2 point trem to Floyd, will it cover the old holes?

Kapo_Polenton

Been googling for a few days and can't find a definitive answer. I have a 2 point strat trem that I have been using with a Wilkinson VS100 but I want to try a non fine tuner floyd in it's spot. Will the floyd posts being slightly wider, interfere with existing holes of the two point? If I have to fill and sand them forget it, not worth it as this guitar has a Koa thin top over alder and it will never match. I'd prefer just to leave those existing holes and have the floyd cover it. The question is, will the holes for the floyd posts require more wood to drill into and the existing posts be in the way.

Anybody know?

Not familiar enough with the Wilk but usually the posts will be in the way. My guess is you would have to fill the holes and start over.

Not familiar enough with the Wilk but usually the posts will be in the way. My guess is you would have to fill the holes and start over.
Wilkinson has same foot print as any 2 point fended trem really. I guess I will just have to make the Wilkie or a gotoh 510 work. I want to go vega trem but with tax the damn thing is near 500$! At that point I am half way to a diff guitar.

Reactions: Geo
Maybe I am crazy but here is an old body routed for a special and I stuck a 2 point bridge inside... I'm thinking there might be room for the posts to coexist?

20230112_233357.jpg

The low E is way too close.

You are probably right... it's a bummer, the Wilkinson trem screws don't fit in the USA posts so for the VS-100 to rock properly I can't use the USA screws. SO I either have to pull the USA posts and fit the Wilkinson ones in, or while doing that anyway, plug em and drill new ones for a NFT floyd. Decisions....

Just a thought but it seems to me that if the old inserts are left in place that strength might not be an issue and it might actually work. I don’t know if the saddles vs posts distance is the same so the Floyd posts might have to move toward or away from the headstock which might give you a little more space there.

But I’m just guessing/thinking out loud, I really don’t know.

Also, the knife edges look pretty gnarly on that bridge but that might just be chipped paint/finish.

Also, the knife edges look pretty gnarly on that bridge but that might just be chipped paint/finish.
That bridge is the old one i pulled out of the guitar before replacing with the wilkinson and yes, there is some wear there. def not the best quality bridge. I think it is too close to call.. the floyd insert posts might butt up right against existing ones and could be reinforced somewhat by the old posts but it needs to be exact for a NFT floyd that doesn't have a flat edge. I guess with the 200$ for a NFT floyd and the work involved, do i just want to spend almost 500$ CAD and get a Vega Trem and call it a day. they don't look that cool for all that cash either.

I have this template on order as I wanted a template for future use and if you look, the two floyd posts would sit ahead of the 2 point trem posts so at least from a cosmetic perspective, they are covered. I do think they might contact each other on the edges. I might give it a go.. if I have to plug em, my understanding is wood dowel and a bit of wood glue, sand down any dowel sprout and stain it as close as you can get it. ( or leave it seeing as it won't be seen anyway)

Attachments

• template.jpg
    template.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 38
I've seen adapter plates for mounting FR to six screw strats, maybe they make one for 2 post models?

Use the old wood screw style Floyd studs, not the threaded insert (newer) style, the holes on the wood screw ones are smaller.

Use the old wood screw style Floyd studs, not the threaded insert (newer) style, the holes on the wood screw ones are smaller.
I have a set of those on the vantage guitar seen above. They are screws looks like and thinner. An option maybe but I might just get the floyd, see what it all looks like and then decide to plug or not.

Good idea Pauly, essentially what this guy is showing and there is Def room without plugging those holes if I want. The new inserts are huge!

Good idea Pauly, essentially what this guy is showing and there is Def room without plugging those holes if I want. The new inserts are huge!

He made me cringe when he almost dropped the Floyd on top of the guitar.

Also, he is going to have to shim the shit out of that neck to get a good angle.

He made me cringe when he almost dropped the Floyd on top of the guitar.

Also, he is going to have to shim the shit out of that neck to get a good angle.

I think that depends on a few factors.. my guitar now the action is super low with a two point Wilkie and the non fine tuner floyd I want to put in actually seems to have a lower profile. I am not a fan of recessed. Great for action but it feels like it robs me of dive range when I want to bomb the trem. I am a top mounted guy I guess.

I think that depends on a few factors.. my guitar now the action is super low with a two point Wilkie and the non fine tuner floyd I want to put in actually seems to have a lower profile. I am not a fan of recessed. Great for action but it feels like it robs me of dive range when I want to bomb the trem. I am a top mounted guy I guess.
I am as well, Warmoth will actually angle the pocket for you for a couple bucks.

If you need to shim, I found these work really well.

https://www.stewmac.com/tonewoods/s...c-guitar-necks/stewmac-neck-shims-for-guitar/

So the plot thickens! My non fine tuner floyd arrived and it actually comes with old school screw in floyd screws, not the posts with sleeves. So this thing actually will fit if I want it to. Just need to figure out what the best way is to drill them in so they work without the hole being too big. Not much by way of instructions in the case.

Reactions: Geo
Back