Malmsteen " Master clinic" last night.. Fury Released!

Kapo_Polenton

So I saw Malmsteen last night in what has been billed in the Canadian market as a " masterclass" or " intimate night" with Malmsteen with limited tickets. This essentially means that he was able not to pay his band and they strung together 4-5 days in a row where he plays a show starting in Quebec city and working towards Toronto. I'm sure they will cram a few more in before he goes. Format is simple, you are told at the door NO cameras or video and if you take it out, Lord Malmsteen will leave the stage and refuse to play. According to the security guards, the show almost didn't happen because someone took a vid the night before and posted that he was sloppy or something. As such, the fury was felt and the world almost burned.... luckily it id not. He floated down the stairs at 10:30 pm ( did not come out from the back room like all other acts) and went right on stage. Wall of Marshalls, pedal board, mic stand with a thousand picks, light show and even a smoke machine! It was hilarious. I had posted on the club site a while back asking if he'd have a smoke machine and these guys came through. Timed perfectly with the end of the songs and a few kicks.

So essentially he comes on and plays 8-10 songs and answers a few questions in between the songs. If questions are interesting, he will talk a bit, if not he just rips. Song choices were more of his modern " compositions" which let's be honest, are a complete mess. Technically proficient yes but he's always rushing the tempo and trying to cram as many arpeggios and notes into a bar. Nothing breathes anymore. Still fun to watch and get your ears blasted though.

The questions were mostly from a mic being passed around up front and were from people wanting to profess their love to the lord and how great he is. We get it, he's incredible but we don't need your life story, what is your question? A few juicy answers though which are Rig Talk worthy:

We Are Stars with Dio - He said he went in there and waited forever because Brad Gillis took over 4 hours to record 4 bars lol. Wanking away on his whammy bar. Then Lynch took 2 1/2 hours to do the same. He took 9 minutes and reminded them that it is only 4 bars... I loved that because when you listen to the extended version with all the solos, Yngwie destroys pretty much everyone.

He learned all of Blackmore's licks on Made in Japan by the time he was 9. He loves Ritchie but thinks he plays simple stuff. Pentatonics are simple. He then played a bit of lazy and honestly, I thought that was the best part. That guy has incredible blues chops. Same 5 notes anyone can play but the way he attacks them is insane.

His influences are Bach and Pagannini etc.. we've all heard that before. Pretending that Uli Roth and Michael Schenker never did anything melodic and classical sounding and that he was the first. He did have a unique taste on it but come on, selective history here.

What does he listen to in his car? The sound of a twin turbo v6 pushing out over 1000 hp. music to his ears. Ferrari logos everywhere from pedal board to guitars. I checked out his pedalboard, looked like the old Dod YJM sig model but could have been the Fender. More is More so everything was pinned on the thing. Vol/Gain max.

Spoke with guitar tech. Tried to get the tuning secret but he was a bit reluctant it seems. Essentially oil the nut and trem and work it in as I have seen on lots of tuning tips vids. Lube it, stretch strings, but then initially dive - retune, dive-retune, play it retune, until it more or less holds. Gotta suck to have to change strings and redo that frequently but that is also why he had 3 guitars with him. You can probably get more life out of the strings and tuning that way.

For Psycho Dave.. leather pants and black pirate shirt, dyed hair and chains everywhere. So consistent, I love it. Def. has the look.

Funniest part.. Yngwie is unique in that he can be funny / friendly but a dick at the same time. Ego def. on play as about half way through the set he starts counting down the songs. " ok, I've got four songs left and after this, I'm outta here. If you have questions, now is it"... " like i said, 2 songs left and I'm gone" .. " Remember, this is it, I'm out after this one". Boom, Far Beyond the Sun, guitar off and left on speaker, he's out stage left and up the stairs. See ya later mortals!

Anyway long post but the whole thing was amazing because it delivered everything I needed to see and already knew. Amazing player, huge ego, kicks and pick flicks, smoke machines. 80$ a pop, 300-400 people in each venue, that's bank. The guy can probably make 50K a week. I was glad I could help him put that towards another Ferrari while not even knowing what city he was in. Amen.

