Myasnikov Cantrell Mod Preamp

NewReligion

This preamp has sold but thought I would have some fun and add a video to the search menu due to so little data available.

I laid down a couple Cantrell riff’s using a JMP 2203 Power Amp section with a Vintage 30 Marshall 412.

Same circuit many are building related to the Snorkler, Bogner Fish & Triple Giant.

David

The pickup is a Gibson 498-T (my prefered humbucker).

The fabrication is solid.

This is not my build. I am doing a short demonstration of the Cantrell Mod preamp made by Myasnikov of Russia.

I only did this as when I purchased it used there was little data about the preamp.

It is indeed consistent with the Ronnie Champagne Bogner Snorkler amp, Nogners, Shark channel of the Fish Preamp & the Bogner & Hafler Triple Giant Preamp Sharp channel in addition the circuit done by BFG.

I also have a one off Cantrell Mod on a 1984 Marshall 2204 that Cameron had done but gave it to my youngest son.

There are so many ways to tweak this modification to make it sound different or more versatile.

I did need to change one of the Russian plastic tube sockets for a ceramic socket due to microphonic’s which is likely why it went up for sale.

For the money spent I could not say no even though I am well aware of the circuit.

Today a Soldano SP-77 Series II preamp arrives. Just kind of fun for me to be able to run any one of these preamps into an affects unit then out to a loop return on one of my 100 or 50 watt Marshall’s.

Thanks for the interest. And by the way it would very little to build this in the one space 19” rack mount form. It is well thought out by Myasnikov IMO other than the tube sockets.

David

What is harder in today’s climate? Purchasing and Getting the Myasnikov unit out of Russia or getting the unit through the US customs? Provided the shipment doesn’t get blown up while traveling?

I don’t think I’ve heard of it, but that sounds sick!

The man does great work IMO. As difficult as it is for we in the west to obtain his work Im sure it is the same for those in Russia to purchase the real originals. He is providing a great service to the guitar community in Russia especially during the current global trade climate.

David

This is not my build. I am doing a short demonstration of the Cantrell Mod preamp made by Myasnikov of Russia.

I only did this as when I purchased it used there was little data about the preamp.

It is indeed consistent with the Ronnie Champagne Bogner Snorkler amp, Nogners, Shark channel of the Fish Preamp & the Bogner & Hafler Triple Giant Preamp Sharp channel in addition the circuit done by BFG.

I also have a one off Cantrell Mod on a 1984 Marshall 2204 that Cameron had done but gave it to my youngest son.

There are so many ways to tweak this modification to make it sound different or more versatile.

I did need to change one of the Russian plastic tube sockets for a ceramic socket due to microphonic’s which is likely why it went up for sale.

For the money spent I could not say no even though I am well aware of the circuit.

Today a Soldano SP-77 Series II preamp arrives. Just kind of fun for me to be able to run any one of these preamps into an affects unit then out to a loop return on one of my 100 or 50 watt Marshall’s.

Thanks for the interest. And by the way it would very little to build this in the one space 19” rack mount form. It is well thought out by Myasnikov IMO other than the tube sockets
You did the great job, and I believe that creating harsh music is also a difficult job for anyone.

Thanks for the interest. And by the way it would very little to build this in the one space 19” rack mount form. It is well thought out by Myasnikov IMO other than the tube sockets.

David
Sounds really great. Thanks for sharing. A question, I had a fish with a Cantrell mod. The sounds for dirt seemed to really rely on the cantrell modded channel and the brown channel. The Bogner modded heads from my understanding were modded with his blue circuit board. It sounds like based off this description the preamp is kind of a big mix of all of these things? or am I totally mistaken here.

The Bogner modded heads from my understanding were modded with his blue circuit board.
K0IxOi8.jpg

Sounds really great. Thanks for sharing. A question, I had a fish with a Cantrell mod. The sounds for dirt seemed to really rely on the cantrell modded channel and the brown channel. The Bogner modded heads from my understanding were modded with his blue circuit board. It sounds like based off this description the preamp is kind of a big mix of all of these things? or am I totally mistaken here.
I believe you are on the correct path. There were “many” mods Bogner did with the small blue PCB with his initials on it “RB”. Not always the same circuit mod either. I have seen some that were small gray or silver PCB’s. Mark Cameron’s friend Jason found a 2204 in Bogner’s home town in Germany which was incomplete. Jason told me it took Mark about 3 years to get it where they wanted it.

Jerry used a few different amps on Dirt to include Dual Rectifier’s. Sometimes layering a cleaner tone as well just as Lynch & others.

For me the greatest tone is We Fie Young on Facelift. It is really raunchy with a kind of grind to it. I have been working in that direction as I have not heard it reproduced to date with just a guitar straight in but I’m close. Factor in any pedals that may have been used, how hot the mixing levels were etc…

Chasing tone can drive a guitarist crazy.

The go to Cantrell mod a.k.a. Snorkler, Fish & even the Hafler-Bogner Triple Giant use a lot of .047uf coupling & tone stack caps with variations on a traditional 1959 TMB & even a completely different variant to arrive where the builder desires. BRIAN at BFG also has completed a couple of these circuits that I am aware of.

I have been inside several variants from different builders. I will simply say it is my opinion that there is a lot more to the Facelift tone than a four stage, non cathode follower circuit using .047uf caps to reproduce what I hear. I feel the cords, double stops should bloom & lead lines sing. This requires a balance of saturation without too much compression which would likely answers why some guys use a variety of components & changes when building the same “mod”.

I for one have more core modifications which take up to 15 hours to complete. I then use Deca boxes to fine tune the circuit. Then I put about ten hours on an amp to settle the resistors & flow the caps before a final bias & approval.

I hope this addressed your questions.

Thank you for listening & posting.

David Hopkins

Back