Tone you don't like but works for bands you love

I’ve seen a bunch of videos of great classic songs that they stripped down to just the guitar tracks. Some sounded terrible but they worked in the mix.

This is what's awesome about music.

There's tone out there I would never use but it just works so well for these bands...
Pantera being another obvious one.

Here's another big one for me:

Well, why should I even reply if you listed my two right out the gate?

Actually, with Type O Negative, their tone just doesn't work. I love the band, but hate the 90s processor guitar sound. That's why I want to start a tribute band that uses real amps and call it "Typo Negive".

Actually, with Type O Negative, their tone just doesn't work. I love the band, but hate the 90s processor guitar sound. That's why I want to start a tribute band that uses real amps and call it "Typo Negive".
Do you know what Type O even used to get that sound? Very removed from a 'normal' guitar sound isn't it

The entire Entombed/Sunlight sound. I was obsessed with this tone at one point, but ultimately my playing style didn’t suite it. Just mud city. But the bands that do that well sound crushing. It’s practically become an subgenre within metal all to itself.

Steve Howe with Yes. I always thought he was making it hard on himself playing 335s into Twin Reverbs tilted back at his head. But I friggin love the songs. Meanwhile Chris Squire had one of the best bass tones ever.

Rage Against the Machine. His tone sucks and the vocals suck but all together it comes out listenable for me .
Morello’s tone on RATM’s self titled is iconic, audiophile and perfect.

His hypocrisy in promoting communism with the band’s message being “anti-system” lost me forever, however.

Do you know what Type O even used to get that sound? Very removed from a 'normal' guitar sound isn't it
I love type o negative , their productions always intrigue me because it's a big wall of sound , most times it's hard to identify what's what but I kinda like that .... so different.... I miss them , r.i.p Pete!

Ps - I believe Peter and Kenny both used Fernandes sustained pickups for certain things and parts, not sure what they used for amps and cabs. I did hear a rumor that all the drums were programmed except dead again but I'm not 100% on that.

Last edited:
A lot of metal bands from the late 90s and early 2000s come to mind. Mudvayne guitar tone in particular isn’t my thing and sounds like shit a lot of the time but seems to sit perfectly to let everything else shine.

Morello’s tone on RATM’s self titled is iconic, audiophile and perfect.

His hypocrisy in promoting communism with the band’s message being “anti-system” lost me forever, however.
I think it’s the tele . Something about it is off for me . But I get it . It’s a classic.

Back