Which Rectifier is right for me? If any?

Single Rectifiers, the 50 watt one (or the rectoverb) are probably the least expensive on the used market and would give you an idea on the higher gain channel if recto is for you. I’m also attuned to Marshall DNA as my sound but I did get a Tremoverb to have a recto for fun. They’re big and fat and fun in a room but can be a bear to record vs. Marshall type circuits. I got a Tremoverb by sheer happenstance as a GC (pre Covid) had one when I was in and the price was good, it sounded good, so I got it. Wasn’t on a mission to get that specifically. Tried a new multi watt very recently and it’s Orange vintage gain sound was a shadow of what my Tremoverb sounds like. Didn’t like it all but the clean channel sounded very good and got some good medium gain rock tones with the gain up. But no one usually buys a recto for those tones.

Are you in the U.S? You should be able to find one to try, whether it’s used or new.
The orange channel of the 2 channel rectos is the only sound, the 3 channels are not capable of to reproduce. Many people love or even prefer that tone to the red channel. But it`s not the non-NFB tone, that made the Rectos famous.

I think the multi-watt will serve you best. They're actually pretty flexible amps compared to the old Rev G's. They have a ton of options and the channels are more refined and useable. They're also inexpensive compared to vintage Rectifiers.

I also agree that you should consider a JP-2C, though. It took me five Rectos to figure out that I'm just not a Recto guy, but I *am* a Boogie guy! I just prefer the Mark series. I have a IIC+ DRGX and a JP-2C. Honestly, the JP-2C is one of the best amps out there right now. It sounds like a slightly more modern IIC+ with features you always wanted but couldn't have (e.g., 2 GEQ's, Shred Mode, separate reverb levels for each channel, MIDI, Direct Out, etc). Plus it's all easily footswitchable. Also, if you put it in 60w mode and don't change the impedance, it sounds and feels a lot like a hot-rodded Marshall. And they're relatively cheap right now -- you can pick them up for $2000-2300.

After playing most of the Revisions, F/C/G, duals and Triples my recommendation would be a Triple G with a C mod. A C will be the closest to a modded Marshall, truly a killer amp and my fav over even all the C+ I had...I'm a Marshall guy like you....but a C dual will run you 6-7k.

A G triple will be under 2K, prob 1500 or so and the C mod Mike B does is like 300$ or less. Or, you can do most of it yourself as it's mapped out on the Boogie forum. The Triples are much tighter than the G duals, and less mid bloat as well. F or earlier are better but more $$.

If not that route, a Triple Multi Watt would be my second choice. Voiced like an F, and again is a tighter amp than the MW duals.

The rest of the line, T Verbs, RK, etc are cool but are farther yet than any modded Marshall type being darker than the dual/Triples. And, other than an early Tverb the rest are not as rich/3d sounding as the basic dual/triples. Tverbs are great but again, noticeably darker than a MW, G trip/dual.

After playing most of the Revisions, F/C/G, duals and Triples my recommendation would be a Triple G with a C mod. A C will be the closest to a modded Marshall, truly a killer amp and my fav over even all the C+ I had...I'm a Marshall guy like you....but a C dual will run you 6-7k.

A G triple will be under 2K, prob 1500 or so and the C mod Mike B does is like 300$ or less. Or, you can do most of it yourself as it's mapped out on the Boogie forum. The Triples are much tighter than the G duals, and less mid bloat as well. F or earlier are better but more $$.

If not that route, a Triple Multi Watt would be my second choice. Voiced like an F, and again is a tighter amp than the MW duals.

The rest of the line, T Verbs, RK, etc are cool but are farther yet than any modded Marshall type being darker than the dual/Triples. And, other than an early Tverb the rest are not as rich/3d sounding as the basic dual/triples. Tverbs are great but again, noticeably darker than a MW, G trip/dual.
Thanks. Great rundown!

The Rev C is no doubt the best sounding one IME having played 4 different C’s now and imho they get worse (but still very good) with each progressive revision (Rev E is one I haven’t tried though), so it’s just a balance of cost/actually finding one vs later versions for a lot less money and easier to find

The recent made versions are more practical with all their features and modes and you do seem to want to cover a good amount of territory, but if you just want the best, quintessential recto flavor (that is unique to only Recto’s) I’d say don’t mess around and just get the earliest revision you can afford and find. Either you like it or you don’t. It’s a distinct flavor

If you get a recent made recto, what you’re getting imho is a more versatile/practical recto that is more neutered/slightly processed sounding, what I refer to as the “from concentrate oj” version of that flavor vs a Rev C being “fresh squeezed”, Rev G maybe Tropicana lol. They all have that flavor, but it can be like how you never thought you liked a certain fruit until trying a good enough example of one

Last edited:
Another Multi-watt vote; 3 channels, all very usable and they will do the big recto thing while also being tighter and a bit brighter than a Rev G. Only way I am paying current prices on a Rev G is if it is C modded like Racer suggested.

Uber vs Recto. Both fall in to the amp category that does the huge, "wall of sound" thing. Comparing, we will say my old Rev Blue Uber, to the Rev G's and 3 channel rectos, they are tighter and can get a more aggressive midrange due to the way the presence interacts with the mid control on those amps. Both have massive low end. You would likely boost either one for doing thrash or fast metal.

The new Uber Ultra (which I will finally get to play mine tomorrow!) Is a different beast that can do the huge old Uber thing....or the very modern, filtered, super tight thing.

