What’s the tightest amp with the biggest low end you’ve played. ?

If you had all the amps in the world lined up and tried them all, you'd take the Boogie C++ Coliseum home.
Though I’ve never had the honor of playing one , I’d have to believe this has to be the truth. For me personally it was my VHT50CL. I had to buy a VHT 4x12 because my Trace Elliot cab couldn’t handle the low end.

Deliverance, Wizard, KSR Gemini as well. The Mark III Blue Stripe gets pretty tight as well.

I didn't think the VH4 was necessarily tight, stiff yes.

I guess when I think tight,it relates to the low end and how it tracks.
I never thought of the VH4’s as sounding especially tight either, but they do feel tight and stiff like you said, but the older Blueface VH4 feel better and not too stiff imo, but not any tighter really

For low end tracking the Wizards are hard to beat. I consider a bunch other amps to sound tighter still, but the notes get lost compared to the Wizard on the fast palm mute stuff

Wizard for sure, only played an MTL but man on 2 it felt like it was punishing those speakers, in a good way. KSR Gemini can also get some big tight low end as mentioned above and has great clarity. The clarity and attack on the Wizard though is intense.

Wizard is on the short list. Playing in drop B, drop C and B standard. Assuming it holds together that low no problem?

Again, funny what our ears hear and WANT to hear. I’m influenced by Acid Bath, Crowbar, Down, CoC and that type of stuff. For me that tone is perfection. What type of music are you playing on a Wizard?

I used to play Drop C through an MCII no issues at all. Never played lower than that and these days all I play in is Drop D. I can't imagine it wouldn't hold together as they have tremendous headroom and clarity. Others will disagree, but these amps need a boost out front for metal IMO...At least for me they do.

Have to say the biggest most ridiculously enormous low end of any amp I've played was a loop modded Mark IIB. It too needed a boost to tighten it up, but boosted that amp had a sonic footprint like no other. MW Recto of course has a huge low end, but was useless for me without a boost. Smacked up front with an OD that low end was like a wrecking ball but was not fast tracking.

My Cali mod and a Cameron HG Jose mod I used to have are the amps I’ve owned and played that have a great combo of a huge and tight low end. The Cali leans a little more towards the tight side while the Cameron had some more lows. The Cali hits harder and tracks great. The Cameron would suck the air out of the room with the lows.

Some honorable mentions: My Natas. It can get tighter than those, and while it has more bass than one would expect, it’s still more direct than the larger bottom amps. I had Cameron modded Uber that had a great low end response that held together well once the volume went up, but it wasn’t as tight. My buddy had a Splawn Nitro that had a massive low end that thumped hard and tracked amazingly well. I had one for a short spell, but my friend’s amp smoked mine. I’m not sure if his was special or mine was a dud. And while it may not be as cool as the others mentioned, the EVH stealth 100s has a great tracking low end.

So I've never played a Mark IIC, or III but they are def some tight amps. You can hear it in the clips. One of my favorite guitar tones ever is Master of Puppets. I have played some tight amps in my time including a VHT and XXX and 5150 and 2555 etc. Some amps though are almost too tight you know? I like a little sag or play in there.

I made this to show off my new Q2 camera and not really to show tracking or tightness but I like how these track. Drop C. Koko boosted but still.

Drop C

For the amps I’ve owned, Diezel Herbert and Hagen, my KSR Artemis is pretty damn good at it too. Uberschall can dial in some good bottom end too. Never tried a Wizard.

For the amps I’ve owned, Diezel Herbert and Hagen, my KSR Artemis is pretty damn good at it too. Uberschall can dial in some good bottom end too. Never tried a Wizard.
Try a Wizard, iic+ or coliseum and you’ll likely no longer care about those amps mentioned. An old Blueface or boosted Naylor can probably have the same effect

I used to play Drop C through an MCII no issues at all. Never played lower than that and these days all I play in is Drop D. I can't imagine it wouldn't hold together as they have tremendous headroom and clarity. Others will disagree, but these amps need a boost out front for metal IMO...At least for me they do.

Have to say the biggest most ridiculously enormous low end of any amp I've played was a loop modded Mark IIB. It too needed a boost to tighten it up, but boosted that amp had a sonic footprint like no other. MW Recto of course has a huge low end, but was useless for me without a boost. Smacked up front with an OD that low end was like a wrecking ball but was not fast tracking.
I have this one friend who plays in B Standard. He’s a tech death player and plays riffs faster than anyone I’ve ever seen (even famous guys on YouTube) and of all my amps he sounded best imo on my Wizard MTL, so I can say from that experience it tracks better than my other amps. I think he sounded 2nd best on either my mark no stripe ++ coliseum or Blueface VH4. Those amps also sounded great for his playing. The vast majority of amps really don’t cut it for the type of stuff he does. I’ve heard him on Rev 2 Uber, Herberts, several Engls, block letter 5150 and others and the notes are just too blurry for the riffs he plays in his tunings

What do you want me to say... So far, it’s the biggest and tightest that I haven’t owned...
Haha fair enough. It's definitely the coolest looking amp I've had, although the DAR Forza I had I think looked even cooler, but didn't sound as impressive. Cool amps though. Somewhat similar sounding to the KSR Gemini I used to have

SVT with a big muff
Or an SVT with a Herzog if ya want the Big Sugar :D
Put your ear plugs in though......
Any of you guys that have ever seen Gordie live with this rig know what I'm talkin' about.
It's a religious experience.......

I've only heard the C+/++ Coliseum mentioned a couple of times, bc they are so rare in the wild, 80 or so. Not many of have had the chance to play one and it is by far and by a mile it IS the dominant amp in this thread and every other it's ridiculous. Nothing mentioned will dwarf it given the chance. Make no mistake thinking a variant of C+ is the same amp. The 105pt in a hundred watt is a beast but the Coliseum still puts out more voltage than it does, 500+ VDC on the plates. If anyone knows any of the amps mentioned have irons that put out more speak up.

Last edited:
Roccaforte HG 100
VHT Ultra Lead
Wizard
Fryette Deliverance series II
Diezel VH4
Love the low end of the Uberschall but it has a bit more sag to me. I also love the PRS Archon and will lit it just because it kicks ass and is made by PRS and does the Brootz.

1st generation Axe FX (with the "tightness trick") into VHT 2/90/2. Nothing else even comes close.

Honorable mentions:
KSR Ceres
Engl E570 and E670

Engl SE (e670). Lead I and II, Huge and tight.

Like @MetalHeadMike said, the Diezel Herbert is cool and all, but has something going on, that makes it less tight than some of the Engls.
I can get my Invader to do a huge 'n tight tone too on Channel 3. It lacks a bit of the ferocity of the SE though.

While close, the Mesa Mark IV loses out on the 'huge' part, even with the 80Hz slider up all the way.

Back