Yngwie

His drummer looks like he is 11 years old!:giggle:

One of my all time favorite guitar players. I have seen him countless times, somewhere in the 20-something range. I have lost interest in his recorded output, every since he adopted this "one man band" approach. I feel his last decent albums were Attack and Unleash The Fury. The 2 albums w/ Ripper Owens were ok as well.

Guthrie is a great player, but Yngwie is legendary

2972df79a49f455a5567362b621ef914.jpg

J3l8Cu52_400x400.jpeg

Saw him a few months ago. He was absolutely amazing. It was jaw dropping. I’m sure there were bad notes but I didn’t hear one.

He's a legend no question. We love his playing and his tone from 81-90 no doubt but stuff starts to derail and really has gotten bad since after the Blitzkrieg album I'd say. ( Which is already 20 years old itself). The issue is that as an artist there is no integrity. He has how many songs to play thousands of notes? Why doesn't he let the material breathe like the originals, switch up some phrasing and hold notes more. He is a tremendous blues player. Instead, you just get tens of thousands of notes and zero timing. Flips and kicks and whatever the fuck he feels like doing at any given time. The whole thing is a mess. Sad to go out that way. When you watch old Yngwie or Alcatrazz, it almost looks like he is playing SLOW compared to now. Everything was timed and you could hear it vs. hearing a pinball machine. Almost like listening to Batio play Yngwie but with horrible timing.

He's a legend no question. We love his playing and his tone from 81-90 no doubt but stuff starts to derail and really has gotten bad since after the Blitzkrieg album I'd say. ( Which is already 20 years old itself). The issue is that as an artist there is no integrity. He has how many songs to play thousands of notes? Why doesn't he let the material breathe like the originals, switch up some phrasing and hold notes more. He is a tremendous blues player. Instead, you just get tens of thousands of notes and zero timing. Flips and kicks and whatever the fuck he feels like doing at any given time. The whole thing is a mess. Sad to go out that way. When you watch old Yngwie or Alcatrazz, it almost looks like he is playing SLOW compared to now. Everything was timed and you could hear it vs. hearing a pinball machine. Almost like listening to Batio play Yngwie but with horrible timing.
He has seemed to fall into the great musician category that has not progressed into anything new or interesting. I remenber about 10 years ago when Joe Satriani said he really just discovered the blues. Really? Just now? Great guitars players, like Jeff Beck, that can play anything and everything and incorporate it into something new, are the ones that will always keep my interest.

Beast!!! Changed guitar forever after EVH.
Saw him few yrs ago. Played great, mix sounded like ASS!

Lives here in Miami. Hear he's a HUGE dick in person, but haven't run into him yet. Wears those cloths all day, all the time I hear!

I absolutely wore out, and still do, Rising Force, Marching Out, Trilogy, Odyssey, Eclipse and Seventh Sign...but I can't listen to the guy live anymore because it sounds almost like a parody. Saw him open for Dio in 86' and he just destroyed the place - so much so that Campbell just did a short solo sitting down on the drum riser, he was like, fuck - why bother?
At least in the first video the whole rest of the band wasn't crammed to one corner of the stage.

Lives here in Miami. Hear he's a HUGE dick in person, but haven't run into him yet. Wears those cloths all day, all the time I hear!
South Florida heat and leather pants? Uh oh......

:ROFLMAO:
man for those of us who saw him in his early years live, enjoy the memories comrades.

seeing him when he first joined alcatrazz, and then early on his first rising force tour, then marching out and trilogy. those were the peak years imo.
hard to explain how radical he was when he burst onto the scene but he was truly mind blowing.

i met him on the marching out tour in a small rock club in hawaii after his gig opening for dio at the blaisdell center.

i saw him walk in with his girlfriend and i believe i squealed like a schoolgirl and soiled myself.

me and my best friend sat with him for about an hour at a table making small talk. i was totally star stuck because as a totally rabid fan of 80s electric rock shred guitar at that time, he was IT. and he was super cool to us at that time. signed an autograph and left but had to come back because he forgot his sunglasses which yes he wore at night!

