Top 5150 Tones!!

frontline205

Much like people have there favorite Marshall tones. What’s everyone’s favorite guitar tone using a 5150 style amp. Either EVH or Peavey. For me it’s Trivium’s ascendancy album. That was the album that reallly introduced me to heavier styles of music. After that I’d say Amon Amarth’s entire pursuit of Vikings tone.
Their are some amazing 5150 tones out there. Which one’s do you guys like.

Trivium is a band I don’t listen to much but man their 5150 times are fantastic. Scream Aim Fire (BFMV) sounds like 5150 and if it is it’s great . The think it might a rectifier mixed with 5150

In Flames
Devin Townsend (e.g. Strapping Young Lad, Ocean Machine: Biomech, Soilwork's Natural Born Chaos)

Well, too many to count really. 5150's were everywhere (and still are considering that a shitload of stuff is just a 5150 disguised in a new look with some additional features). It's kinda the reason I still have a 5150 pre even though I could never really gel with the 5150/6505 when I had one.

Last edited:
For what it’s worth, ascendancy was a 5150 and a recto, not just a 5150. But I think the main tone was a 5150 through a krank cab.

Heartwork, clayman, anything out of studio fredman, black dahlia murder. Ironically though, every one of these records had some weird/out there techniques to get those tones. Heartwork and the frankencab, clayman with a Laney head and a Marshall valvestate blended in, black dahlia and the parallel EQing done under the main tone etc.

Oh, and for the “im a bullshitter” crowd lol

106F91D2-2ABD-426C-B307-A68B4FF71E9E.png

Extra 5150 users (in combo with other amps)
I'm deviating a little from the pure 5150 albums, but hey.

Satriani - (every album since 93, except 'Engines')
Drew Goddard - Karnivool (his main amp and tone)
Cantrell - a bit on the Dog album

Tangent: Only because I was reading his book" Strange Beautiful Music" to confirm my 5150 thoughts, Satriani used a Wizard on Super Colossal, Professor Satch.., Black Swans.., Unstoppable Momentum.
An SLO on The Extremist and a Mark IIC on Flying in a Blue Dream

Just because I know those amps have such great friendly discussion threads

Last edited:
Back