Thanks for all the great replies. For clarifications sake.. If I get a Recto, it does not have to cover all the territory I mentioned in reference to my cover band situation. Nor does it have to be familiar or Marshall esque.. I am more looking for a Recto that does what they do best. I doubt I am going to stray from the BE Deluxe for band situations.... But I usually use two amps, so maybe blend a Recto in instead of the JEL. but again, it does not have to cover all those bases... I listed what bands we cover simply as a point of reference.

So if I want a recto for rectos sake..... this is where I leaning so far based on all the much appreciated input.

Sounds like Rev C through F are the kings.. but don't want to pay huge money. so that's out
Dual G. sounds like a good possibility
Multi Watt. lots of love for that it seems
Tremoverb ??

Thanks for all the great replies. For clarifications sake.. If I get a Recto, it does not have to cover all the territory I mentioned in reference to my cover band situation. Nor does it have to be familiar or Marshall esque.. I am more looking for a Recto that does what they do best. I doubt I am going to stray from the BE Deluxe for band situations.... But I usually use two amps, so maybe blend a Recto in instead of the JEL. but again, it does not have to cover all those bases... I listed what bands we cover simply as a point of reference.

So if I want a recto for rectos sake..... this is where I leaning so far based on all the much appreciated input.

Sounds like Rev C through F are the kings.. but don't want to pay huge money. so that's out
Tremoverb ??
Rev G's are probably the next best choice after C through F, especially if you can find a Rev G Triple, but F's can be found sometimes in the low $3000's. Tremoverb's I believe are just a Rev G with tremolo and reverb, so another solid choice if you don't wanna pay the price for earlier recto's

Tremoverb ??
so it boils down to either a RevG/Tremoverb or MW.
If you want the RevG orange channel tone, get the RevG. If you can live without it, get the MW. Keep in mind, you can not have a clean channel and orange channel on the RevG switchable by a FS and they share the same EQ.

I'm pretty new to the Recto club. Actually, I'm new period. :D Therefore, I can't really help you per say, but I now have a Rev G Dual and a Single Rectoverb.

Single = $490 used
Dual = $1,400 used

They are so different yet so similar it is hard to explain. The Rectoverb has a great clean channel that can also get some decent low gain tones, especially in 'Pushed' mode. The high gain channel has 'Raw', 'Vintage' and 'Modern'. I like how all of these controls are on the front. Dare I say my Rectoverb is tighter than my Dual. I do run it with EL34s and I've done quite a bit of tube swapping with it.

The Dual is a beast. It's just a beast is all I can say.

YOd0Avl.jpg

Edit: A lot of the guys posting in this thread help me in my decision making as well. :yes:

Last edited:
I'm pretty new to the Recto club. Actually, I'm new period. :D Therefore, I can't really help you per say, but I now have a Rev G Dual and a Single Rectoverb.

Single = $490 used
Dual = $1,400 used

They are so different yet so similar it is hard to explain. The Rectoverb has a great clean channel that can also get some decent low gain tones, especially in 'Pushed' mode. The high gain channel has 'Raw', 'Vintage' and 'Modern'. I like how all of these controls are on the front. Dare I say my Rectoverb is tighter than my Dual. I do run it with EL34s and I've done quite a bit of tube swapping with it.

The Dual is a beast. It's just a beast is all I can say.

Edit: A lot of the guys posting in this thread help me in my decision making as well. :yes:
$490 for a Single is a hell of a deal these days. I paid more in 2007! The consensus certainly is that Singles are tighter than Duals.

I’ll go slightly against the grain here and just say that the standard old 3ch recto is no slouch especially cost considered. I picked mine up locally during Covid for under $900 with foot switch, and I still see them around 1000-1100 sometimes if you’re willing to wait for a deal.

Yes, the Rev G sounds better to me, but since you mentioned cover band, it’s hard not to recommend the 3ch just for versatility’s sake. Some of the best Rev G tones require sacrificing your clean channel which may not be possible for you.

Is the MW better than the previous 3ch? Sort of, it’s a little more polished, but it doesn’t feel as raw to me and it cost me nearly double what the regular 3ch was. Hard to justify it at that cost I guess, but it’s true it seems to recapture a little more of the Rev F magic. I’ve also had a Roadster and spent a good bit of time with a Road King II which I returned - I really didn’t like either of them, but it’s because I already had the Rev G at that point. I do know the roadster/king were used on some of the later foo fighters stuff, but I also wouldn’t necessarily categorize them in the same group of “recto sounds” as say, Creed or Limp Bizkit who sound exactly like a stock Rev G.

As for Uber vs Recto, I only have experience with the Rev blue Uber. It’s basically a slightly revoiced, but absolutely killer, 2ch recto orange channel. Definitely kicks ass, but expensive and missing some features you might like from a live amp - ex no solo boost, and only clean + saturated channels and not much in between unless you’re going to tweak your amp settings between songs. Maybe something the new Uber Ultra might fix that but now we’re talking $4k amps when I’m trying to recommend something under $1k haha.

Some of the comments seem to be steering you towards more Marshall-type iterations or mods. Maybe I misread your post but if you are keeping the Friedman, I would think you’d want something different on purpose. I love my Marshalls too but I get out my rectos specifically for that recto sound, I don’t get out a recto to dial it close to my Marshall. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Rev F, finally repaired, but I have two Rev G’s that come out when I’m feeling that 90s punk/grunge itch.

My upgrade path essentially went 3ch -> Rev G and blew up from there, now I have 5 of them of different versions. I still have my original 3ch and if you happen to find one cheap I wouldn’t ignore it, that’s all. But with all that said I’d buy a Rev G before anything else, it is just THE recto sound. Boost orange if you want it tighter, and remember on the red channel the presence of both channels affects the tone, since red channel’s presence control is part of the preamp tone stack (so the orange presence control is still active in the power amp).

Back