What's a great Fluke Multimeter model for working on amps?

harddriver

My old multimeters are getting long in the tooth. I'm thinking a nice Fluke is in order with the capability of testing capacitance like my old Craftsman.

Something small to medium sized...............

I'm all ears...............................:2thumbsup:

I use 87 series. Chose it for the higher voltage handling (1k), and price & availability at the time. A 179 would also suffice if you're going to need something above 600V.

I have an older thread on there asking a similar question if your looking for more answers.
I recently got a fluke 117, which is similar to the 115 I think. Thus far I wished it was better with lower cap values. It really doesn't like stuff in the pf range. Also wish it had a lower current testing circuit. Pretty accurate in all regards though, and good for household use.

Ordering a brymen soon though to compare though. As they look to me more built with more focus on hobbyist electronics rather than industrial or residential construction. And for the most part cheaper.

I have an older thread on there asking a similar question if your looking for more answers.
I recently got a fluke 117, which is similar to the 115 I think. Thus far I wished it was better with lower cap values. It really doesn't like stuff in the pf range. Also wish it had a lower current testing circuit. Pretty accurate in all regards though, and good for household use.

Ordering a brymen soon though to compare though. As they look to me more built with more focus on hobbyist electronics rather than industrial or residential construction. And for the most part cheaper.

Fluke Multimeter Comparison Guide​

https://www.tequipment.net/fluke/fl...QekvJ91lvV2Xr6wg3ptdaQv_CEnqz1fIaAl-sEALw_wcB

I use 87 series. Chose it for the higher voltage handling (1k), and price & availability at the time. A 179 would also suffice if you're going to need something above 600V.
I had to bias my Musicman HD130 recently and it had 712 DCV on the plates which maxxed out my little multimeters. Only my old big Craftsman could read above 600 DCV.

I'll look into the 87 series as my Craftsman is long in the tooth as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys I appreciate it, I may opt for the 115 and 117 and then pick up an 87 due to more capacitance and DCV range!:2thumbsup: Always good to hear what people are using and liking rather than me throwing a dart at the dartboard hoping I'll like it!

I had to bias my Musicman HD130 recently and it had 712 DCV on the plates which maxxed out my little multimeters. Only my old big Craftsman could read above 600 DCV.

I'll look into the 87 series as my Craftsman is long in the tooth as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys I appreciate it, I may opt for the 115 and 117 and then pick up an 87 due to more capacitance and DCV range!:2thumbsup: Always good to hear what people are using and liking rather than me throwing a dart at the dartboard hoping I'll like it!

Check out the chart PLX linked. As I said, the 179 may also be an option. IIRC, it's rated to handle max voltage (AC or DC) of 1k.

I use this:

1683946697497.jpeg

The 179's have my attention now! Are Fluke's relatively safe to buy used off of Ebay or do you guys recommend buying new! I don't want to get one that has issues. I have found a couple of clean ones reasonably priced from new.

The 179's have my attention now! Are Fluke's relatively safe to buy used off of Ebay or do you guys recommend buying new! I don't want to get one that has issues. I have found a couple of clean ones reasonably priced from new.
Like anything, there is a risk, but you are likely to be okay. I believe you can get them recalibrated as well… if needed.

There's no reason to get a Fluke if your employer doesn't require it. You can get more for your money. There is nothing more accurate or safe about Fluke's meters.

There's no reason to get a Fluke if your employer doesn't require it. You can get more for your money. There is nothing more accurate or safe about Fluke's meters.
The Fluke hype everyone thinks about ended years ago as fluke was sold off and is now owned by an entirely different company. They jacked prices for the name because they have known they can get away with it. They’ve done nothing innovative in the last 20 years.

Unless you’re mandated for insurance reasons or safety in hazardous work environments where meters are hermetically sealed, save your money and get something else. The meter doesn’t make you any worse or better at troubleshooting as long as you’re not investing in garbage.

At minimum these days always make sure you’re buying a true RMS meter.

Thanks for all the suggestions and dialogue..........it is appreciated!

Where are the Brymen's made? USA?

Looks like Taiwan? I still like the fact that the Fluke is USA made. I found a nice 87V Fluke somewhat nearby for a decent price but sometimes on things like this new is the way to go that way you know it wasn't zapped by the previous owner......:yes::dunno:

Thanks for all the suggestions and dialogue..........it is appreciated!

Where are the Brymen's made? USA?

Looks like Taiwan? I still like the fact that the Fluke is USA made. I found a nice 87V Fluke somewhat nearby for a decent price but sometimes on things like this new is the way to go that way you know it wasn't zapped by the previous owner......:yes::dunno:
The Fluke multimeters you get nowadays are manufactured in the USA, the UK, Asia, and The Netherlands.

They were bought by Danaher Corp in '98

Back