Super Distortion lite?

Is there a pickup voiced like a DiMarzio SD but a little lower output to better balance with singles?

Contact Pariah and ask them to wind you their Destruction 70s model with a little lower output. It's their SD model. They are really easy to work with.

I tried my first Pariah pickup in the recent stripe build I posted here about a week ago. Pasadena White. Probably my favorite pickup ever. Sounds, plays and feels way hotter than the numbers would suggest with spectacular clarity. Pariah is the real deal.

DiMarzio has the Transition listed as a hot pickup. Is it not as hot as listed?

I have it and swapped for other DiMarzios. I think it have a good output, more of the Norton, but is not modern and compressed like a TZ, or the SS or a Crunch Lab. The Transition, to me, is more a old school hot humbucker, more versatile then modern pickups.

Great -- now we have a pickup that's in transition. What are its pronouns?
The appropriate pronoun for a transitioning pickup would be "it" since it is an object. The derogatory term used to insult "it" would be "high output lipstick"(imo the most confused of all pickups). I would also note that a low output Rail-hammer pickup would be the 2nd most confused pickup design. Rails AND pole pieces? And a wimpy output? It's the end of civilization as we know it!

I might be the minority but was not a huge fan of the pariah pickup I tried. It's been sitting in my workshop for a year since I took it out. But they are reasonably priced and well built. Good service.

The appropriate pronoun for a transitioning pickup would be "it" since it is an object. The derogatory term used to insult "it" would be "high output lipstick"(imo the most confused of all pickups). I would also note that a low output Rail-hammer pickup would be the 2nd most confused pickup design. Rails AND pole pieces? And a wimpy output? It's the end of civilization as we know it!

Actually I think you are guilty of assuming that the pickup's orientation is towards " it". What if it feels like it is magnet and polarity "fluid" and prefers to be referred to as " they" or "them". Because one day it might feel like a humbucker, and another day a single or a P90. Respect the pickup. We need to let it find it's own voicing. ... day to day.

FWIW the magnet in the Super Distortion is glued in and it can be pretty tricky and frustrating swapping it out but others have done it
After doing some research on the swap, I came across this problem. On top of that, most people who have done it seem to not like the results as much as the original configuration.

Back