28 states

I told my buddy about that Sticatto and he went up and got it! He's already got a dot on it!View attachment 296333
Rat bastard! :LOL: :LOL:
I guess at least I'll get to run it and drool all over it when he's not running it!
Staccato is awesome. I have a bunch of friends who bought the Prodigy ( SA) which is a lot cheaper than the Staccato, but you know, the Staccato is a much nicer gun. The Prodigy will run Staccato mags. I'm not really a fan of 9mm "1911"s. Not that there's anything inherently wrong with them, I'm just old school and I like my 1911s to be .45 ACP or in very rare cases .38 Super. :)

I shot pistols quite a bit before a buddy showed me I was gripping the dam things wrong and it was affecting everything I was trying to do. Once I trained with proper grip for a bit everything came together, shot placement was much improved, but it was tough to break the bad habits I had been using. Been running that grip for several years now so its second nature, but I had no idea it would make that much difference. Maybe take a look??
Just throwing that out there, if you are already using that method, the only thing that might snag on the slide would be the tip of your support hand thumb, and it would rarely happen if you train with it. Also, it works on any semi auto with a slide, so it dosent matter which one you are using.
Not trying to be a know it all, it sure made a huge difference for me.
I'll try to find a vid on it, I'm sure there's one out there.
My revelations came years after I was already a "Gun guy" as well. Well, pretty much when I took my first decent class. Nothing like training with pros to make you realize that all these years you didn't know shit. Stance, Grip, sight picture, sear engagement sight picture again, press, follow through and don't forget to breathe. All sounds pedantic but it's all important and these days it's muscle memory. When I draw my shit is automatically lined up. When I started using dots there was no learning curve. I never had to "Find the dot", it was right there. Trigger control is the real key. Most people shoot low and left when they start because they're jerking or slapping the trigger. When you start visualizing a press instead of a pull it comes together. Then it's just massive repetition until it becomes muscle memory. The other big eye opener for me was something I never considered. Eye dominance. I have always been mostly ambidextruous and have always preferred to shoot beaded shotguns from the left side. Now I know why. I am cross eye dominant. So my left eye is dominant but I primarily shoot pistols from the right. I train both ways but right feels right. When I figured out I was cross dominant I got all kinds of advice about switching to left and blah, blah. It's really not that difficult to mitigate cross eye dominance. First, you should be shooting with both eyes open whether you are cross eye dominant or not, but once you realize why you're shooting 2'' off center all the time, it's just a matter of adjusting your draw so that the gun comes up where your left eye is lined up with the sights. Easy peasy. Of course optics make that a non issue, but I think everyone should master irons before moving to dots.

Yeah so does my buddy haha. And he's got more of that @Floyd Eye enthusiasm for guns and ammo than I do. It's more of a practicality/tool thing for me but for him it's his main outlet for spending cash and rec time. I'm in it for the meat more than anything.
It was something I was taught from a young age. I had my first double barrel 12 gauge for quail hunting when I was 10 years old. I still have that shotgun. The old man bought me an 1894 in 30-30 for my 12th birthday and a 1911 for my 15th birthday. Really it was all about hunting and just having fun for the longest time. I'd carry if I felt I needed to whether it was legal or not, but back then we fought for sport. There really was no reason to have a gun on me all the time. A decade of working in north St. Louis and being shot at several times, having my friends murdered on my job and being in countless very dicey situations changed all that. My situational awareness ( more important than any other weapon you can carry) is permanently off the charts. My wife covers for me sometimes. For example when we go out to a restaurant or something she knows I am going to be sitting with my back to a wall, facing the door. No one else needs to know that about me or even think about it, it freaks people out, but it is what it is. No one comes into my "Sphere of influence" without me knowing about it and rapidly accessing the threat level.

Shooting is fun. Transition drills, classes, running until you feel like rubber before engaging moving targets while you yourself are moving. Sometimes to cover and always striving to get off the X. Carjacking scenarios. Mozambique and other fun shit. It is a perishable skill and I intend to be at least sufficient at it as long as my body allows me too. My ammo bill is horrendous, but again my poor wife indulges me. She understands my need to be prepared for shit that is most likely never going to happen. I go through probably 1500 rounds of 12 gauge a month, then there's pistol and carbine ammo in large quantities.

Yep
I can tell you Floyd Eye is a legit shooter based on his post's and Ive never met him... :D
The gun world is not any different from the motocross world, you learn to spot bullshit from a mile away ;)
I don't know man. No more legit than you or anyone else. I ain't no one. There is a group of real crayon eating shit kickers that make me look like a complete dumbass on the regular. I like to think I have an edge over the average hood rat or drugged out shitbag though.

