Most Overrated/Underrated Tone

Dimes tone is both over and under rated.
Total love or hate tone.
I've got a rig that nails it, but after about 10 minutes I'm wore out. The high end is punishing.
But that 10 minutes is a blast and makes me grin like the idiot I am.

I absolutely love the clank tone from Amon Amarth on "Raise your horns".

Overrated: every edge of breakup tone ever conceived. Rockman era def lep. Gnr, most dokken, most late 80’s rack tones like giant.

Underrated: Loudness, savatage, testament,wasp, high n dry era lep, pride era white lion.

Underrated: As I Lay Dying's tone on Shadows Are Security. Everybody talks about TEOH as far as 2000's Metalcore tones go, but I much prefer the tone on SAS. Much less clutter in the mids, and more grind up top. Love it! Don't get me wrong, I still love the tone on TEOH, but SAS is where it's at for me.

Overrated: every edge of breakup tone ever conceived. Rockman era def lep. Gnr, most dokken, most late 80’s rack tones like giant.

Underrated: Loudness, savatage, testament,wasp, high n dry era lep, pride era white lion.

Savatage is a good one.

I can see that and agree. But I would also say on the opposite end EVH and Yngwie imho also inspired so many obnoxious players that came after even though they themselves did great things. It’s like the opposite of using lemons to make lemonade. I know it’s controversial what I’m about to say and I do respect many other things about EVH but I always hated his style of leadwork. Talk about notes that don’t count lol. Often sounded like obnoxious noodly gobbly gook to me with zero tastefulness. Sadly inspired countless other players to follow suit with that style of leads. To me there are some guys like Marty Friedman or Rhoads where I’d describe their leads as “flash with class”, while EVH’s imo are flash without the class. It’s though imo one of the hardest things to do to write fast leadwork that actually tells a coherent story musically and maintains a thread to the story throughout. Friedman and Rhodes are among the only examples I can think of and they’re really more borderline shred rather than true shred like Shawn Lane for example, but even him, as much I admire his playing and feel, musically is not compelling to me. Alright long rant over lol. Almost done with my train ride to nyc
I completely agree. I knew there must be others

Overrated: Clapton

Underated: Jon Schaffer
The rhythm tone on Something Wicked and the first Demons and Wizards album is a high mark for metal tone. Very punchy and unique sounding- I remember reading that he used Larry amps and really wanting one until I saw how goddamn expensive they are (with a 5 plus year lead time to boot).

Overrated: Dimebag, Chuck Schuldiner, Mattias Jabs, I just don’t like stiff piercing treble. Funny but Randy Rhoads tone never bothered me, I don’t get the hate.

Underrated: as others have already noted Stryper, Savatage, Loudness, Uli Roth (how he got that tone with single coils I don’t know), Andy Larocque (King Diamond). Also Mercyful Fate (Denner/Sherman) but that was totally a Michael Schenker tone.

If you were fortunate to see Randy live, you would think differently. The studio recordings, everything sounds bad. I was lucky enough to see him and get right down front getting all stage volume and it was awesome. Gen admission ftw!

Ronnie was great live too…
Exactly. His live tone was incredible. Go listen to one of the many bootlegs on youtube. No issues with his tone. It is absolutely massive.

Also to the person who said Sambora... have you listened to those isolated tracks? The guitar sounds like shit. Like it was recorded in a small shower stall.

I would say that you have to look at the total picture. Some of these tones were horrible but in the mix they are perfect. So to me, it is sort of a pointless discussion. ( but i am glad to partake anyway lol)

Over rated , John Mayer $60,000 rig and bla
Underrated, Ty Tabor

Agree on Randy , on that subject which ozzy guitarist had great tone? Kind of a tough call, for me anyway, a band built around a bat eating Iconic singer and a guitar wizard. Did he just pench pennies with production and mixing? All of them have ungodly skills, but yea, Randy, then Jake buried in blankets and syrup. DOAMM was an improvement but still. The $ those albums reeled in and Sharon dog fucked everyone of those guitar players and band mates. Just MO of course

Over rated , John Mayer $60,000 rig and bla
Underrated, Ty Tabor

Agree on Randy , on that subject which ozzy guitarist had great tone? Kind of a tough call, for me anyway, a band built around a bat eating Iconic singer and a guitar wizard. Did he just pench pennies with production and mixing? All of them have ungodly skills, but yea, Randy, then Jake buried in blankets and syrup. DOAMM was an improvement but still. The $ those albums reeled in and Sharon dog fucked everyone of those guitar players and band mates. Just MO of course

I think you summarized that perfectly. I think Ultimate Sin has some pretty huge tones though.

man this is kinda tough. sometimes album tones suck compared to live tones...eg-Randy. I was crazy over Zakk's studio sounds...it was just killer for me...the BLS stuff is just horrible though....to me. Overrated and underrated...fuck. I don't know. Overrated...Clapton. Underrated..Hendrix and Page. IMO...

man this is kinda tough. sometimes album tones suck compared to live tones...eg-Randy. I was crazy over Zakk's studio sounds...it was just killer for me...the BLS stuff is just horrible though....to me. Overrated and underrated...fuck. I don't know. Overrated...Clapton. Underrated..Hendrix and Page. IMO...

Zakk should of had his chorus pedal and phaser removed years ago. Banned from their use for at least a decade. He was so good in Pride and Glory still. Had the fire both creative and lead playing wise. Then that beard and the biker shit took over and he was lost to us forever.

Back