NAD: Marshall 4104

LPMojoGL

I've been seeing this amp on CL for a month. Decided to go check it out after seeing the insane prices these are going for at the guitar show.
Good condition, all stock. Got it off the 2nd owner, who got it from his dad.
How's she sound? Like a good 2204 with 6550s!
I was told Dime used to play thru it, as it was the jam room amp back in the day. Who knows.
Clips to come.

Attachments

• IMG_20220501_190615986.jpg
    IMG_20220501_190615986.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20220501_183157696.jpg
    IMG_20220501_183157696.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_20220501_185504822.jpg
    IMG_20220501_185504822.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20220501_182908991.jpg
    IMG_20220501_182908991.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20220501_182954775.jpg
    IMG_20220501_182954775.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Congrats, looks like you snagged a great amp. I am sure the clips will prove it. :)
Thanks!
It sounds great. I'll admit, I prefer it thru the Bogner Helios 2x12 compared to the stock combo with the Celestion 70s.
But yeah, at 1 on the volume in my garage, the neighbors came to see what's up.

Thanks!
It sounds great. I'll admit, I prefer it thru the Bogner Helios 2x12 compared to the stock combo with the Celestion 70s.
But yeah, at 1 on the volume in my garage, the neighbors came to see what's up.
Those Modern Lead 70s are one of my least favorite Celestions, so not too surprised. Might be worth looking into swapping them.

Those Modern Lead 70s are one of my least favorite Celestions, so not too surprised. Might be worth looking into swapping them.
Agreed. They're not good. I'm already thinking about a V30 mixed with something else.
Woke up at 4am to a storm this morning, couldn't get back to sleep. So I played!
This amp has a great sound, plugged straight in. Plenty of gain, no flub, cleans up nice. Impressed! It's a good one.
I know these combos have a cap, c13?, Over the mid pot to compensate for the open back cab. I was thinking I'd need to clip it, but nope. She's perfect the way she is.

Agreed. They're not good. I'm already thinking about a V30 mixed with something else.
Woke up at 4am to a storm this morning, couldn't get back to sleep. So I played!
This amp has a great sound, plugged straight in. Plenty of gain, no flub, cleans up nice. Impressed! It's a good one.
I know these combos have a cap, c13?, Over the mid pot to compensate for the open back cab. I was thinking I'd need to clip it, but nope. She's perfect the way she is.
Congrats!
They are killer. I remember the 4010 having a slightly different eq circuit but I didn’t know it also went into all combos..that would make sense though.
Those Modern Lead 70s; are they the same as the earlier G12M70? The most hated Celestion. I have a pair in an old home brew 212 I bought for my son.
The Naylor actually made those sound like early ZZ Top tone.

Looks nice man! Those speakers work ok for some people, others find them kind of bland. I’m on the “find them bland” side, but they’re not bad.

Out of curiosity, do you get a lot of hum/buzz on your high input channel? My 2204 had lots from that green input wire picking it up from that black heater wire that circles around the v1 socket.

Congrats!
They are killer. I remember the 4010 having a slightly different eq circuit but I didn’t know it also went into all combos..that would make sense though.
Those Modern Lead 70s; are they the same as the earlier G12M70? The most hated Celestion. I have a pair in an old home brew 212 I bought for my son.
The Naylor actually made those sound like early ZZ Top tone.

Thanks! I'm not certain of all the differences in the combo circuits vs heads. I was under the impression that it would be worse, but right now I'm thinking this may be the best sounding 2204 I've had. The Anniv model sounds a bit bigger and unruly. This one is a tad tighter with more mids. Love it
I believe they're the same speakers. They sound pretty middy and flat with them compared to the V30/CB65. Now I'm gonna have to try some ol ZZ thru them!

Looks nice man! Those speakers work ok for some people, others find them kind of bland. I’m on the “find them bland” side, but they’re not bad.

Out of curiosity, do you get a lot of hum/buzz on your high input channel? My 2204 had lots from that green input wire picking it up from that black heater wire that circles around the v1 socket.

Im not a fan of the speakers, at least in this open back combo. Meh

Zero noise. With nothing plugged in, gain maxed and master cranked you barely start to hear anything. Silent with guitar plugged in and guitar volume off.

Zero noise. With nothing plugged in, gain maxed and master cranked you barely start to hear anything. Silent with guitar plugged in and guitar volume off.
Nice! This one also is an unmodded horizontal input although someone did a repair and marked on it in 1998. The lead dress in yours does look better than mine but still I’m not sure why mine was so noisy and yours would be so quiet. Good for you though!

I initially thought I would want to mod it a little bit but now I kinda don’t want to.

Nice! This one also is an unmodded horizontal input although someone did a repair and marked on it in 1998. The lead dress in yours does look better than mine but still I’m not sure why mine was so noisy and yours would be so quiet. Good for you though!

I initially thought I would want to mod it a little bit but now I kinda don’t want to.

Who knows with these old amps. I've seen all kinds of things in them, and they all seem to sound a bit different.
First thing I did when I got this home was clean the pots and jacks, and vacuum in the cab. Like you, I was thinking about what mods...Metro loop is essential. Maybe a Hot Mod for Gain.
But after just a little time with it, no way!
I know it's honeymoon talk, but it may be my fav 2204 out of all I've had.

Congrats on a great amp. I have '83 with NOS Tungsol 6550's with Tungsgram 12AX7's. Running the preamp 7-8 with pedals gave the classic old school Marshall tone.

Congrats on a great amp. I have '83 with NOS Tungsol 6550's with Tungsgram 12AX7's. Running the preamp 7-8 with pedals gave the classic old school Marshall tone.

Nice! And thanks.
I need to find some Tungsol 6550s. They seem like the ones to have.
I hit the amp with a Timmy this morning, I the perfect Zakk tone for Crazy Babies. NRFTW has some.of my fav Marshall tone from back then.
Can't wait to get home from work and play it some more. Maybe a Big Muff into the low input.

Ironically I use the same glass in my '83 as well with same settings. I did dump the 70's years back and ran with WGS ET 65's which sounded great. I lucked out and found some '83 Celestion '65's a few years ago and with the NOS bottles mentioned above the amp is the tits. Heavy AF though.

Ironically I use the same glass in my '83 as well with same settings. I did dump the 70's years back and ran with WGS ET 65's which sounded great. I lucked out and found some '83 Celestion '65's a few years ago and with the NOS bottles mentioned above the amp is the tits. Heavy AF though.
How doe the WGS compare to the Celestions?
I'm thinking a pair of greenbacks, or V30/gb mix might do the trick.

Back