Cleaning guitar body and hardware...

Bash_Man

hey everyone,
So going to re-string my 2 main guitars this or next week, but part of that I'd like to do a cleaning on the bodies and hardware like bridge, saddles, tail piece.

What's recommended to use for that cleaning?

I use the Dunlop 65 on the fretboard to clean it up.

Thanks

Free bump for a RT brother. :yes:

We leave no RT brother left behind.

The hardware must be pretty nasty? I've never cleaned my hardware with anything special but assuming you are taking it off the guitar altogether I would think Pine-Sol or similar (jewelry cleaner and the like) would be good depending on the metal. Nothing too corrosive like toothpaste, brasso, sink cleaners, rubbing alcohol, etc.

For the fretboard, I use a small amount of that fretboard cleaner (Dr Stringfellow I think). I spray it down and then rub the whole thing down with .0000 steel wool and clean the frets real good. After you put the strings back on it is almost as good sex :D

Free bump for a RT brother. :yes:

We leave no RT brother left behind.

The hardware must be pretty nasty? I've never cleaned my hardware with anything special but assuming you are taking it off the guitar altogether I would think Pine-Sol or similar (jewelry cleaner and the like) would be good depending on the metal. Nothing too corrosive like toothpaste, brasso, sink cleaners, rubbing alcohol, etc.

For the fretboard, I use a small amount of that fretboard cleaner (Dr Stringfellow I think). I spray it down and then rub the whole thing down with .0000 steel wool and clean the frets real good. After you put the strings back on it is almost as good sex :D
I wouldnt say its nasty. haha.. but we played 2 outdoor gigs and sweat got on the hardware. i tried to clean it the best to my abilities with a tooth brush (no tooth paste) but wanted to see if there's a way to give it that shine back.

Tbh I just use a q tip. Be sure to slobber as much as you can. Jk I just barely get it wet, that's what she said.

I dont know if there is a specific product tailored to hardware. Probably is but qtip works for me.

I like Howard feed n wax for rosewood or ebony fretboards. Everything else guitar polish a rag maybe can of compressed air for bridge or term.

Keep toothbrushes away from guitars period.

Unless they are brand new and dedicated for your guitar.

I would image pine-sol or similar would be perfectly fine for most hardware.

Keep toothbrushes away from guitars period.

Unless they are brand new and dedicated for your guitar.

I would image pine-sol or similar would be perfectly fine for most hardware.
oh yes it was brand new and has been set aside to use with the guitars. haha

Pine-sol? interesting. I'll check it out.

oh yes it was brand new and has been set aside to use with the guitars. haha

Pine-sol? interesting. I'll check it out.
Well, I'm guess dude. You should look into it a bit more. Usually the directions say to add x amount to y amount of water. I know it is fine for stainless steel. I would think to be really safe, hot water and dish soap.

I use music nomad products.

F-One oil for the fretboard. I will also use that on metal parts. Use a dedicated toothbrush and use the oil sparingly on the fretboard.0”

They have a spray on solution (I spray it on a micro fiber cloth to apply) called “Guitar Detailer”.

They also have a spray on cleaner/polish called “One”.

They have a guitar polish for working out little scratches and hazing. I also use this polish for polishing frets.

I also use their “Tune-it“ nut lube.

They also have a carnauba wax that I use.

For really nasty stuff, I use Naptha so long as the guitars finish is NOT nitro based. Just don’t leave it soaking as Naptha is a solvent. Since nitro is just cellulose suspended in a solvent that can be ”re-activated” by applying solvent to the cured finish, I tend to avoid any solvent use on nitro finishes.

Naptha is also really good for cleaning oil finished wood necks and fretboards. It will pull a lot of dirt and grime out, then I apply F-One oil following the naptha.

I use 0000 steel wool on frets and unfinished necks. You should cover your pickups with masking tape before using steel wool.

Last edited:
Use 0000 steel wool or the comparable scotch pads for the metal surfaces and fretboard.

Back