Selling on Reverb

That would be fantastic, but I imagine it would take a lot of work to make it happen.
It would just take a little development time. But, I am genuinely curious how many people would jump to such a service over Reverb, and if Reverb would just respond by lowering their fees bringing a swift death to the project.

I said it before, if I can't find it on craigslist or here I don't need it...fuck the rest of em.
The problem with that logic is: the best Colombian bam bam comes only from Columbia.

Or if your me you live in the sticks and have to drive 4 hours to even see a gibson. That being said I rarely buy anything anymore due to the hassle and almost never sell.

It would just take a little development time. But, I am genuinely curious how many people would jump to such a service over Reverb, and if Reverb would just respond by lowering their fees bringing a swift death to the project.
I don't think Reverb can afford to lower their fees based on how much they've grown as a company. I'd love an alternative and I think a lot of other people would too. You could make a thread over on TGP to gauge interest with a bigger audience.

The problem with that logic is: the best Colombian bam bam comes only from Columbia.

Or if your me you live in the sticks and have to drive 4 hours to even see a gibson. That being said I rarely buy anything anymore due to the hassle and almost never sell.
Wrong...I send money through PayPal 100% guarantee anywhere in the US without care and my collection shows it...zero listing fees and the deals are still out there!

That is not what he is talking about, here is the situation:

Buyer buys bought item.

Within 7 days they report an issue to Reverb, they do not want a partial refund, they want a return/refund. Reverb grants the return, or the seller does.

Now, according to the claim by the OP, the buyer can hang onto the item for as long as they'd like, play the hell out of it, and return it when they get around to it. At that point you as the seller would be responsible for refunding them.
Yeah , I don't think so lol. That's NOT HAPPENING !!!!!

If you don't want it ship it back like yesterday and don't even think about touching it again let alone continuing to play it . They will return it when they get around to it my ass .

Someone else here (stratjacket maybe?) actually did this a while back but ultimately ran in to some issues I think :(

Wrong...I send money through PayPal 100% guarantee anywhere in the US without care and my collection shows it...zero listing fees and the deals are still out there!
I've never bought shipped items through facebook. My wife does but I guess I'm just getting older and tired of packing guitars or dealing with shitty shippers.

Last guitar I bought (87 lp custom lite) some scumbag at ups tried to put in his car and steal. Luckily I know people that work there and they stopped it.

Yeah , I don't think so lol. That's NOT HAPPENING !!!!!

If you don't want it ship it back like yesterday and don't even think about touching it again let alone continuing to play it . They will return it when they get around to it my ass .
Right, well just to clarify, I was explaining his claim, not making it; I have never heard of this or had this experience.

And to the 2nd half of your post, I am confused as to whether you are just posting your personal wishes, or what, because unfortunately, you and I will follow the rules of wherever we choose to buy and sell gear, as well as the rules of the payment processor, which you agreed to upon the usage of their services. Last I checked, independent PayPal sales (like this forum), still have a 90 day window for the buyer to cry foul and yank the rug out from under you. It's bullshit, but it happens. And if it happened you, you would take the guitar back. Otherwise, you might want to think about drawing back to good old USPS money orders as your accepted method of payment (still my favorite).

Edit: I was wrong. It's not 90 days. It's 180.

Lets also not forget the Paypal 180 day policy with returns. If you accept Paypal for payment, even if Reverb return window expires you still have to deal with Paypals policy. Just ridiculous!

Last edited:
It is a fact,Buyer has no limit to ship back and right now buyer responded after 10 days with tracking number but he is not give me a pickup date, can be 1 week or 1 year from now(just created label with tracking),is a typical scammer. I am pressing on Reverb's staff that they write return policy to 3 working days time limit to ship back or refund request from buyer will be canceled.
Just because you can't find the written language you are (rightfully and good for you, though I don't think 3 days is needed) requesting that reverb post publicly, does not mean it is not already internal practice. I do not know what those are exactly (no one but Admins like Loc do), and they've obviously chosen to keep this as a very flexible policy, but the idea that a buyer could wait wait a year to ship it back with no penalty is just nonsense. Has it ever happened? Reverb support would require them to return the item in a timely manner or forfeit the option to return; I have had this situation pop up (rarely, as it benefits no one...?), and support admins do not allow the buyer to wait a year. Just because it isn't written down; or you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not the case.

