This place should be more popular.

The Hey days of HCAF....people keep bringing it up. It was hilarious, some of the funniest shit Ive ever seen.
  • The dude who kept posting Animal pictures (strangepigeon?).
  • Pepi and his EVH pictures,
  • The great John Ou bonfire....
  • the shred jams
  • All the amazing clips people put up, pre-youtube.
I missed all of that. Everyone talks about how great it was. It was before my time (at guitar).

You guys know how much I love this place though :D ❤️ 🖤 ❤️

I like the cut of your jib old timer. Don't give yourself a hernia moving those 60 lb Wizard heads around! Bend at the knees, the same way you do at your now semi annual rectal exams.
Still schlepping all the heavy stuff...vintage Twin Reverbs, Matchless C30, Clubman, Indy heads, 1 X 12 EVM12L Boogies, EV loaded 1960A 4 X 12 cabs. I learned to be slow and careful lifting back in my 30's.

Still walk 5 to 7 miles most all days rain, shine, heat, cold. It's just a habit that's so ingrained, my subconcious prods me to keep at it unless I'm deathly ill with something or have a temporary joint/muscle strain.

Gave up the booze and hard drugs long ago. My new and constant drug is simply feeling good on most days.

All in all, I'm grateful to still be kicking it at 64. My pop died at 64, but lived a terribly unhealthy life. No guarantee how much longer I'll live. I do my best in my mind to put no expectations on that. I'm just grateful to be able to do what I do and have my health for now knowing there is no guarantee on any of this. Fate can take it all away in an instant. We've all seen it happen.

One thing I love about these forums like this one, is besides the fact that moderation is very tolerant allowing people to be themselves (with limits of course), is that I can see myself as a person in days past over and over. It reaffirms my empathy for my fellow human and drives the fact home that inspite of all, none of us are perfect. For all the things that used to get under my skin, I've gotten under the skin of others in countless instances. Mostly due to my own ignorance, stupidity, and maligned ego. I'm a firm believer in allowing people for the most part, to be them selves. If I can't handle it, then I need to take myself out of that picture.

I often think of the old Jewish Proverb "We often do not see things as they are. We see things as we are."

I truly believe there's good in most people, which is what I'm always looking for.

I can get just as rude, intolerant, short sighted as any, but it's not something I wear as some kind of badge. I'm not proud of my mistakes, and can't change the past.

I think you all have a good place here.

Just the opinion of an old man happy to be 6ft above the dirt.

Still schlepping all the heavy stuff...vintage Twin Reverbs, Matchless C30, Clubman, Indy heads, 1 X 12 EVM12L Boogies, EV loaded 1960A 4 X 12 cabs. I learned to be slow and careful lifting back in my 30's.

Still walk 5 to 7 miles most all days rain, shine, heat, cold. It's just a habit that's so ingrained, my subconcious prods me to keep at it unless I'm deathly ill with something or have a temporary joint/muscle strain.

Gave up the booze and hard drugs long ago. My new and constant drug is simply feeling good on most days.

All in all, I'm grateful to still be kicking it at 64. My pop died at 64, but lived a terribly unhealthy life. No guarantee how much longer I'll live. I do my best in my mind to put no expectations on that. I'm just grateful to be able to do what I do and have my health for now knowing there is no guarantee on any of this. Fate can take it all away in an instant. We've all seen it happen.

One thing I love about these forums like this one, is besides the fact that moderation is very tolerant allowing people to be themselves (with limits of course), is that I can see myself as a person in days past over and over. It reaffirms my empathy for my fellow human and drives the fact home that inspite of all, none of us are perfect. For all the things that used to get under my skin, I've gotten under the skin of others in countless instances. Mostly due to my own ignorance, stupidity, and maligned ego. I'm a firm believer in allowing people for the most part, to be them selves. If I can't handle it, then I need to take myself out of that picture.

I often think of the old Jewish Proverb "We often do not see things as they are. We see things as we are."

I truly believe there's good in most people, which is what I'm always looking for.

I can get just as rude, intolerant, short sighted as any, but it's not something I wear as some kind of badge. I'm not proud of my mistakes, and can't change the past.

Respect....

images.jpg

Awesome!

maybe if that place was "laptop software rig-talk" for discussing how to make bloops and bleeps for kids to dance to on tik tok, it would be more popular </boomer>
Unfortunate, but true Jim! :doh:

Sensational post brudda; you're a gem mate. :cheers2:

I love the old forum format like RigTalk. The only downside is that often people here have alot of emotions invested in their nostalgia, so there is a bias. But aslong as you are aware of that, it's an extremely useful place.

I love the old forum format like RigTalk. The only downside is that often people here have alot of emotions invested in their nostalgia, so there is a bias. But aslong as you are aware of that, it's an extremely useful place.
For sure there is bias and you are right as long as you are aware you a good to go.

At least we don't have here like social media platforms do, where if they can figure out that you believe in say A, they will put more and more content supporting A, so you will then no see dissenting opinions. Dissenting opinions are good, as we should want to be challenged on our beliefs and assumptions. I have learned alot on forums over the years and in some cases had to admit at least to myself that I was wrong, but that is what learning is. :)

For sure there is bias and you are right as long as you are aware you a good to go.

At least we don't have here like social media platforms do, where if they can figure out that you believe in say A, they will put more and more content supporting A, so you will then no see dissenting opinions. Dissenting opinions are good, as we should want to be challenged on our beliefs and assumptions. I have learned alot on forums over the years and in some cases had to admit at least to myself that I was wrong, but that is what learning is. :)
Good point(s).

Old age has forced me to temper my internal responses to those personal biases. That and self awareness/impulse control goes a long ways to having better exchanges.

However, I remember my younger days and see myself of days past in a lot of these current emotional/impulsive responses . We are all a work in progress. My default these days is to practice more tolerance, more empathy. Not because I'm seeking any kind of approval, but because I really want to know what other people think sometimes. Plus....I really like people.

What I try to practice these days is telling others, be yourself. If I can't handle it, then I need to move on because it's my problem, not yours.

Remember the old IRC Chatrooms? The Wild Wild West. Even though people seem to be afforded the privilege to express themselves here more freely than say some place like TGP, this place is relatively sedate compared to the wacko/bizarro world of those old chatrooms.

I find it fascinating how the online environment is at times a prism view of humanity. At times, the acid test of character. So easy for anyone to say anything when you are not face-to-face/toe-to-toe with those you are speaking to.

Perhaps the best and most successful venues find a way to balance interesting subject matter, and entertainment while keeping things from running off the rails if you know what I mean. No easy feat/moving target sort of thing.

Not meaning to sound glibly patronizing, but compliments to the moderation staff here, as it's a thankless but necessary job.

The Hey days of HCAF....people keep bringing it up. It was hilarious, some of the funniest shit Ive ever seen.
  • The dude who kept posting Animal pictures (strangepigeon?).
  • Pepi and his EVH pictures,
  • The great John Ou bonfire....
  • the shred jams
  • All the amazing clips people put up, pre-youtube.
Pepi!Pepin!! 😅😅😅

I now understand what it means to be old. Tower Records is gone, at concerts everyone is holding up their phones and not clapping, and my wife (10 years younger than me) wonders why I'm bewildered when she asks if I want to watch the Kardashians.

I find myself wanting to run away from the "norm" or "typical" that is happening around me. I played guitar, painted a quick painting, and had a beer. It was so non technology and relaxing.

This forum has been around a long time. We've seen people pass away, folks move on, got advice, gave encouragement, etc. It is just a great place to find out some things and bond with like minded goons. Lol

Back