New Metallica song. I'm curious what everyone thinks

Quick, kids! Be the first one to learn this song and post a YouTube cover as fast as you can so you can be cool! Don't appreciate the song and let it soak in at all....., just chew it up, spit it out without digesting it, and onto the next so you can say you were the first one to cover it!! 🙁

I think it is a solid tune, 7/10. Listen, I know EVERYONE rags on Kirk, but he genuinely is phoning it in with this lead and every lead on the last two albums in my honest humble opinion. I grew up idolizing these guys and picked up a guitar because of Metallica/Megadeth/KISS etc. I love their stuff, and I truly wish Kirk TRIED harder to sit down and figure something out that sounds DIFFERENT than rehashed shitty licks. He has it in him, I just wish he believed it himself.
He really seems like he hasn’t learned a new lick since 1991 . It’s crazy he plays the licks . And now he’s sloppier . I love Kirk . But he definitely phones it in like no other

I think it is a solid tune, 7/10. Listen, I know EVERYONE rags on Kirk, but he genuinely is phoning it in with this lead and every lead on the last two albums in my honest humble opinion. I grew up idolizing these guys and picked up a guitar because of Metallica/Megadeth/KISS etc. I love their stuff, and I truly wish Kirk TRIED harder to sit down and figure something out that sounds DIFFERENT than rehashed shitty licks. He has it in him, I just wish he believed it himself.
Agree. He still has the chops to physically play the old catalog solos, he just seems to choose the path of least resistance and lets Lars produce his 'in the moment' type rambling noodle solos.
Meh, he's been doing it since Black album pretty much. It won't change now.

Agree. He still has the chops to physically play the old catalog solos, he just seems to choose the path of least resistance and lets Lars produce his 'in the moment' type rambling noodle solos.
Meh, he's been doing it since Black album pretty much. It won't change now.
You said it right there dude (y)

KH has never truly been a shredder. Sure, he had some ok moments in his early career when he personally had more fire, but honestly he was never a virtuoso shred machine, especially against the fierce competition he had in their heyday from the mid 80's to early 90's. Its well documented he loves and was inspired by blues players such as Hendrix and Gary Moore, which is perfectly fine. Unforgiven solo is a masterpiece (thanks more to Bob Rock pushing Hamster to do it). At this point in your career and work ethic, stick to that formula and compliment the song. Nobody would hate on it. Diehard fans, especially fellow guitar players, by now know his limitations as a player and would welcome and probably enjoy more so a singing lead that was done tastefully and more importantly memorable.

I listened to this track my 4th time just now and his solo is just embarrassing. Those slides he does is just awful and does not fit the song at all.

Im just wondering why they even have Trujillo in that band. They certainly aren't utilizing him.

Right! Dude is phenomenal. Badass. Killer, even.
I mean, he worked his way up to the top of the heap and is earning his paycheck, but is he happy? He has so much more to offer. Kinda like PhilX backing Bon Jovi. Has to hurt your artistic soul every day.

I liked it, kind of a mix of an older school with modern Metallica. Hetfield is still hitting some high notes on that chorus, power to him man. Most dudes his age doing this kind of stuff can't really sing anymore other than the Halfords, Dickensons and Ozzys lol.

Right! Dude is phenomenal. Badass. Killer, even.
I mean, he worked his way up to the top of the heap and is earning his paycheck, but is he happy? He has so much more to offer. Kinda like PhilX backing Bon Jovi. Has to hurt your artistic soul every day.

I've always thought of Robert as a round peg trying to fit in a square hole. He's a great bass player sure, but he's not cut out for Metallica. I dunno, maybe it's just that I've seen him do that same absurd looking goofy gorilla waddle on stage non-stop for years, always wearing jerseys, and flapping those weird middle school girl hair braids around, and just wrote him off as a clown who is better off ignored. Sure he's a talented and dedicated musician, but his personality seems about as far from Metallica as it gets.