Reactions: rsm
I don't know man. No more legit than you or anyone else. I ain't no one. There is a group of real crayon eating shit kickers that make me look like a complete dumbass on the regular. I like to think I have an edge over the average hood rat or drugged out shitbag though.
:LOL:
Agreed, its always a good day to spend some time with those guys. We do it several times a year outside of normal training routines and are always much better at the end than we were at the beginning of the day. It sux that a lot of it will turn to shit quickly if you don't incorporate it into training regularly, its harder when ammo is as high as it is now...
Its a hell of a lot of fun though!

I shot pistols quite a bit before a buddy showed me I was gripping the dam things wrong and it was affecting everything I was trying to do. Once I trained with proper grip for a bit everything came together, shot placement was much improved, but it was tough to break the bad habits I had been using. Been running that grip for several years now so its second nature, but I had no idea it would make that much difference. Maybe take a look??
Just throwing that out there, if you are already using that method, the only thing that might snag on the slide would be the tip of your support hand thumb, and it would rarely happen if you train with it. Also, it works on any semi auto with a slide, so it dosent matter which one you are using.
Not trying to be a know it all, it sure made a huge difference for me.
I'll try to find a vid on it, I'm sure there's one out there
Yeah, I’m looking at that support thumb now as it slowly heals. All I have to do is forget on the first shot and it’s sliced open.

I’m thinking a .38, but not a snub nose. Not sure the nomenclature but a flip out cylinder for quick reloading.
You mean no loading gate ? Like a Blackhawk ? I'm a fan of Ruger revolvers, but classic Smiths and Colts are extremely cool. Are you looking for something for hunting, carrying or just range fun ? What is your budget for this revolver ? A Ruger GP100 is a fine revolver and not terribly expensive. I have a Colt Diamondback 4" in .38 that is a nice piece, but they run in the 2k range. And while you couldn't give me a Taurus semi auto, their revolvers are good. And affordable. I have a 30 plus year old Taurus model 44 w/ 8.38" barrel. I can hit a pie plate consistently at 100 yards with it. Irons, adjustable rear sight. Killed a lot of deer with that pistol.

:LOL:
Agreed, its always a good day to spend some time with those guys. We do it several times a year outside of normal training routines and are always much better at the end than we were at the beginning of the day. It sux that a lot of it will turn to shit quickly if you don't incorporate it into training regularly, its harder when ammo is as high as it is now...
Its a hell of a lot of fun though!
Ammo isn't too bad right now all things considered. Except 5.56. I wasn't screwing around though after the last panic buying price hike bullshit. I'm uncomfortable even giving a vague estimate of what I'm sitting on. At some point in the not too distant future I will be forced to replenish the 5.56 if I want to stay above my "Comfort level". 9mm, #1, #4 and 00B are all reasonably priced enough where I routinely replace what I shoot. I'm a range junkie. All 4 seasons, all weather conditions. 6-8 days a month minimum. I couldn't keep that pace when I was younger and had a kid at home and other obligations. These days it's work, looking after my elderly parents and the range or training classes.

FWIW, I wouldn't carry a revolver for self-protection.

semi-auto, at least a 9mm that is small enough to conceal, yet large enough to control/aim/fire/use comfortably. IMO

I have compact and subcompact 9mm and 380 for concealed carry;

my 10mm is a full size and not easy to conceal, instead I have a small slingbag with a larger 9mm PCC, no brace, with several standard capacity (25-30 rds) mags, that I practice with, including the belt-loop rapid fire "trick"; easy to conceal too; have similar for other PCC in 9mm and 10mm

Last edited:
FWIW, I wouldn't carry a revolver for self-protection.

semi-auto, at least a 9mm that is small enough to conceal, yet large enough to control/aim/fire/use comfortably. IMO

I have compact and subcompact 9mm and 380 for concealed carry;

my 10mm is a full size and not easy to conceal, instead I have a small slingbag with a larger 9mm PCC, no brace, with several standard capacity (25-30 rds) mags, that I practice with, including the belt-loop rapid fire "trick"; easy to conceal too; have similar for other PCC in 9mm and 10mm
I don't carry revolvers either, at least as a primary. Plenty of people do though and there's nothing wrong with that.

just more to manage and control IME; like anything if you practice you can make it work.
A lot less confusing for newer shooters and way less to go wrong. Although quality modern striker fired semi autos are extremely reliable. Also the heavier double action trigger pull makes it much safer for carry in a coat pocket or something. I personally would never carry any gun in a pocket without a holster that covers the entire trigger guard though, but that's just me.

A lot less confusing for newer shooters and way less to go wrong. Although quality modern striker fired semi autos are extremely reliable. Also the heavier double action trigger pull makes it much safer for carry in a coat pocket or something. I personally would never carry any gun in a pocket without a holster that covers the entire trigger guard though, but that's just me.
The only reason (and only revolver I own) I have a revolver is because I wanted a S&W 500 Mag.

