Most overrated amp?

i cant even find any real CCV clips. these models sound good though :dunno: i think i like what ive heard from the ccm more than the v

I've heard this from a few peeps as well....love the modded Marshalls though.
My buddy had one seven years ago, and I had it at my house for a couple weeks before he sold it. I knew it would be a great investment to buy it from him and sit on it, but it was nothing that I absolutely had to have. Cool amp, but I’ll take a Cameron Marshall, or my old Mesas over it every time.

You need to turn the gain down and volume up on the Friedmans. 😋. I crank the presence, mids and bass with treble around 1 o'clock. Gain on BE is at 10:30. Great ac/dc. Also cleans up exceptionally well. Kick on the HBE when I want VHish tones.
Some amps are just this way

Supply and demand. The numbers produced were low, the amp has merit and it kills. Market pricing aside the IIC+/++ is one of the best designs ever produced like it or not.
I have a feeling most posters here that feel the C+ is overrated; haven't ever seen let alone played one. Now, is it worth the money? Of course not. But that goes for most amps out there that can fetch 5 figures, including Dumbles. But for feel, clarity, tightness and just plain overall tone it's one killer fn amp. Honestly I think if you play one and don't think ANYTHING in its tone is good to great you're deaf. Sorry.

Now, if you absolutely hate ALL Mesa Marks then I get it...you won't find anything good in ANY Mark so that's it end of story haha.

For overrated I have a few; G rectos...tubby bloated garbage EXCEPT for triples. Original 5150s...sorry Charlie, iconic for metal blah blah blah whenever I've played them they had to have serious volume to not sound fizzy as fuck. This was backline shit years ago, maybe they needed some servicing?
Bogner..dark and darker....not my thing. I'm sure there are some really good ones but I haven't personally played one.
Diezel..again, not my thing kinda sterile and un dynamic. Like Bogner I'm sure there are some great ones too.
5153s...plastic and fake/SS sounding. Not for me.

Couple exceptions to that list are F or earlier Rectos; I just picked up a C Dual that is completely unrelated to ANY Recto I've ever played...it's that different. Like a modded 2203, with even more balls to sound modern with a ton of TIGHT low end. This thing is amazing and it does have a LOT of low end, not like an F or G but easily enough to set it up to punch you in the gut every time you chug. I may like this even better than any of the C+ I owned. Just incredible.
I've also heard really good clips of those amps I don't care for, so I know there are great examples of them out there.

Friedman for me. Everything I heard about them was completely my tastes. Then when I had a Kemper, HX stomp etc the Friedman models were always my favorite. Then I played a few and owned a JJ Jr. And just couldn't jive with it. Was too polished for me.

Having said that I would love to try a SS100 v2

I have a feeling most posters here that feel the C+ is overrated; haven't ever seen let alone played one. Now, is it worth the money? Of course not. But that goes for most amps out there that can fetch 5 figures, including Dumbles. But for feel, clarity, tightness and just plain overall tone it's one killer fn amp. Honestly I think if you play one and don't think ANYTHING in its tone is good to great you're deaf. Sorry.

Now, if you absolutely hate ALL Mesa Marks then I get it...you won't find anything good in ANY Mark so that's it end of story haha.

For overrated I have a few; G rectos...tubby bloated garbage EXCEPT for triples. Original 5150s...sorry Charlie, iconic for metal blah blah blah whenever I've played them they had to have serious volume to not sound fizzy as fuck. This was backline shit years ago, maybe they needed some servicing?
Bogner..dark and darker....not my thing. I'm sure there are some really good ones but I haven't personally played one.
Diezel..again, not my thing kinda sterile and un dynamic. Like Bogner I'm sure there are some great ones too.
5153s...plastic and fake/SS sounding. Not for me.

Couple exceptions to that list are F or earlier Rectos; I just picked up a C Dual that is completely unrelated to ANY Recto I've ever played...it's that different. Like a modded 2203, with even more balls to sound modern with a ton of TIGHT low end. This thing is amazing and it does have a LOT of low end, not like an F or G but easily enough to set it up to punch you in the gut every time you chug. I may like this even better than any of the C+ I owned. Just incredible.
I've also heard really good clips of those amps I don't care for, so I know there are great examples of them out there.
I had a II C+ eons ago….and a OG 5150 I bought brand new. Kept the 5150, was an awesome amp. The Mesa couldn’t go away fast enough. 😁

Marshall DSL
I would have to disagree with you on the DSL. Last time I checked a Marshall DSL100 head was going for $899. That is all the amp most people will ever want or need. If someone does not have a lot of money to spend I always recommend getting the Marshall DSL. You can't go wrong with it and it has been used by tons of pro players including Jeff Beck and Gary Moore.