I absolutely wore out, and still do, Rising Force, Marching Out, Trilogy, Odyssey, Eclipse and Seventh Sign...but I can't listen to the guy live anymore because it sounds almost like a parody. Saw him open for Dio in 86' and he just destroyed the place - so much so that Campbell just did a short solo sitting down on the drum riser, he was like, fuck - why bother?
At least in the first video the whole rest of the band wasn't crammed to one corner of the stage.

Campbell is a fantastic guitarist and I like his phrasing in the context of the songs he wrote but to just wail in a solo? .. Not that exciting. Yngwie would have made him look like an amateur in that time so that was definitely a seasoned veteran move on his part.

:ROFLMAO:
man for those of us who saw him in his early years live, enjoy the memories comrades.

seeing him when he first joined alcatrazz, and then early on his first rising force tour, then marching out and trilogy. those were the peak years imo.
hard to explain how radical he was when he burst onto the scene but he was truly mind blowing.

i met him on the marching out tour in a small rock club in hawaii after his gig opening for dio at the blaisdell center.

i saw him walk in with his girlfriend and i believe i squealed like a schoolgirl and soiled myself.

me and my best friend sat with him for about an hour at a table making small talk. i was totally star stuck because as a totally rabid fan of 80s electric rock shred guitar at that time, he was IT. and he was super cool to us at that time. signed an autograph and left but had to come back because he forgot his sunglasses which yes he wore at night!

Great story.. even though he is a bit of a joke now you have to hand it to the guy, he lives and breathes the image and he gives it 100%. When that guy walks into a room, even if you had no clue who he is, you would probably assume he is a washed up rock star who used to be someone. Especially if he pulls up in that old ass Ferrari. I can't help it, I love the guy. Can't listen to his new stuff or him play live anymore but I love the idea of him and the history. I'd hope he's a total dick too and full of himself. I love it when he says he had no influences other than Paganini and Bach. He says it with a straight face because he believes it. Like he was somehow an understudy to these guys but also a contemporary and on their level lol. Leather pants and pirate shirts. He will be buried in it. No doubt in some huge ass baroque casket sort of deal with gold leafing. Then placed in a massive grave site with angels and other shit carved into it. He's a legend.

First time I saw Yngwie was in the band Steeler. 1984, I think, at the Pomona Valley auditorium. He destroyed the place. My jaw was on the floor. Sent me to the woodshed with tail tucked between my legs.... lol...

Let's just take a minute to appreciate him back when he actually cared about the quality of his band and actually played WITH them. He's ripping here. Love the ferociousness and tempo. He was bringing it in the 80's. I think this is post accident so he might have been better before but still sounds extremely clean here compared to anything in the last 20 years.

Like many of the 80's generation here, George Lynch made me want to pick up a guitar, but Yngwie made me want to play. I worshipped Yngwie. I had the Live in 85 VHS tape and I would watch that everyday after school and then go practice for hours trying to play like him. My first concert was Yngwie on the Odyssey tour and I have seen him more than any other guitar player; Lynch and Schenker close second and third.

Having said that, he suffers from the same disease that Zakk Wylde does. The constant need to get better/faster. Petrucci went through it too on Train. If Yngwie would slow down and let the solos breath, he would be fire. It still makes my heart flutter when I listen to those old Live Alcatrazz recordings, he just had absolute command; even when improvising there was a melody in there.

I love the guy and saw him a few years ago and I will always support him, but I really wish he would hire a singer again and have a group and keyboard player that can duel him like Jens used to, rather than a bunch of guys in a corner.

I love in that M3 video, he was bitching at his tech the entire show. Complaining about the white lights up top, gesturing to cut them, even his bassist did it, saying it was in the f'ing rider. Worst job in the world would to be his tech.

Back