In the mid 90’s I went to see Yngwie play on a Thursday night in North New Jersey. There were less than 20 people there. Yngwie was open and candid and said screw the set list. Asked for people to call out songs. Sometimes they played the whole song, sometimes he would play the main riff and solo and be done with it. He must have played a 20 minute solo including making everyone deaf with using the delay feedback trick. I’ve seen Yngwie play a lot and this was my most memorable experience… outside of the time a guy was flipping him off, so Yngwie jumped off the stage and beat the hell out of him, then jumped back on stage without missing a beat. lol

Thanks for pointing out his attire for me. 🤣

That was a great read - thanks for posting. Was he sporting the penciled on eyebrows in addition to the dyed hair?:giggle:

In the mid 90’s I went to see Yngwie play on a Thursday night in North New Jersey. There were less than 20 people there. Yngwie was open and candid and said screw the set list. Asked for people to call out songs. Sometimes they played the whole song, sometimes he would play the main riff and solo and be done with it. He must have played a 20 minute solo including making everyone deaf with using the delay feedback trick. I’ve seen Yngwie play a lot and this was my most memorable experience… outside of the time a guy was flipping him off, so Yngwie jumped off the stage and beat the hell out of him, then jumped back on stage without missing a beat. lol

Was this by chance at the Cricket Club in Irvington, NJ? I was at that show and your description fits. I still can't hear right from that gig!

That was a great read - thanks for posting. Was he sporting the penciled on eyebrows in addition to the dyed hair?:giggle:
Hell yes...at one point he closed his eyes and I could see light blue eye shadow 💙 on his eye lid.

The guy is amazing at creating and maintaining this image that he is God's gift to guitar mankind. It's hard not to get sucked in. Even if you had no idea who he was and he walked by you at the airport you'd think, that dude is somebody! He's also a big guy with some mitts on him so I believe the stories about him beating on people here or there.

His backup band bailed on him prior to the tour and he just played along to tracks?
Even worse, I think he just figured he could make more cash by leaving the dead weight behind and touring with a ratty old suitcase for his cables and pedalboard and 3 guitars. Not his problem though, his tech has to lug all that stuff around for 100 bucks a night I'm sure.

Personally I wish there were a band, I like the old tunes and was hoping to hear the rising force solo but I guess that was too " simple" for this " master clinic".

I was hoping they pass the mic around because I was dead set on asking him if he'd ever work with Sotto again or some of the other vocalists who helped get him to the show in the first place..

Great review. Thanks for taking the time to write all that out.
I've seen him 3 or 4 times. First time was in Yokosuka Japan in ~1993. He played in a venue right outside the Navy base, nice theater. I was star struck for sure, he was and has been my favorite player.

Hell yes...at one point he closed his eyes and I could see light blue eye shadow 💙 on his eye lid.

The guy is amazing at creating and maintaining this image that he is God's gift to guitar mankind. It's hard not to get sucked in. Even if you had no idea who he was and he walked by you at the airport you'd think, that dude is somebody! He's also a big guy with some mitts on him so I believe the stories about him beating on people here or there.
Oh man - he sure is pretentious as all hell isn't he!

I have seen him probably over 20 times and I have seen "some things!" One funny memory at BB Kings in NYC: His drummer was doing a short solo and off to the side of the stage, I could see his wife April blow drying his hair! I saw Lexxi Foxx do the exact same thing, but hell - Steel Panther is a goof band!

Hahahah that‘s a spot on review of the Yngwie masterclass I saw down here a few years ago! :ROFLMAO:

The majority of the people who showed up weren’t guitar players because it was booked at the venue all the smaller national acts play at. He kept asking for questions but got annoyed when people asked things like “How long have you been living in South Florida?”, “How many Ferarri’s do you have?” He said something like “We’re supposed to be talking about guitar playing, not cars…” and eventually gave up on the questions and just played the rest of the night.

The venue is about 30 minutes from his house, so I wasn’t surprised to see a red Ferrari parked behind the venue when I pulled up. Bands have to park their busses in front of the venue because the alley behind the place is too small for anything bigger than a pickup truck, there was just a Uhaul in the parking lot that was clearly for all the fucking Marshalls. My buddy runs sound at that venue so I went back to watch from FOH, my buddy leans over and points to the faders on the board, starts yelling “He’s not even coming through the PA, his cab mics are off but I can’t get his shitty backing tracks over his fucking Marshalls!” :LOL: His backing tracks weren’t mastered at all.

I had to walk up to the stage to get those Marshalls directly in my face, the cabs were maybe 10 feet from the front of the stage, I could handle it for about 20 seconds before I had to walk away. Holy fucking shit, man. Even at the back of the venue it was grating on the ears, I had to go up on the balcony to escape it while still watching.

He wasn’t being a cunt about filming, though, someone filmed the whole thing-

What club in northern NJ ?

I really dont remember the name. It wasnt very big... I believe it was a little north of Woodbridge Center off 1/9. I just looked up a map and it looks like a Chick fil A is in the spot.
I know what club you're talking about but I can't remember the name either .

Back