It's the only weapon I've ever fired that actually scared me. That blast out of the cylinder gap when fired is no joke. You will put a hole in / 3rd degree fry any skin near it. I could feel the wind and heat! :yes:

Last edited:
when looking for firearms for sale, it's annoying when dealers have active listings which turn out to be "out of stock".

IMO

My revelations came years after I was already a "Gun guy" as well. Well, pretty much when I took my first decent class. Nothing like training with pros to make you realize that all these years you didn't know shit. Stance, Grip, sight picture, sear engagement sight picture again, press, follow through and don't forget to breathe. All sounds pedantic but it's all important and these days it's muscle memory. When I draw my shit is automatically lined up. When I started using dots there was no learning curve. I never had to "Find the dot", it was right there. Trigger control is the real key. Most people shoot low and left when they start because they're jerking or slapping the trigger. When you start visualizing a press instead of a pull it comes together. Then it's just massive repetition until it becomes muscle memory. The other big eye opener for me was something I never considered. Eye dominance. I have always been mostly ambidextruous and have always preferred to shoot beaded shotguns from the left side. Now I know why. I am cross eye dominant. So my left eye is dominant but I primarily shoot pistols from the right. I train both ways but right feels right. When I figured out I was cross dominant I got all kinds of advice about switching to left and blah, blah. It's really not that difficult to mitigate cross eye dominance. First, you should be shooting with both eyes open whether you are cross eye dominant or not, but once you realize why you're shooting 2'' off center all the time, it's just a matter of adjusting your draw so that the gun comes up where your left eye is lined up with the sights. Easy peasy. Of course optics make that a non issue, but I think everyone should master irons before moving to dots.
Agreed
I'm right eye dominant, but I'll shoot pistols both ways just in case I loose my right hand to an injury. Always both eyes open. AR's are slightly different for me, I shoot right handed but will transition to left shoulder if I need to as opposed to shooting them left handed. The transition just happens with less thought on my part so that's how I train to run it. Its personal preference. There are some situations where it would be a disadvantage, but having trained that way for years it just feels more natural and def faster. If I run out and have to do a mag swap its definitely faster that way, but my whole "if I get shot in my strong hand I need to be comfortable doing it left handed" thing is compromised due to the way my kit is setup so thats a thing I gotta work through. Not so bad if we are running plate carriers that particular day, but most of the time running drills we are just running battle belts due to the heat, and thats where it gets tricky.
The first time I went to K&M and did a long distance class, I found out very quickly everything I had done my whole life was wrong :LOL:
Shannon Kay was my instructor and the first time we went prone so he could evaluate exactly what we were doing, he said " You've shot a long time, haven't you?'
Me- "yes sir.. since I was 5.."
I thought he was gonna compliment me on my shitty 3.6" group at 100 yds..
SK- "Well you've done everything wrong long enough to be fairly proficient at it.... Everything you're doing is wrong"
He smiled at me and said "it will be fine, give yourself till lunchtime before you get discouraged. We have a lot to do "
That was my first "oh shit" moment of that weekend, I had a bunch of those after that, but he got me straightened out.
I could not believe how much I learned over the next 2 days. In less than 2 hours, he had me shooting 3/8" groups consistently.
We've ended up going there several times and trained through Advanced levels with him over the past 7 years. Best money I ever spent .
He's probably forgotten more than I'll ever know about long distance shooting :LOL:

Last edited:
The only reason (and only revolver I own) I have a revolver is because I wanted a S&W 500 Mag.

It's the only weapon I've ever fired that actually scared me. That blast out of the cylinder gap when fired is no joke. You will put a hole in / 3rd degree fry any skin near it. I could feel the wind and heat! :yes:
Thats too much pistol for me. At this point I'd rather have 21 rounds of 9mm than 6 Anti-Aircraft rounds:LOL:
I would rather spread that impact trauma out over a bunch of vital organs up and down the kill corridor :LOL:

Thats too much pistol for me. At this point I'd rather have 21 rounds of 9mm than 6 Anti-Aircraft rounds:LOL:
I would rather spread that impact trauma out over a bunch of vital organs up and down the kill corridor :LOL:
Yes, I don't shoot it often, but it's a literal and figurative "blast" every shot! :D

Also, looks like I'm going to enjoy my 7.62 NATO long gun (24" barrel) for awhile it seems, since the Barrett MRAD SMR in 300 PRC doesn't seem to be available for sale ATM, at least not in black, or locally; not much more but shipping to a local FFL adds complexity IME. Now, the standard MRAD is available locally, and an additional cost...I suppose it would be nice to have the ability to change barrels/caliber for another $2K, and another ~$2K each :LOL:

Back