The thing is that if he was in any other band, I think I'd probably just think he was some cool funky bass playing dude. But Metallica has always seemed darker and more serious than Robert’s vibe, so my brain does this “one of these things is not like the others” thing when I see him on stage with the rest of James & Co., and I start looking for reasons not to like him.

Funny, now that I think about it, seems like it's Metallica's bass players who've had the closest ties with the different eras of the band.

Last edited:
I've always thought of Robert as a round peg trying to fit in a square hole. He's a great bass player sure, but he's not cut out for Metallica. I dunno, maybe it's just that I've seen him do that same absurd looking goofy gorilla waddle on stage non-stop for years, always wearing jerseys, and flapping those weird middle school girl hair braids around, and just wrote him off as a clown who is better off ignored. Sure he's a talented and dedicated musician, but his personality seems about as far from Metallica as it gets.

Funny, now that I think about it, seems like it's Metallica's bass players who've had the closest ties with the different eras of the band.
I liked him with Infectious Grooves.
Dude was a monster.
He has way more to offer than his roll in Metallica. I don't think he's free to do anything else while in Metallica.
I'd love to hear him in some punky, funky stuff. Just going off. I'm sure Dave Grohl would be happy to jam with him. 😆

Dude was a monster.
He has way more to offer than his roll in Metallica. I don't think he's free to do anything else while in Metallica.
I'd love to hear him in some punky, funky stuff. Just going off. I'm sure Dave Grohl would be happy to jam with him. 😆
He sounds solid as hell on Jerry's "Degradation Trip" albums. Thats how prominent in the mix with Metallica he should be.

He sounds solid as hell on Jerry's "Degradation Trip" albums. Thats how prominent in the mix with Metallica he should be.

I had no idea he played on that!
I listened to that cd way back in the day. Early 2000s, in an apartment, on my Pioneer 6cd changer. 😆

Dude was a monster.
He will be on new Farmikos album from what Ive heard.... even talks of him in the band for some gig dates :)

I heard it twice yesterday...First was on the radio going home. I thought verse part was hit the lights, then went happy. It was very punk. That was my thoughts as well. I know one of the first posts was not bad for guys in their 60's, which is true, I'd just say the new Megadeth is way better than this though. But I'll save that for after I hear the whole album.

Not bad, definitely seems to be a digital sound , the guitar solo, is that the ascending phrase from sandman? Damn then the whammy stuff, he hit the wall I think maybe he just couldn't shred to the riff or even nasty it up a bit, he must be reading his press clippings, no wah? Is it really him🤔

Not bad, definitely seems to be a digital sound , the guitar solo, is that the ascending phrase from sandman? Damn then the whammy stuff, he hit the wall I think maybe he just couldn't shred to the riff or even nasty it up a bit, he must be reading his press clippings, no wah? Is it really him🤔

What do you mean by "digital?" Please describe what "digital" sounds like.

Reason I ask is because 99% of the time when people describe sound as "digital" what they're really saying is simply "I don't like it."

You said it right there dude (y)

KH has never truly been a shredder. Sure, he had some ok moments in his early career when he personally had more fire, but honestly he was never a virtuoso shred machine, especially against the fierce competition he had in their heyday from the mid 80's to early 90's. Its well documented he loves and was inspired by blues players such as Hendrix and Gary Moore, which is perfectly fine. Unforgiven solo is a masterpiece (thanks more to Bob Rock pushing Hamster to do it). At this point in your career and work ethic, stick to that formula and compliment the song. Nobody would hate on it. Diehard fans, especially fellow guitar players, by now know his limitations as a player and would welcome and probably enjoy more so a singing lead that was done tastefully and more importantly memorable.

I listened to this track my 4th time just now and his solo is just embarrassing. Those slides he does is just awful and does not fit the song at all.
On justice Kirk was getting there . Blackened was getting spaced out on the solo .
Dude was a monster.
he’s better at guitar than any one else in Metallica too

Back