Wizard MTL darker than other Wizards?

saxxamafone

I have an MTL Mk2 and while it's a great amp, it is actually rather dark and a little 'vintage-y'.

Especially compared to my original Uber.

No top end fizz at all and a very round fat tone that sits back a bit and isn't super up front and focused.

May be something in where the mids sit that creates this.

Most guys mention how bright Wizards are so wondering are the Modern Classics brighter amps due to where the mids sit?

I'll try to post some clips later to show what i'm talking about

Yeah... The MC2 wizard are voiced high aggressively on da mids... The preamp tubes used and came stock are JJs ecc803 I believe.. and it smoothens the ear piercing tone with the lead bright kept at low settings... Perhaps speakers and pickups also plays an important part to voice out the high spike mids... I use JB bridge pups ... I supposed my Aldrich pup be a nice fit on wizards..

Way darker imo my old mc25 was the only amp I’ve owned I ran the treble and both brights super low , the mtl I ran more like other amps scooped mids but a lot of high end with the treble and presence .

Mesa 4x12 w/ V30s

I get the brightness with my other amps, no problems.

I'll keep playing around to get it more 'present' and up front.
It’s definitely darker than the other wizards like you said but it can get bright . With my Uberkab it definitely does . Since you have a Bogner I wondered if you have Uberkab

It’s definitely darker than the other wizards like you said but it can get bright . With my Uberkab it definitely does . Since you have a Bogner I wondered if you have Uberkab

I do have a cab that's basically same spec as the Uberkab... I'll try that as I imagine the highs from the 75's would blend nicely with the v30s for the MTL

Treble, presence and bright should be at 3:00+ mids noon or less and same for basss and depth. Mid sweep at 1:00 if a mk3
Thanks mate - good to know i'm not crazy thinking the presence and treble need to really be cranked up.

Much higher than a vintage Marshall.

You run the bright knob on the back at 3:00+?!... wow, mine sounds like a transistor radio when that high for some reason.

Thanks mate - good to know i'm not crazy thinking the presence and treble need to really be cranked up.

Much higher than a vintage Marshall.

You run the bright knob on the back at 3:00+?!... wow, mine sounds like a transistor radio when that high for some reason.
I crank the bright knob up too .

I've tried and it sounds more AM/transistor the more it goes up.

I have mine around 4-5 at the moment.

Love the MTL also, if i can get a tad more highs/clarity i'll be even more happy :)
That’s interesting about the AM sound. Is your shift pulled in or out ?

Back