Sweetwater - going downhill fast

billsbigego

I swear it's because I return 75% of stuff I buy on there. They send me demos now, when I purchased new. Happened the last 3 orders. They have a "no hassle" return policy and I'm not afraid to use it. I've spent over 20k there in the past 2 years.

Same story every time now. "Must have been a mixup at the warehouse." They said that to me the past 3 orders.

But I guess they are still better than MF and the rest of them. Last time I called MF and asked a technical question, the guy had no idea what I was talking about. My SW sales guy doesn't know everything, but when I ask a specific question (and it's usually a deep dive sort of question) they get me an answer.

75% return rate? I'd send you demo stuff too, lol.
i knew a few guys who were like this, they would basically buy a complete rig, use it for a gig or two then just send everything back cause it was "within the return period", i always thought it was kinda fucked but if sweetwater is gonna have that policy i guess thats what happens :dunno:
I think he is saying he has to return 75% because they mess up.. not because he is just returning it for no reason.

I exchanged a brand new 5150 iiiS el34 unopened from the original box way past the return policy for a ton of recording gear. They’ve been good to me.

Guitar center has been great to me too money wise but they package your gear like it’s garbage day by the street. Sometimes they wheel and deal and other times they don’t.

Sweetwater isn't perfect but they're worlds better than GC, and I like my Sales Engineer. He's always done right by me and kept me up to date on up-and-coming stuff that hasn't been released yet, including taking preorders. He is good communicating through text, too, which I prefer.

Guitar Center has been shitty for a long time but they really have been taking the cake lately. I guess I spent enough there to qualify for a "Gear Advisor" who only calls me when I leave things in my cart but is somehow not empowered to make deals. I returned his voicemail the other day because I had left a used amp in my cart and didn't pull the trigger while the 10% off used gear sale was going on. I asked him if I could get GC to honor that 10% and that I would buy immediately. In classic GC fashion, he replied, "Yeahhhhh sorry bro but those sales are only on those days, you'll have to pay the full price now, so are you ready to pay?" :loco: Needless to say, I didn't buy.

This is what buying online has become. You buy NEW and get sent something that may have been returned numerous times. They all do it.
Yeah just like guitar center. New guitar on wall, dented up with boogers all over it.
"Can I have a new one in the box?"
"Sir this is new."

So you buy it, then 10 minutes later they go out back and put a new one on the wall.
My sales guy is good too. Gives me free overnight all the time. I bought a 2k drum machine, it showed up in a box full of shirts. They overnighted me another one. But lately, the demo thing has got out of hand.

Yes, I return 75% of the stuff I buy. But this is mostly lower end < $1000 items. They have a return policy and I use it. The issue is this. I can't go to a store and test stuff out. There aren't any stores, and the stuff I buy, stores could not afford to keep in stock anyhow as I buy a lot of expensive stuff. Brick and mortar stores cater to noobs primarily, they have nothing I want.

But I do think they pawn off demos as new. I can tell just how the power supply is wrapped up with a twisty tie. I got a machine the other day, no manual, no SD card. If I'm buying new, I want new.

Reactions: rsm
I really don’t trust the shipping companies to order anything of value or scarcity. I had a tiresome go around with the local USPS office when they fucked something up on a small dollar value item. Would rather deal in person. But…

I went into a local guitar Center last weekend with $2000 cash in my pocket. They had a decent amp selection, i havent gear. shopped in a while, sold off my gear when i relocated, and I was wanting/ready to buy an amp. There weren’t too many people in the store, and the folks that were working there were too busy playing on their phones and talking amongst themselves. I stood alone at the counter for a bit and nobody ever came forward. Was seriously going to tell the guy “I am interested in X, but feel free to guide me to something else”. Probably could have walked out with something without paying and nobody would have cared or noticed.

Hello mom and pops

it's pretty rare that I buy anything from somewhere besides American Musical Supply. They are always nice and they never call me. Ever. Their selection is slightly less than Sweetwater though, so I do see SW as a necessary evil sometimes.

i knew a few guys who were like this, they would basically buy a complete rig, use it for a gig or two then just send everything back cause it was "within the return period", i always thought it was kinda fucked but if sweetwater is gonna have that policy i guess thats what happens :dunno:
I’m with you brother! No sympathy here.

it's pretty rare that I buy anything from somewhere besides American Musical Supply. They are always nice and they never call me. Ever. Their selection is slightly less than Sweetwater though, so I do see SW as a necessary evil sometimes.
I like them to. They have a warehouse in NJ so I get stuff next day.

75% return rate? I'd send you demo stuff too, lol.
I think he is saying he has to return 75% because they mess up.. not because he is just returning it for no reason.
My bad fellas... I was wrong :cool:

I swear it's because I return 75% of stuff I buy on there. They send me demos now, when I purchased new. Happened the last 3 orders. They have a "no hassle" return policy and I'm not afraid to use it. I've spent over 20k there in the past 2 years.

Same story every time now. "Must have been a mixup at the warehouse." They said that to me the past 3 orders.

But I guess they are still better than MF and the rest of them. Last time I called MF and asked a technical question, the guy had no idea what I was talking about. My SW sales guy doesn't know everything, but when I ask a specific question (and it's usually a deep dive sort of question) they get me an answer.
75% Return Rate. I'd tell ya to fuck off.

Back