Wolfgang VH playing On Fire and Hot For Teacher

Wolfgang nailed it. Of course, he has powerful Van Halen dna infused within him elevating him to a level few musicians will ever know. He is a gnarly musician.

Missing the swing was due to the drummer. The drummer was drumming more metal than Southern California boogie. He was pushing too hard, imho. Too straight ahead. It did rock though.
Not just the drummer, you had Grohl pounding away on a semi distorted bass like he was a caveman. Rhythm section wasn’t doing it justice at all. But at the end of the day it was about celebrating lost friends and family and they looked like they were having a good time and the crowd was digging it. I didn’t know Wolf could play that stuff. He was impressive.

Not just the drummer, you had Grohl pounding away on a semi distorted bass like he was a caveman. Rhythm section wasn’t doing it justice at all. But at the end of the day it was about celebrating lost friends and family and they looked like they were having a good time and the crowd was digging it. I didn’t know Wolf could play that stuff. He was impressive.
Yeah, agreed. I’m not knocking it at all. I dug the shit out of it, for the record. It was more metal than swing though, and that was solely on the rhythm section. Wolf nailed it. It was cool when he missed a tad of the tapping lick on HFT, and he just smiled and moved on. His vocals were really good too.

Yeah, agreed. I’m not knocking it at all. I dug the shit out of it, for the record. It was more metal than swing though, and that was solely on the rhythm section. Wolf nailed it. It was cool when he missed a tad of the tapping lick on HFT, and he just smiled and moved on. His vocals were really good too.
Agreed, listening back, the drummers timing is too straight. He's rushing through it rather than playing WITH the guitar which is how Ed and Alex always did it, playing off each other. Alex could really groove though.

Agreed, listening back, the drummers timing is too straight. He's rushing through it rather than playing WITH the guitar which is how Ed and Alex always did it, playing off each other. Alex could really groove though.
Yeah, Alex and Eddie had a LOT of swing. You can tell they were massive ZZ Top fans. Beyond that, it’s hard to imagine two players being more internally in sync with each other, considering they grew in the same womb with the same heartbeat keeping time for both of them.

If there ever were a person who has the right to play these songs, Wolfgang is that person. I get he wants to play his own music, but his dad's legacy is still very important to him and all of us.
Agreed. He sounds more like his dad than anyone I've heard. I closed my eyes while listening to some of the clip and it is eerie.
It's like Ed still lives. In a sense he does.

Agreed. He sounds more like his dad than anyone I've heard. I closed my eyes while listening to some of the clip and it is eerie.
It's like Ed still lives. In a sense he does.
I wouldn't go that far.. he plays it well and as good as most but there are a few stand out clones that get closer if you want to nitpick. Hell Thorn does a pretty damn good job too. But that isn't what is important here. What is, is that he can play his ass off and def. represents the family name. Imo of course. ( which really is worth about as much as a Canadian tim hortons coffee)

^I respect your opinion. Thorn gets close.
Al Estrada is sooo great at it. There are some others too. Props to those guys. I can't even get in the same universe on a lot (vast majority) of VH stuff. But I hear something there when Wolfgang plays VH that was also there when his dad played. I can't exactly put my finger on it but I hear it and feel it. Sense of timing may have something to do with it, not sure.
All this is subjective of course and this is my humble opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it 😋.

^I respect your opinion. Thorn gets close.
Al Estrada is sooo great at it. There are some others too. Props to those guys. I can't even get in the same universe on a lot (vast majority) of VH stuff. But I hear something there when Wolfgang plays VH that was also there when his dad played. I can't exactly put my finger on it but I hear it and feel it. Sense of timing may have something to do with it, not sure.
All this is subjective of course and this is my humble opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it 😋.
Well EVH taught Wolfe… probably never said a word to those other guys. 🤣

Back