Gibson Burstbuckers suck

Samhain

Banned
Specifically Burstbucker Pro's unless you don't use pedals.
Everytime i step on a boost pedal they squeal like a bish even 1/2 way across the room.
None of my Duncans or DiMarzios do that.

Burstbucker pro 3’s feel and sound awful but I like my BB1 and BB2’s in my traditional. I’ve been wanting to yank the bridge out of my standard ever since I got it.

They actually sound great in a strat believe it or not, but not a LP. I have had a decent bit luck with them and semi hollows. Removing the covers helps a little bit but that's the only trick.

Everytime i step on a boost pedal they squeal like a bish even 1/2 way across the room.
I hate them. I always found them bright in the top end, and flabby in the lows. Hate the '57 Classics too. Mud city.

They suck balls. They're low output, have a narrow frequency range AND compressed to hell with poor dynamics. I marvel at how Gibson pulled that off...

Burstbuckers Pro aren't potted, the same with other aftermarket BB's. For example BB2/BB1 from Reissue LP's are potted and doesn't squeal. Anyway they sound very harsh and brittle even in darker sounding LP's. BB2 in bridge is much more pleasant in high end and sounds fuller. I'm very surprised how good they handle higain despite Alnico II magnet.

Love the BBP's in my SG. Never played them in a LP.
Yeah, I had a pair of BB pro's that came with a Les Paul, and they sucked donkey balls in that guitar.
On a whim, I threw them in a 90's SG, and they sound great.
They were the stock pickups in the LP, and mine are potted for sure ( I know because I tried swapping to an A2 magnet when they were in the LP )
They have the original magnets back in the SG.

Wait til you try some of the latest un-potted CustomBuckers in the 2020 Historic Reissues... ever watch the movie Deliverance?

Yeah, I had a pair of BB pro's that came with a Les Paul, and they sucked donkey balls in that guitar.
On a whim, I threw them in a 90's SG, and they sound great.
They were the stock pickups in the LP, and mine are potted for sure ( I know because I tried swapping to an A2 magnet when they were in the LP )
They have the original magnets back in the SG.
Mine came out of a LP as well. They sound 100x better than the Dirty Fingers that were in my SG. Now those truly sucked.

They suck balls. They're low output, have a narrow frequency range AND compressed to hell with poor dynamics. I marvel at how Gibson pulled that off...

That’s my findings as well - my BB3 bridge in my Les Paul lacks dynamics and just sounds flat. It brings no picking dynamics my BB2 or BB1 have and ironically the BB2 in the neck sounds fine - I’ve got nothing bad to say about it personally. But the BB3 bridge makes me not want to play the guitar at all.

Mine came out of a LP as well. They sound 100x better than the Dirty Fingers that were in my SG. Now those truly sucked.
Ha Ha, yeah with my SG, the BB pro's replaced a Dirty fingers bridge, and what I think was a 490R. Not sure, but it was a horrible neck pu.
Guitar sounds great now.
Just goes to show it's all about the wood, and getting the right pu in the right guitar.

Yes, Gibson's Burstbuckers are a far cry from the highly sought after 50s ear PAF pickups. There are a ton of great aftermarket PAF style pickups on the market. I would also recommend ditching the 300k volume pots and installing a set of quality 500k pots. This will help you to get the best out of your Les Paul.

I don't know about that.
I had a BB2 neck with a JB bridge
in a 54R Jeff Beck Oxblood LP that didn't need a thing.
Great match.

Back