NAD: Fryette Sig-X

moondread

It’s been 22 years since I had a proper Fryette/VHT amp (had a PB Classic, more recently have/had GP/DI, PS-100, PS-2). I’ve also chased this amp on and off for four years.

It is utterly amazing. Has that dry Fryette sound I love but just a little more forgiving. The versatility is off the charts. All three channels can do great clean and then the gain channels have such a wide range of sounds it’s amazing.

Honeymoon phase, I know, but it was worth the long wait. It’s everything I wished my Mark V would be...

DB28D743-745D-4D55-842B-6204A8AA6076.jpeg

Nice man, you got the cab too? Sweet!

When you start diving into it, check out some of the posts Steven has made over on the Fryette forum about different settings. There's so much stuff that amp can do you'd never expect, like one post had a way to turn the Rhythm channel into a Blackface Fender type of circuit. I ran mine so the Rhythm was actually the Fender clean, the Clean channel was cranked as the dirt (it's basically a non-master volume Hiwatt) and the Lead channel could be the gain.

Nice score! Congrats on a very fun amp to play.

Awesome stuff! Curious how that sounds next to a Deliverance 60 mk I.
Funny you say that because the gain structure and high gain sound overall can sound pretty much exact as the Deliverance series. It can get in the CL/CLX territory as well. I got one the first year they came out and sold it because it couldn't coax Ultra Lead tones. I had way too high and unrealistic expectations of that amp. It has some of the best cleans on a high gain amp I've ever heard.

It’s been 22 years since I had a proper Fryette/VHT amp (had a PB Classic, more recently have/had GP/DI, PS-100, PS-2). I’ve also chased this amp on and off for four years.

It is utterly amazing. Has that dry Fryette sound I love but just a little more forgiving. The versatility is off the charts. All three channels can do great clean and then the gain channels have such a wide range of sounds it’s amazing.

Honeymoon phase, I know, but it was worth the long wait. It’s everything I wished my Mark V would be...

View attachment 124879

I just picked up recently myself. I was on the hunt for a Deliverance but a Sig X came up for sale locally for a good deal. I figured I’d give it shot. It totally satisfies what i was looking for out of the Deliverance. Excellent amp with tons of flexibility and outstanding tones. Congrats !

I just picked up recently myself. I was on the hunt for a Deliverance but a Sig X came up for sale locally for a good deal. I figured I’d give it shot. It totally satisfies what i was looking for out of the Deliverance. Excellent amp with tons of flexibility and outstanding tones. Congrats !
So you’re the guy that bought that one off of CL in Phoenix?? I tried to get the seller to ship to me but he said someone was coming to look at it the next day and I never heard back. Luckily, I found this one.

Congrats and enjoy it!

Sig:X might be my favorite of the entire Fryette lineup, past and present. Right there with the CLX. Such an incredibly versatile amp without feeling like there are any compromises. I remember when I bought my Sig:X, the other amp in heavy consideration was a Bogner Ecstasy 101B.

To me the Sig:X did what I wanted the Bogner to do. Tighter, more articulate, and capable of a wider variety of tones while still being harmonically rich and "singing" when I want it to.

Here is some settings posted by Steve and Support for the Sig X years ago...

"Switches and knobs, left to right. All knob settings referred to clock face.

Rhythm track:

Rhythm Channel

Live

Gain I - 1:00

Gain II - 1:00

Boost On

More Mode

100W

Master - 10:00

Scoop

Treb - 1:30

Mid - 11:30

Bass - 2:00

Pres - 3:30

Depth - 2:30

Lead track:

Rhythm Channel

Burn

Gain I - 1:00

Gain II - 1:30 ~ 2:00

Boost On

More Mode

40W

Master - 10:30

Wood

Treb - 1:30

Mid - 11:30

I don't use the tone controls much. Just a bit for shading. Most of my voicing is shaped by the voicing switches, Gain I/Gain II ratio and Presence/Depth settings. Distortion/Overdrive blend is determined by the Master setting, thus, a little hotter Master against the 40W mode for the solo track gives a fatter overdrive and sustain while retaining the basic tonality. In this example I simply treat the Sig as if it were 2 amps - the D120 and D60

Lead Channel -Thick

Brown

Gain I - 2:00

Gain II - 10:00

Boost On

More Mode

40W

Wood

Treb - 2:00

Mid - 2:00

Lead Channel - Aggressive

Blow

Gain I - 2:00

Gain II - 10:00 ~ 2:00

Boost On

More Mode

40W ~ 100W

Scoop

Treb - 2:00

Mid - 2:00

Clean:

Bloom

Boost

100W

Open

Volume - 10:00

Treb - 12:30

Mid - 9:30

Bass - 1:00

Pres - 10:00

Depth - 9:00

There are all kinds of things this amp does that you would never even think to try. Here's a cool clean sound like a BF deluxe:

Rhythm Channel

Vintage

Gain I - 12:00

Gain II - N/A

Boost Off

Less Mode

40W

Master - 12:00

Scoop

Treb - 2:30

Mid - 9:00

Bass - 9:00

Pres - 10:00

Depth - 5:00

Use with a 1X12 or 2X12 open back cab @ 8 ohms.

Now hit it with your SAS set to:

V - 9:00

G - 2:00

Bias - 2:00

Neck PU."

Steve

"Customer has a Fifty/CL. Trades it in for a Sig:X. Likes it but misses some of the CL vibe - of course - 3 channels, 100W, KT88s, etc, etc...

Here's my shot at getting the Fifty/CL vibe happening on the Sig:

P.S. The Sig is definitely more "dense" in the low mids than the CL. Keeping the Bass low decreases the low end density while turning the Depth up enhances the CL low end resonance (speaker reaction). It may seem counter-intuitive...well, yeah, it is counter-intuitive. C'est la vie (all knob settings refer to the clock face hour hand:)

Rhyrhm Channel

“LIVE”

Gain I – 12

Gain II – 5

“BOOST”

‘MORE”

“40”

Master – 10

Treble – 1

Middle – 11

Bass – 12.30

Presence – 4:30