Most overrated amp?

you guys got me playing my iic+ now and fuck. there just isnt a more fun amp to play. they way you can just dig in harder and harder and it just gets tighter, juicier and meaner is something only my cameron comes somewhat close to. The top end just has this smooth sheen going on. I really need to do more recording with this thing

I know it will seem ridiculous but for me, at this point - pretty much anything Mesa.

I just feel like any model has ranged from ‘hell no’ to ‘meh, pretty good’ for me. I guess they are just are not my thing.

Suhr PT-100 is that way for me too.

Based on how many people RAVE about them I have never found Friedmans to be great for me, either
IIC+ by a fucking mile, SLO, dumble.

Agree with these for the most part.

My disagreement with boogies has been litigated many times on the forum, like @journeyman73 I guess they just arent my thing.

The 2C+ sound is certainly a thing, but its the only sound I like in the amp, and Metallica and Dream Theater already sounded like that.

I think SLOs sound great for leads, but they are pretty weak for rhythm tones. Too loose.

I've only played one dumble, but I almost laughed after playing it at Evergreen in seattle - it literally sounds like a Blackface fender with one of those belt clip boss preamps in front. The tan pants and loafers guys are insane.

Both the Friedman and Suhr stuff is simply not for me. Both sound like a super refined, pre-recorded tone on a record. And the Friedman stuff in particular has a ton of unusable gain, at least for my purposes.

Agree with these for the most part.

My disagreement with boogies has been litigated many times on the forum, like @journeyman73 I guess they just arent my thing.

The 2C+ sound is certainly a thing, but its the only sound I like in the amp, and Metallica and Dream Theater already sounded like that.

I think SLOs sound great for leads, but they are pretty weak for rhythm tones. Too loose.

I've only played one dumble, but I almost laughed after playing it at Evergreen in seattle - it literally sounds like a Blackface fender with one of those belt clip boss preamps in front. The tan pants and loafers guys are insane.

Both the Friedman and Suhr stuff is simply not for me. Both sound like a super refined, pre-recorded tone on a record. And the Friedman stuff in particular has a ton of unusable gain, at least for my purposes.
I’m big on SLO but I found if you boust it like an old rectifier the riff tones were not bad at all

Too many to fully list. Here are a few notable one: SLO, Mesa Rectifiers, Friedman… 🤣
I don’t disagree with any of these either.

First time I fired up a SLO and put the volume up it literally felt and sounded so close to my modded 5150 II that I laughed at the price. It was slightly more HIFI sounding but not to the tune of $3,000 more expensive. Never cared for one since.

Mesa anything hasn’t really been my thing.

I don’t disagree with any of these either.

First time I fired up a SLO and put the volume up it literally felt and sounded so close to my modded 5150 II that I laughed at the price. It was slightly more HIFI sounding but not to the tune of $3,000 more expensive. Never cared for one since.

Mesa anything hasn’t really been my thing.
I felt exactly about my SLO and 5150 II

A thought Nugent a wall of Dual Showman 100 watt Fenders/ Free for All . I have never heard such glorious noise out of a fender amp than that MFer could pullout those things with a Gibson Byrdland. It actually takes the cake over almost all rock tones especially if you there getting pushed and squeezed to death 3 feet from the stage sweating your ass off watching this fuckn madman tear it up for 2 hours solid. What did i say? :shocked:
For many old enough to remember one of those shows back in the day.......definitely one of those "had to be there" things.

Primal stuff, loud and intense. Guaranteed to leave an idelible mark on the brain.

And some hearing loss and possible tinnitus. Maybe accumulatively permanent.

And it might definitely change your world view on ampage. It did me.

As far as overated amps.....I would say everything I own except a couple of obscure Peavey solid state amps I hold onto for the nostalgia.

For the overated amps......well, I just had to find out for myself. But I like them, and if I sold any of them I'd probably lose my ass trying to unload them. So I'll just enjoy them and if I die sooner than expected, my wife and/or kids can sell em' all and party down. ;)

The most overrated amplifier..,
-there isn’t one.
Why not?
Two words, USER ERROR.
Endgame.,

On another note,
-This one is for UserError’s runnin’round stickin’
your chest out with your CCV’S,-
(The user error is you never use them,
When’s the last time you put a few hours on it??,
Hmm?,
Prolly’ maybe 10 hours over the course of years you’ve been hoarding those machines).

Last edited:
The most overrated amplifier..,
-there isn’t one.
Why not?
Two words, USER ERROR.
Endgame.,

On another note,
-This one is for UserError’s runnin’round stickin’
your chest out with your CCV’S,-
(The user error is you never use them,
When the last time you put a few hours on it??,
Prolly’ maybe 10 hours over the course of years you’ve been hoarding those machines).

Oh yes absolutely.......we live in a binary world shrouded in the penumbra known as the matrix.

mMIR85a.gif

I’m getting flamed over at the 5150/iconic FB page for saying the iconic smokes the III 6l6 100 watt. Lol
I've never tried the 100 watt, (though I hear great things about the 100 watt EL34), but the 50 watt is way overrated, IMO. Lacks any real character on the blue channel, and red is over-the-top, and ridiculously out of control. One of the few amps I've owned that had way too much gain at 9:00 o' clock on the gain knob. And lower gain tubes only make it over-the-top at 10:00, and neutered.

I'll take that Randall RD45H over the 50 watt 5150 III any day.

Back