Tone Reminder 2:No Rest for the Wicked

My recollection is that the album is mostly a crazy rack setup which caused him problems live later on. He streamlined it with the 800 and a bunch of pedals on the next album. For the record I like the tone on both the first and second albums. Zakk could rip back in the day. He did so tastefully.

1705726478719.png

1705726594780.png

Apparently these guys before starting to have issues on tour with his rack stuff. But the Aphex Exciter are mentioned here... so find one of those cheap.

His tone is good, but that album mix sucks ass.
It's my favorite ZW album for sure. I still have and play it on cassette too, and the cassette sounds better, fuller, thicker ect..
If you really want to hear how good his tone is just listen to Devil's Daughter.

I was listening to a few tunes of No Rest last night and I actually hear very inconsistent mixes across the songs. Might be a few diff setups at play song to song. Mix isn't the best on some tunes i agree with that.

I was listening to a few tunes of No Rest last night and I actually hear very inconsistent mixes across the songs. Might be a few diff setups at play song to song. Mix isn't the best on some tunes i agree with that.
I still have read Keith Olsen saying they used his 800 combo a lot . And mixed with the Lee Jackson it seems

When I was in college, Headbangers Ball was big on MTV; Crazy Babies was the hit of the year. Zakk doing jujitsu moves and playing on stage throwing out psycho licks! It was then I knew I fucking SUCKED and should stay in school. Loved early Zakk. I just bet the hoochies loved him.

That album is a mix of both the Lee jackson 1000 and a jcm800 combo ran through a Marshall cab with G1275s. All effects on the JCM800 tracks were added post recording.

Zakk was pissed at the shit mixes for the Lee jackson songs and fired that mixer/producer. That’s when he hired Wagner.

Some of the album was re-recorded but both mixes and rigs are on the final record. You can clearly pick out the jcm800 tracks.

Back