Diezel V30 FL 4x12 dark sounding

pipboy90

I bought a mint 4x12 frontloaded V30 Diezel cab from a friend a few months ago. It's a surprisingly dark sounding cab at the volumes I'm playing at (apartment volumes, maybe 85-90db max). It's on casters and I'm sitting 5-6 ft away. Every amp I've used with it (VH4, Mesa Mark VII, JCM 800, Suhr SL68) sounds darker vs the 2x12 Mojotone vertical slanted cab next to it with G12-T75s in it.

Is this just a case of me not pushing the V30s with enough volume/wattage to get them to open up? I've always heard this is a bright cab and I like all of the IRs I've played of it.

I might have to drag it to my rehearsal place to see what it sounds like at gig volume. I'm not in love with it at the moment. Any ideas?

It is pretty bright compared to other V30 loaded 4x12. However a 2x12 would generally be brighter, a slanted 2x12 with G12-T75 would be incredibly brighter.

Just a random video where you can hear a 4x12 V30 and a 4x12 G12T75 on a slanted cab:

The orange in the clip is a darker cab then the marshall, but speaker and slanted here makes a huge difference.

Mines really bright too . I turn my highs up more though so who knows . But ya it’s very bright . Imo. It was dark at first but broke in. My fav cab other than dimes warhead cab

I think I just wasn't playing loud enough or my ears were burnt out from yesterday. I played the Diezel cab again today with a little higher volume and higher Treble/Presence settings and it sounds good.

I just tried the vertical 2x12 again with the G12-T75s. Wow, they can be really bright. I don't think I like those speakers so much pointing at my face. Any good speaker suggestions for a 2x12?

I think I just wasn't playing loud enough or my ears were burnt out from yesterday. I played the Diezel cab again today with a little higher volume and higher Treble/Presence settings and it sounds good.

I just tried the vertical 2x12 again with the G12-T75s. Wow, they can be really bright. I don't think I like those speakers so much pointing at my face. Any good speaker suggestions for a 2x12?
Creambacks!

Do you think I should go for Neo Creams and make the cab lightweight and easy to carry or the H magnet Creams? I have a pair of Neos in my Fender Twin and they sound amazing with that amp.

Mine is super bright once broke in . My brightest . How long you have it . For a month I was disappointed and now it sticks with my Hermansons

I’ve had it about a month. I hear what you mean about it being bright. It seemed bright (beyond what I expected) when I first got it, but I tend to hear higher frequencies distinctly anyway so I paid no mind to it. I’ve been meaning to compare it with with my Man O War (that it replaced) but honestly that’s a lot of work for me and I’m not a childless man with that sort of time. 5 interruptions just installing the speaker lol.

Are we talking about a North American produced Diezel 4x12 FL cab here? If I remember correctly the European version is not made by the same producer, hence might be a somewhat of an apples vs oranges thing here..

Are we talking about a North American produced Diezel 4x12 FL cab here? If I remember correctly the European version is not made by the same producer, hence might be a somewhat of an apples vs oranges thing here..
It was made in the USA. I don’t know when it was made though.

Don't know if production in the US has changed over the years but my European (German) made FL 4x12 cab is very direct and punchy sounding.

What I meant is that my European FL cab is not dark sounding at all. It is perfect with my Herbert and VH4. I think using the wrong cab could very be the reason some people complain about Diezels not cutting through in a mix/full band setting.

In retrospect, I don’t think there was anything wrong with the cab. I just couldn’t give it the SPLs it needed to “wake up” so to speak. I’m in a 1 bedroom apartment at the moment. If I had a friend’s house or rehearsal space that owned, I could crank it up more and hear it in action. I don’t think it would sound dark at that point.

How does the Diezel 2x12 FL compare?

Back