Most Overrated/Underrated Tone

Guitarists of significance. Even Kirk from Crowbar is more significant than Vitto... Kirk plays in Down and wrote much of their material. Not a shredder, but still a good riff writer.
Sorry dude Vito was far more ‘well known’ than who? Crowbar guitar player? Cmon. Never heard of Crowbar. Doesn’t mean he’s not a rippin player but I’d never ever believe a niche metal band (far from mainstream) lead players tone has been heard by more people than White Lion tone. WL was actually heard on mainstream radio my friend. Crowbar? Cmon.

Ya I remember those days . And it’s so funny to think AC/DC was considered so evil and satanic lol
Around the age of 10, I went to the annual local city fair. Rides, attractions, flea market type vendors, food, etc. Somehow a friend and I stumbled across a nondescript booth inside the main building. I forget what drew us into it but long story short, it was some religious group giving out free cassettes featuring an analytical dissection of Stairway to Heaven. Of course, the narrative was how evil and satanic the song was, when played backwards lol. That cassette must've been an hour long with many song sections isolated and reversed. E.g. "My sweet satan, blah blah blah, etc". Even at that young age I saw through that bullshit!

Sorry dude Vito was far more ‘well known’ than who? Crowbar guitar player? Cmon. Never heard of Crowbar. Doesn’t mean he’s not a rippin player but I’d never ever believe a niche metal band (far from mainstream) lead players tone has been heard by more people than White Lion tone. WL was actually heard on mainstream radio my friend. Crowbar? Cmon.
Crowbar is pretty big in underground metal circles. Probably THE band in the New Orleans/sludge metal genre, comfortably packing 1000 seat venues for a good portion of their 30 + year existence. A couple big White Lion radio hits from the 80's doesn't compare. That said, I can't stand either of them lol

Crowbar is pretty big in underground metal circles. Probably THE band in the New Orleans/sludge metal genre, comfortably packing 1000 seat venues for a good portion of their 30 + year existence. A couple big White Lion radio hits from the 80's doesn't compare. That said, I can't stand either of them lol
Well, millions heard White Lion on the radio whether anyone liked them or not. I highly doubt the same number heard Crowbar. When the Children Cry is cheese, 80s cheese at its finest complete with a Vito lead that sounds exactly like EVH. That song, I’d bet at some point was heard by a third of the country. Crowbar? Not so much.

Around the age of 10, I went to the annual local city fair. Rides, attractions, flea market type vendors, food, etc. Somehow a friend and I stumbled across a nondescript booth inside the main building. I forget what drew us into it but long story short, it was some religious group giving out free cassettes featuring an analytical dissection of Stairway to Heaven. Of course, the narrative was how evil and satanic the song was, when played backwards lol. That cassette must've been an hour long with many song sections isolated and reversed. E.g. "My sweet satan, blah blah blah, etc". Even at that young age I saw through that bullshit!
Hells Bells, Highway to Hell….it’s kinda funny; there’s a really talented Bass player/singer I know locally…since he’s become born again, he won’t touch any tune like that. Lol

i think kirk is definitely more well known, Down was a platinum selling band in the 90s and Crowbar are legends as well and both are still going strong today. kirk is a A-list metal legend

I actually dug most of what MC was doing in the '90's - but I assume most don't.
Again - they did a decent job IMO of trying to stay relevant.
I love that album . Power to the people is a classic ! What a tone
Check out the Crue song Bitter Pill . Bob and Mick crafted a slamming late 90s tone

You still have it ? That’s fucking classic

I love that album . Power to the people is a classic ! What a tone
Check out the Crue song Bitter Pill . Bob and Mick crafted a slamming late 90s tone
Corabi Crue was great.

Also, yeah - Bitter Pill, Find Myself, Afraid, Primal Scream, Glitter (not really a guitar jam), yeah I was down with all of it. So that was under-rated IMO.

Over-rated = SRV. I recognize his greatness and he could certainly sing using his guitar but I don't find myself proactively listening to his music :dunno:

Last edited:
Down, the other band he's in is quite popular and they still sell out huge shows and have been playing since the early 90's, unlike White Lion, who were only popular for what 4 or 5 years??

I can think of tons….
Frank Marino
Robin Trower
Uli Roth
SRV
Eric Johnson
just to name a few…
They ripped off his style a bit, but not his tone so much, other than Robin Trower who kinda had a more safe hendrix style tone. SRV?? not even close, Eric Johnson?? not even close.

Well, millions heard White Lion on the radio whether anyone liked them or not. I highly doubt the same number heard Crowbar. When the Children Cry is cheese, 80s cheese at its finest complete with a Vito lead that sounds exactly like EVH. That song, I’d bet at some point was heard by a third of the country. Crowbar? Not so much.
Crowbar was on Beavis and butthead, beat that!

Seriously though, White Lion came then were gone in a flash. Crowbar are a band that has had a solid career spanning many decades. I'm talking more about Down though, who are even more popular, even playing with Metallica.

Crowbar was on Beavis and butthead, beat that!

Seriously though, White Lion came then were gone in a flash. Crowbar are a band that has had a solid career spanning many decades. I'm talking more about Down though, who are even more popular, even playing with Metallica.
First off, I’m not a huge White Lion fan. Second, I DO like Pantera and have always given Dime his props. Great player.
But, when it comes to exposure and how many different people heard Vito’s solo in When the Children Cry, vs how many have heard Crowbar or whatever I’m still gonna say Vito takes it and it’s not even close. Vito was heard by EVERYONE on top 40 radio when that song (and ‘Wait’) were popular in 87-88; you’re talking 50 million plus. Doesn’t mean they liked it, but the heard it. Crowbar? I get it, they are influential in metal etc etc and have been playing shows forever. But I’d bet anything that the same crowd has been going to the shows over the years adding up to a significant number overall but it’s largely the same smaller group over and over….adding up over time but there aren’t 50 million different people listening to them. Imo anyway.

Back