Most Overrated/Underrated Tone

Michael Romeo - his tone has always been garbage. Huge fan, but most of their catalog is comprised of shitty tone. The drummer's snare always sounds like hitting a cereal box.

The rhythm tone on Something Wicked and the first Demons and Wizards album is a high mark for metal tone. Very punchy and unique sounding- I remember reading that he used Larry amps and really wanting one until I saw how goddamn expensive they are (with a 5 plus year lead time to boot).
Something Wicked, and ESPECIALLY Tribute To The Gods, (Cover album), had some of the best recorded metal tones I've ever heard.

Check out Tribute To The Gods. The tone is sick.

I think a good song and great playing can easily mask average or even bad tone. I’ve always said the same thing when guys make clips of their amps. People seem to gravitate toward guys with better chops vs guys who can’t play as well even through the same amp.

I bet there are plenty others besides us. They probably just think it would be sacrilege to acknowledge anything not good about him or other “guitar heroes”
au contraire, I constantly tell people. I just don't bring it up in the forum because people love him. I love his rhythm playing. That is the sound.

I just put Stryper on, their tones and production are superb. I had this record when I was a kid, literally haven’t listen to this in over 30 years lol. Never hear anyone talk about them

Yea always loved Stryper….except the drums. Just sounded toooo synthetic, or electronic

this right here is fucking badass. Saw them live with Suffocation few months back. Absolutely devestating. And the solo actually makes sense. Vitriol is another one with Solos that are useful not just a million fucking notes as fast as you can play them.

Also. I don't get people that don't get Dimebag...

Stryper had good tone? Sigh…sounded like a kazoo to me.

Saw a show in 86 I think with TNT, Loudness and then Stryper. Man Stryper had some horrible tones going on.

I think a good song and great playing can easily mask average or even bad tone. I’ve always said the same thing when guys make clips of their amps. People seem to gravitate toward guys with better chops vs guys who can’t play as well even through the same amp.
Absolutely, the player is key as is the song.

Somebody said Jabs...what?! That tone is gold!

Funny to hear how many mentions there are for Savatage. Wasn't Oliva just stacking two SD-1's through a clean amp??

The rhythm tone on Something Wicked and the first Demons and Wizards album is a high mark for metal tone. Very punchy and unique sounding- I remember reading that he used Larry amps and really wanting one until I saw how goddamn expensive they are (with a 5 plus year lead time to boot).
My Larry finally comes August 2024 . Covid unemployment money lol

Back