I would have to disagree with you on the DSL. Last time I checked a Marshall DSL100 head was going for $899. That is all the amp most people will ever want or need. If someone does not have a lot of money to spend I always recommend getting the Marshall DSL. You can't go wrong with it and it has been used by tons of pro players including Jeff Beck and Gary Moore.
Doug Rappaport and Joe Bonamasa have both been seen playing DSL’s live.

Diezel VH4 - This amp was billed to be the ultimate in modern tone and versatility. I can't stand the tone I get out of them. Every time I've played them, all I get is a harsh, flubby, grainy mess, no matter how I setup the controls. At their very best, they sound like a slightly worse take on a JCM 800-ish kind of amp. Even channel 4 just sounds like a JCM 800 circuit but with way more gain, but no additional filtering to control it, so it instantly goes fuzzy and flubby.

It also doesn't help that the VH4's super advanced look feels like it's writing checks the circuit can't cash.

Every generation of AxeFx supposedly “outmodels” the previous. The current word on the street is that the new Quad Cortex “out profiles” the Kemper. All these improvements are aimed at increasing realism. Why not be content with the real thing when it’s already there? Something’s wrong when the devices intended for replacing tube amps cost more than a respectable, moderately priced tube amp that’ll always sound and feel better.

-lower cost for what you get
-lower weight
-better consistency - your tone doesn't change over time or per venue
-Rarity (lose your favorite amp and that tone is just gone and you likely can't get it back even if you get another of the same make and model, which is hopefully still available. But if your modeler dies, just get another and upload your patches)
-Ease of troubleshooting problems
-Less maintenance
-often times you have a much greater degree of tweakability for both amp models and effects but this can be a negative if you don't know what you want

There's plenty of reason to like modelers.

Rectos. Wtf were people thinking back in the 90's and early 2000s?

I used to think this, but then I tried these amps with boosts and drives. With the right boost or pre-EQ, the Recto is one of the best sounding high gain amps ever made. But yeah, without a boost or the ability to filter away low end from the input, you’re right, it’s not much.

Last edited:
“JCM 800”

Great amps, but man do they ever get mega-hyped. And of course there are a lot of variants, and not the most consistent amps in the world.

Aren't all the usual suspects kind of overrated? There's always this ebb and flow of flavor of the month or whatever. Not to mention the occasional cult-like praise in some circles.

Disclaimer: I've been using an SLO pretty much exclusively for about 15 years. ...I'll see myself out. 😆

Friedman for me. Everything I heard about them was completely my tastes. Then when I had a Kemper, HX stomp etc the Friedman models were always my favorite. Then I played a few and owned a JJ Jr. And just couldn't jive with it. Was too polished for me.

Having said that I would love to try a SS100 v2
Only played a BE100 and a Runt. Both were okay, but neither made me even tempted to reach for my wallet. I think part of my issue was that my expectations were high based on the price.

Every generation of AxeFx supposedly “outmodels” the previous. The current word on the street is that the new Quad Cortex “out profiles” the Kemper. All these improvements are aimed at increasing realism. Why not be content with the real thing when it’s already there? Something’s wrong when the devices intended for replacing tube amps cost more than a respectable, moderately priced tube amp that’ll always sound and feel better.
a couple of reasons. First, I love recording with it, i find it much easier to get great tones recorded than with my amps. Second, I have access to hundreds of amps I will never get to own or play.

Can't argue the feel, tho. I've tried all sorts of ways to get it to work in the room, and it gets close, but it's not the same. I will say this - once we went to IEM's, the "in the room" argument wasn't as important.

a couple of reasons. First, I love recording with it, i find it much easier to get great tones recorded than with my amps. Second, I have access to hundreds of amps I will never get to own or play.

Can't argue the feel, tho. I've tried all sorts of ways to get it to work in the room, and it gets close, but it's not the same. I will say this - once we went to IEM's, the "in the room" argument wasn't as important.
closest to in the room i could get was out of KPA into a poweramp...it was a SS...but had some punch to it, into a 212. with some volume it began to get that liquid feel (my definition) you get with tubes and volume and cab.

it was still very "boomy" to my ears though...and i just couldn't get it out...and it bothered me.

Back