey for my tastes personally.

Hey it’s all good, to each his own! This would be quite nice in a mix to me personally, and would have killer clarity I think.

Sounds good. What settings were you using?

The high and low bands on the 550 are switchable between peaking or shelving. The high and low pass filters are under the preamp section on the API Vision strip.

Hey it’s all good, to each his own! This would be quite nice in a mix to me personally, and would have killer clarity I think.

No doubt it would cut through in a mix..everyone hates RR's tone and it cuts like a knife and sounds amazing on those records. On it's own though... lots of debate. I do think what I am hearing could probably be tamed if you ran it through your IGS 500 rubber bands. Just engage it, don't even EQ it. I think the digital crisp just needs to come off the high end a tad. Or maybe I am cork sniffing, but when going to extremes, that's where the analog treatment shines. In the tight lows and tight highs.

Love me some classic In Flames. Their Clayman record pretty much changed my perspective entirely on what heavy bands should sound like.

The guitars in the clip cut like crazy.

weirdly I’m not huge on API preamps, but on guitars I always pick them in blind shootouts. Never been huge on their EQ’s either but boosting 10k on high gain guitars basically always works a treat.

Kind of want to get a channel or 2 in a lunchbox purely for guitars….

Love me some classic In Flames. Their Clayman record pretty much changed my perspective entirely on what heavy bands should sound like.

The guitars in the clip cut like crazy.
Yeah loved that album. Honestly, it feels like a sort of AFD for that genre. For the style it is up there with Seasons and Rust! Yeah it is that good!

Back