Finally bought my "Dream Amp"today ....disappointed....

RR628

Welp finally picked up an Uberschall Rev Blue and compared it to my Peavey 6505+ ........ im very disappointed to say the least and trying other amps always makes me love the peavey more and more even though ive owned it 10 years.

I was so excited to buy that amp and its just flubby sounding and lacks attack imo. Especially in any kind of mix. The peavey on the other hand never really loses its tightness or grit even with more bass ( I like mine at about 8-9 on the peavey).

I expected the Bogner to blow the peavey out the water with a 1700$ price difference but nope. Peavey really is the king metal amp imo. I cant find a amp I like better.

Bogner sounds like it either needs to have tubes rolled, bias checked, or you need to tell us more about the speakers you’re running.

How loud are you also playing these? Bogner does not build amps made for bedroom playing - they’re meant to be cranked - of course you own a 5150 so you already know this concept.

I own an XTC and a 5150 II, they both are on par with one another at band volumes, but boosting the blue channel of my XTC brings out a whole different animal - it really reigns supreme in my collection not only in gain but in tonal complexity. They’re both impressive.

I also have to tell you that Bogner designs amps that must be dialed in with your ears and not your eyes. You can’t use the same concepts that you know on a 5150 to dial in a Bogner.

I think there are many unknowns at the moment but these are all reasons people move on bogners without giving them a fair chance. Quite a few people have messaged me for settings on XTCs and the response is always positive - they aren’t your typical fender or Marshall settings.

Yeah, seems there is something wrong with the Uber or it’s not dialed in correctly. I sold an original block letter 5150 since I had a Rev green Uber. It just killed the Peavey in every way possible… just my opinion. 😉. That said, I love the Peavey 5150, 5150+. They are great amps.
I keep both around because at band levels the 5150 II really does a great job at being a workhorse channel switcher with a clean channel. Its miles more reliable than my Bogner IMO. It’s also far from stock…I cut my teeth on mods with mine years ago. I took a lot of gain out of mine and put back in a 33k slope resistor. Converted it to EL34s even before the 6534 even existed. All of it really helped.

Bogner sounds like it either needs to have tubes rolled, bias checked, or you need to tell us more about the speakers you’re running.

How loud are you also playing these? Bogner does not build amps made for bedroom playing - they’re meant to be cranked - of course you own a 5150 so you already know this concept.

I own an XTC and a 5150 II, they both are on par with one another at band volumes, but boosting the blue channel of my XTC brings out a whole different animal - it really reigns supreme in my collection not only in gain but in tonal complexity. They’re both impressive.

I also have to tell you that Bogner designs amps that must be dialed in with your ears and not your eyes. You can’t use the same concepts that you know on a 5150 to dial in a Bogner.

I think there are many unknowns at the moment but these are all reasons people move on bogners without giving them a fair chance. Quite a few people have messaged me for settings on XTCs and the response is always positive - they aren’t your typical fender or Marshall settings.

I’m gonna tinker with it more but I started with everything at 12 o clock and went from there on the Uber. It sounds too different to use my peavey settings on it.

I used a TS9 in front of both and heard a difference but it didn’t do much to the Uber.

I’m not using my cabs right now because I live in a apartment complex . I’m going into my Hx stomp with ownhammer IRs and go into HS-8 monitors or Sennheiser monitor headphones.

I’m gonna tinker with it more but I started with everything at 12 o clock and went from there on the Uber. It sounds too different to use my peavey settings on it.

I used a TS9 in front of both and heard a difference but it didn’t do much to the Uber.

I’m not using my cabs right now because I live in a apartment complex . I’m going into my Hx stomp with ownhammer IRs and go into HS-8 monitors or Sennheiser monitor headphones.
What loadbox? I didn’t see you mention one.

They must be cranked. Absolutely too much gain to be played at small volumes. What IR model?

Yeah no on the noon settings. Bogner was bad about using audio taper pots - you need to tweak from 0 to 10 on every knob to get a feel for it as 8 on some are noon for other amps.

