Reverb sold prices

Discogs has this down right. You can see the exact variant’s sold history over the course of several years. You can see the outliers on a chart and the actual value of whatever you’re shopping.

Reverb have a transaction chart / graph (mentioned earlier in this thread) that is similar to what you're describing. This too shows the original asking price as far as I can tell though.

The higher the sale price, the more commission Reverb gets. Simple as that. Because of this, Reverb has every incentive in the world to make everyone think prices for everything are astronomical even when real pricing is not nearly as high, and they have lied, cheated, and stolen their way into pushing that message at every opportunity.

They are scum.

Last edited:
None of this matters at all anyways, because those sold prices do not include shipping, and we all know that shipping amounts are used as a way to counter a low price that gets your item to the top of the page.

So sellers often list at an ok price to get their item up top, and then make the shipping double or triple what it should be.
If two sellers both sell an item for $100 it will list them as both sold for $100, despite the fact that one of the sellers was free shipping and the other charged $20.

The higher the sale price, the more commission Reverb gets.
Yeah this is precisely my thinking on why this policy exists, soaring prices are awesome as far as they're concerned. At least with eBay, back in the day anyway, the sold price was accurate.

yeah but you have Jacinda Ardern.......
She's close enough. They can keep her, you can keep Alex.

Then again, we've had 6 prime ministers since 2010 so I probably shouldn't be throwing any stones...

Reverb have a transaction chart / graph (mentioned earlier in this thread) that is similar to what you're describing. This too shows the original asking price as far as I can tell though.

Are you referring to the Transaction History chart? I had to go and find this today - twas the first time I'm seeing and hearing of this. Do we know if these are the actual sold prices? Or just what Reverb lists as the sold prices?

Are you referring to the Transaction History chart? I had to go and find this today - twas the first time I'm seeing and hearing of this. Do we know if these are the actual sold prices? Or just what Reverb lists as the sold prices?

Yeah that's the one. Hard to say if they all reflect actual sold price, but when I found my own purchases on the chart is was the original asking price.

Was just looking at transaction history and my last sale was correct on price.
Ok so this is interesting, maybe there's different rules or categories - it certainly seems inconsistent.

So to confirm, you listed an item, then took an offer, and the sold price reflects the offer on that chart? What if you just find the original item listing when searching for sold items?

Ok so this is interesting, maybe there's different rules or categories - it certainly seems inconsistent.

So to confirm, you listed an item, then took an offer, and the sold price reflects the offer on that chart? What if you just find the original item listing when searching for sold items?

Correct. My listing was for 100 bucks more than it sold for. Did not include shipping in the price sold either.

Correct. My listing was for 100 bucks more than it sold for. Did not include shipping in the price sold either.
Wow ok, weird that it's inconsistent. I'm not the only one to notice this, someone pointed it out to me a few years back.

Why type of item? I'm wondering if it depends on new vs used, what category, US or international sales etc. Strange stuff. Or maybe they just changed policies recently, my most recent example was Oct last year - a $1500 power amp I paid significantly less for and sold listing still says $1500.

Wow ok, weird that it's inconsistent. I'm not the only one to notice this, someone pointed it out to me a few years back.

Why type of item? I'm wondering if it depends on new vs used, what category, US or international sales etc. Strange stuff. Or maybe they just changed policies recently, my most recent example was Oct last year - a $1500 power amp I paid significantly less for and sold listing still says $1500.
I think they leave the listed price still on there and the sold price a separate page.

Here

IMG_6262.png

The listing still shows what I listed it as.
Ok thanks, and therein lies the problem. It's ok if the two prices are close, but this trend of people listing their gear for ambitiously high prices and then taking a much lower offer really messes with the perceived value of a particular item.

Actually man can you please check the sold prices on those and confirm they still indicate the original asking price? I've noticed it on all my purchases, but some random dude on FB (who claims to have worked at Reverb) says it's not the case, or not always the case. Surely he can be trusted, I mean he even said he's totally trustworthy.
Just checked and the listings aren't showing in sold anymore. Maybe I bought them too long ago now.

What is weird though is when i check my messages.. the USD is translated to the current exchange rate, not the actual rate from when I bought the item

Ok another update. Some guys on a FB group (the oracle of truth) claim the pricing differential issue was fixed a while back. Good, or so I thought.

I recently spotted a quartet of vintage Celestions I couldn't resist. I don't bother with offers if the price if fair - in this case it was on the high side. Made an offer, was accepted, deal done, all good.

The sold listing still shows the original asking price. Can anyone confirm if you see the same thing on a recent purchase or sale? I wonder if it's consistent across all variables like category, new/used, price range, US or international etc.

Back