Boosts .... Overdrives ..... Distortions .... What next ???

They were built around 2004ish by Hermida.

There was only a handful of double Moferatus built.

The Zendrive is a great pedal, and mine is one of the 1st batch of 20 Hermida built.
the Mosferatu is interesting ... I was just checking out a schematic for a 3 knob ... so I'm assuming the double ... is exactly what it is ... two of them stacked .... it uses a combo of Mosfet transistors ( hence the name ) and germanium diodes for clipping ....

the Mosferatu is interesting ... I was just checking out a schematic for a 3 knob ... so I'm assuming the double ... is exactly what it is ... two of them stacked .... it uses a combo of Mosfet transistors ( hence the name ) and germanium diodes for clipping ....
Hey griff, check out this pedal shootout

It features the Landgraff DO, Mosferatu, and Tim pedals

I don't know if you can have a patent on diodes clipping config .... but who knows ...
yes .... the SD-1 is Asymmetrical ... while the TS is Symmetrical ....
I'm in the process of designing some of my own SD-1 boards ... a lot of the guys in here want that option on a switch ... and different diode types ...
so I'm working that into the design
Hmmmmm..,
-you & I should combo up for a session of full-on
brainstewing.
3-5 minutes MAX and the boat leaves the dock.
-it didn’t have to stop..it just kept on goin’..
I toy around with machines and their components.
My mission is to constantly push what’s wrong
while never barrowing from what’s right.
-dial down the hot mess.

A new hearing experience of tight & juicy.
Find the dimension in the feel.
But start with the superunknown (SERIOUSLY)
Drain all the super outta’ the superunknown
until it’s ‘known’ right under your finger tips.
If we can think it, we’ve already created the process…
-so let’s find it!!💯

I like the Maxon OD808 the most out of all the OD's I've owned. I've owned a lot too. It cuts the low end just the right amount (not too much like the sd-1), adds some bite and saturation and doesn't color your tone too much. That's when set like a boost, level up, drive down.

Your take on a rat ckt with all the fixins. You mentioned you never did one if I recall correctly. Is sourcing the chip for that an issue?

I like the Maxon OD808 the most out of all the OD's I've owned. I've owned a lot too. It cuts the low end just the right amount (not too much like the sd-1), adds some bite and saturation and doesn't color your tone too much. That's when set like a boost, level up, drive down.
I think a TS clone that can go between TS808, TS9, and OD808 would be fun.

I liked my TS808 better than the old OD808 I owned, but I can definitely see a use to have both sounds available depending on what amp you want to match it to, or even what mood you're in.

Your take on a rat ckt with all the fixins. You mentioned you never did one if I recall correctly. Is sourcing the chip for that an issue?
1685618820020.png

I've considered doing a Zen drive ... never heard of the Mosferatu .....
The Mos was first and had more gain than the Zen. I got the single 3 knob mosferatu first, then later the zendrive and 4knob mosferatu. I sold the 3 knob mos, but I like the mosferatus better than the zen.

I keep buying more boosts and the MXR M77 still stays the favorite. Having an SD1 with a low end trim is so good in so many contexts

OCD = Mud city in my experience.

I'd give the MXR Zakk Wylde a whirl, or the Custom Badass OD.

Right now, I'm boosting my Helios with a Fortin Hexdrive, but the SD-1 works well too.

Have to agree. Never understood the love for that pedal.
I tried one briefly way back when the hype was on them ..... it didn't sound all that great into a DSL .... I figured might have been different in a 2204 ..
there's more interesting circuits out there that use mosfets to clip .

Seems like 90% of pedals are geared toward guys with deluxe reverbs and teles. Most don’t seem optimized for hitting a very gained up Marshall…but when it works it’s glorious.

OCD = Mud city in my experience.

I'd give the MXR Zakk Wylde a whirl, or the Custom Badass OD.

Right now, I'm boosting my Helios with a Fortin Hexdrive, but the SD-1 works well too.
AFAIK, the Wylde is an almost straight-up SD-1 clone. And griff already has an SD-1 clone.

I don't have an SD-1 at hand right now (I'm waiting for a good deal) to A/B, but I remember them being pretty interchangeable. I remember people saying the Wylde has more gain, more low-end, and a bunch of stuff. I didn't find that to be the case. Pretty much same levels of gain. It's just the Wylde is way noisier and the mids are voiced slightly different.

And the "secret switch" that it has inside to turn it into a GT-OD only switches a resistor. Not sure if on-off or it switches it to a different value. But it's only a resistor.

Last edited:
I tried one briefly way back when the hype was on them ..... it didn't sound all that great into a DSL .... I figured might have been different in a 2204 ..
there's more interesting circuits out there that use mosfets to clip .
My first one, I paid $50 for and immediately put it into a DSL40, lol.

difference between the fortin Grind and the 33 is like that .... two different pedals .... one resistor value change .... so I built one and put the change on a switch .... and called it the grind/33 ... lol

Back