Most underrated Metallica tone

not me, wizard dryness and that modern processed diezel sound is exactly opposite of what hetfield needs now imo, he needs more raw and angrier tones like he used to, i kind of want to hear him through the old tried and true boosted and scooped 5150
Agreed 100%

I actually love the Vh4 tones on st anger . That was last time they had a good tone. Soldano SLO is n Hardwired a lot . They use it during thise making of the song videos.the last 2 albums tones sound like not trying . I seriously thing James missed whst tsor did to his tone
I like the tone on the studio rehearsal videos as it sounds a bit more down to basics. I hear the VH4 much more on that. The intro to Sweet Amber particularly. I guess I'm thinking of the myriad of amps they had in the studio for that album, and it just ended up in a dense aggressive tone that didn't need that much of a variety of amps to achieve, but I guess the material required it though.

I like the tone on the studio rehearsal videos as it sounds a bit more down to basics. I hear the VH4 much more on that. The intro to Sweet Amber particularly. I guess I'm thinking of the myriad of amps they had in the studio for that album, and it just ended up in a dense aggressive tone that didn't need that much of a variety of amps to achieve, but I guess the material required it though.
I love st anger tones . Only reason I listen lol fr

There are some very underated tones on Load / Reload, and the guitar sounds on Garage Inc.are fantastic. I feel like the addition of the Wizard heads really added some great textures to Hetfield's rhythm sound. His Mesa amps seem essential to his sound, but I would really like to hear him with a mix between the Diezel VH4 and his Wizard MC. I think they may really compliment each other. Just some thoughts.
Loved garage inc

"LOAD' gives me PTSD. My Metallica fan brain went into panic wirh the hair metal innuendo album name, haircuts, cigars, less gainy amp sound, etc. Just shocked my system. With all of that said, one of the things I love about that band is that good or bad, they change. I dig Reload and I've come to appreciate Load as well. I remember the chunk on 2x4 and really liked it.
I had a similar experience with Load and Reload. But I still listen to those records today from time to time. As someone remarked earlier in this thread, thew were written and at least partially recorded at the same time. There is definitely some filler in those two. The way I see it. There is probably one solid record between the two. The best 10 songs from each would have been the optimal choice in my opinion.

”The Outlaw Torn” is worth the price of admission alone, even back in ‘96 when cd’s cost $13-$15. Easily my favorite Metallica song and Kirk solo, which is kind of funny because, collectively, I dig their pre-1990 output more. “Outlaw” just hits on a different level for me and Kirk’s solo, while not full of technical shit, has this off-the-rails element to it that I love.

Also not sure how someone can hear “Enter Sandman” and “Nothing Else Matters” then claim they ‘sold out’ on Load. :dunno:

Back