I don't think Reverb can afford to lower their fees based on how much they've grown as a company. I'd love an alternative and I think a lot of other people would too. You could make a thread over on TGP to gauge interest with a bigger audience.
I'd probably get banned for offending someone. I wont waste my time there. lol

Right, well just to clarify, I was explaining his claim, not making it; I have never heard of this or had this experience.

And to the 2nd half of your post, I am confused as to whether you are just posting your personal wishes, or what, because unfortunately, you and I will follow the rules of wherever we choose to buy and sell gear, as well as the rules of the payment processor, which you agreed to upon the usage of their services. Last I checked, independent PayPal sales (like this forum), still have a 90 day window for the buyer to cry foul and yank the rug out from under you. It's bullshit, but it happens. And if it happened you, you would take the guitar back. Otherwise, you might want to think about drawing back to good old USPS money orders as your accepted method of payment (still my favorite).

Edit: I was wrong. It's not 90 days. It's 180.

I won't even bother with any service whether it be Reverb or Ebay if they allow a potential buyer to hang on to an instrument that long and be able to return it months later . No way

Just because you can't find the written language you are (rightfully and good for you, though I don't think 3 days is needed) requesting that reverb post publicly, does not mean it is not already internal practice. I do not know what those are exactly (no one but Admins like Loc do), and they've obviously chosen to keep this as a very flexible policy, but the idea that a buyer could wait wait a year to ship it back with no penalty is just nonsense. Has it ever happened? Reverb support would require them to return the item in a timely manner or forfeit the option to return; I have had this situation pop up (rarely, as it benefits no one...?), and support admins do not allow the buyer to wait a year. Just because it isn't written down; or you can't see it, doesn't mean it's not the case.
And there i see other problem, let's say you sell amp and postage is 500$ form Europe to USA and buyer after 7 days claims that amp is not working properly and real reason is just because he don't like the sound, that means you must pay return shipping 500$ and you are short 1000$.

And there i see other problem, let's say you sell amp and postage is 500$ form Europe to USA and buyer after 7 days claims that amp is not working properly and real reason is just because he don't like the sound, that means you must pay return shipping 500$ and you are short 1000$.
Again, senior reverb support staff are not morons and are on the lookout for stuff like this. They would make it very clear to the buyer that when you received the return, if it was not malfunctioning in the way they specified, and if you can get an amp tech to testify (not legally of course, but they do communicate with local techs in larger doller item issues) that the item was obviously damaged in an attempt to make it not work (this would be pretty extreme, I've never had anyone try anything like that), then they would be on the hook for return shipping. The "oh no, the item is broken" when the truth is "I changed my mind" trick is not new to reverb. They can't catch them all, but I believe they do try. If they suspect wrongdoing on the buyers side, they will actually investigate to the extent they can. Dealing with them is not like eBay or PayPal. With reverb you are assigned a support rep who will actually answer questions, act as a go-between, and though no company falls on the side of this that most people who sell would prefer, they do protect the seller to the extent possible.

For the record, pretty much all your issues could be solved by not shipping internationally, then you can cover it with their Safe Shipping. So just don't ship intl. It comes with many more possibly issues that you've identified here, and if you are not high volume, it's probably not worth it.

Maybe they treat me differently because of my volume, but my experience has been consistent since I gradually started switching from eBay to reverb last year.

Edit: selling will never be a zero-risk proposition. There are certain things you can do to protect yourself as a seller. Document everything, a video if you're packing an item comes in handy when the seller claims it came in a different box and was damaged or was packed poorly.

Never ever sell international. You lose almost all protection that you have. Never ship any musical instrument without Reverbs Safe Shipping. I know I sound like a shill, I know I do, but I had multiple claims paid out, generously and without hassle as a buyer and as a seller last year. I could not believe some of the deals some of my buyers got (full refund and keep the item), and I am pleasently surprised with they offered to pay me for claims, I never felt it was fair to ask for more than they offered.

Last edited:
I won't even bother with any service whether it be Reverb or Ebay if they allow a potential buyer to hang on to an instrument that long and be able to return it months later . No way
Do you have any evidence whatsoever that reverb allows this with any significant regularity, or are you just specul-ranting without knowledge? Also; if you have ever sold a guitar here or elsewhere using PayPal/cashapp/Venmo/not a money order, then you have definitely bothered with such a service. If you don't sell through the mail at all, good, that's smart, and it's al least intellectually consistent. But anyone who sells here thinking it gets them out of the situations being wildly hypothsized here is badly misinformed.