It may just not be the amp for you, but there are a bunch of things to consider/trouble shoot first, some of which the other guys already addressed. Like the other guys said bias. Biasing it lower will help it sound tighter and clearer (I recommend lower than what the manual would suggest). For settings, I’d recommend master volume to be at least 1 o clock and set channel volume to taste. The eq controls of the Uber’s are also very strange. I dial them in the opposite of what I do on most amps. I’d recommend (I know it sounds wrong lol) having the presence and mids dialed way back, treble dialed way up, bass & gain set to taste. I should note though that this all applies to the Rev 1 Uber I’ve got. Since yours is a Rev Blue results may vary and to be perfectly honest I didn’t care as much myself for the later revisions after the 1st, but they still all have at least the same flavor. The 6505+ would be tighter, but shouldn’t at all be to the point where the Uber seems flubby or lacking attack. That suggests something wrong to me. Wouldn’t hurt also to have a good tech look at it. My Uber definitely benefitted from that

Last edited:
I think everyone has gone through this disappointment piece when you get a new amp that doesn't live up to it's expectations.
Sometimes the hype machine points you in the wrong direction. Sometimes you already have everything you need and should stop there.

At least you can check that one off of the list now.

That being said, the 20th XTC EL-34 that I recently got completely exceeded any expectations I had. I've been wanting to get one for the past 10 years and finally found a new one with the specs I wanted. It sounds amazing!

Last edited:
Can’t say I’m surprised :dunno: there aren’t many amps that are gonna blow away a 6505+ regardless of price.
You’re not wrong. Sound different? Sure. Blow it away? Personal opinion.

My 5150II has kept a lot of gas at bay even slightly modded. It just plain works. I’m thankful I’m done cycling amps. If the amps I have can’t do the job it’s not the amp that is the problem.

I just picked up my XTC and it took a few to dial it in but it was worth every penny. I have plenty of other amps that can hang with it but the Bogner has something special. Almost 3D sounding. The 6505+ is a tough amp to beat tho.

Welp finally picked up an Uberschall Rev Blue and compared it to my Peavey 6505+ ........ im very disappointed to say the least and trying other amps always makes me love the peavey more and more even though ive owned it 10 years.

I was so excited to buy that amp and its just flubby sounding and lacks attack imo. Especially in any kind of mix. The peavey on the other hand never really loses its tightness or grit even with more bass ( I like mine at about 8-9 on the peavey).

I expected the Bogner to blow the peavey out the water with a 1700$ price difference but nope. Peavey really is the king metal amp imo. I cant find an amp I like better.
Has happened to me many times. You can’t really tell an amp’s tone based on specs, YouTube videos or price.

Good point. Many, many amps were designed to have their intended tone at stage volume. If you can’t do that then a good attenuator is needed.
Once Rev blue gets to that point it can sound amazing. I’d let my singer play my rig while I was upstairs and even in his hands the Uber was great lol

I expected the Bogner to blow the peavey out the water with a 1700$ price difference but nope. Peavey really is the king metal amp imo. I cant find a amp I like better.
I wouldn’t recommend expecting to enjoy the sound of one amplifier over another based on what it costs. There really is no correlation between the two - expensive amps are nicer things to own, but the price is essentially tied to the manufacturing process and availability rather than some kind of elusive barrier that affects how good something sounds. It’s all subjective. Peavey are the best example of price/manufacturing method not getting in the way of their tone, as they are on so many albums. I’m not sure I’ve heard an “upgraded” Peavey that actually sounded better than a stock one too.

With that said, I wouldn’t write off an Uberschall so quick - you’re comparing it to an amp you’ve had a long time and you’re very familiar with. Spend some time trying to figure it out and where it shines. If you want it to sound like a 5150, it’s going to come second place there. It’s a quirky amp with its own behaviours and it’ll take a bit of time how to get the best out of it. They are fussy and it probably won’t work for as many things as the 6505+ will, but it could also turn out to be something nice that’s a bit different to what you have.

how can 'one' be surprised by the sound of a new amp?

didn't you try it before you purchased it?

sight unseen (ear unheard?)...???

we've really become sheep for shearing by the sales execs...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Back