I don't even think that's as big of a deal with eBay since they no longer use PayPal as their payment processor. But I don't know, because fuck them, and fuck PayPal.

Do you have any evidence whatsoever that reverb allows this with any significant regularity, or are you just specul-ranting without knowledge? Also; if you have ever sold a guitar here or elsewhere using PayPal/cashapp/Venmo/not a money order, then you have definitely bothered with such a service. If you don't sell through the mail at all, good, that's smart, and it's al least intellectually consistent. But anyone who sells here thinking it gets them out of the situations being wildly hypothsized here is badly misinformed.

I don't even think that's as big of a deal with eBay since they no longer use PayPal as their payment processor. But I don't know, because fuck them, and fuck PayPal.
My comments are based on you quoting the OP that's it . I have never sold any musical equipment in my lifetime ever, and based on the comments I don't intend to .

Now, according to the claim by the OP, the buyer can hang onto the item for as long as they'd like, play the hell out of it, and return it when they get around to it. At that point you as the seller would be responsible for refunding them.

My comments are based on you quoting the OP that's it . I have never sold any musical equipment in my lifetime ever, and based on the comments I don't intend to .
the fuck...?

I will state for the 2nd time; just to clarify, I was explaining his claim, not making it; I have never heard of this or had this experience. If you wanted to vicariously commiserate with someone...the OP is your best shot. Also...if I didn't do any fishing last year, and you caught and released 30k fish...I might pay some very close attention to what you have to say about fishing. Because I am wholly ignorant.

In this thread there is one person (OP) screeching about an issue, of which there remains zero proof regarding it's existence, and whos posts make me question how much gear he has bought/sold....and there is one person (you) who seems really upset about this hypothetical unfair situation (enough to repeatedly post...basically the same thing), but who not only has no dog in this fight, but has never even fought a dog...then there are the rest of us, all confused as to whether this thing even exists, wondering why this thread exists, and either reading or trying to clear up whatever confusion there is...do I have that about right guys...? :D

Welp. See you guys later, I am off to find a crocheting thread on a knitting forum and get really upset about something posted there...this will definitely be my last post in this thread.

...I mean....just, - never mind.

I may take a break from the whole damn internet for the evening.

Worst thread ever, 1/10.

the fuck...?

I will state for the 2nd time; just to clarify, I was explaining his claim, not making it; I have never heard of this or had this experience. If you wanted to vicariously commiserate with someone...the OP is your best shot. Also...if I didn't do any fishing last year, and you caught and released 30k fish...I might pay some very close attention to what you have to say about fishing. Because I am wholly ignorant.

In this thread there is one person (OP) screeching about an issue, of which there remains zero proof regarding it's existence, and whos posts make me question how much gear he has bought/sold....and there is one person (you) who seems really upset about this hypothetical unfair situation (enough to repeatedly post...basically the same thing), but who not only has no dog in this fight, but has never even fought a dog...then there are the rest of us, all confused as to whether this thing even exists, wondering why this thread exists, and either reading or trying to clear up whatever confusion there is...do I have that about right guys...? :D

Welp. See you guys later, I am off to find a crocheting thread on a knitting forum and get really upset about something posted there...this will definitely be my last post in this thread.

...I mean....just, - never mind.

I may take a break from the whole damn internet for the evening.

Worst thread ever, 1/10.

You take things WAY WAY WAY TOO SERIOUSLY . I'm not upset in the least, this thread is hilarious to me . This thread is comedy gold laugh a little for God's sake . I think you need to stay away from forums completely based on your below comment .

I am off to find a crocheting thread on a knitting forum and get really upset about something posted there.

You take things WAY WAY WAY TOO SERIOUSLY . I'm not upset in the least, this thread is hilarious to me . This thread is comedy gold laugh a little for God's sake . I think you need to stay away from forums completely based on your below comment .
Tone (not that tone!) through text is always tough, but if you can't pick up on the tongue-in-cheek nature of the quoted post on your own, I doubt it would do much good for me to try and parse it out for you. Of course this thread is fucking hilarious, I don't expect you to find anything I say funny...but it's not a high bar to decipher that my post was making fun of the complete absurdity that this thread is; what else is there but to laugh? I will remember my emojis and /s tags text time. ;)

And so your posts in this thread were...jokes?

Back