Worst amp you have ever played

AGREED! I remember back in late '06-'08 when they were endorsing a ton of metalcore bands I liked at the time and then they released the KT88 version so I jumped on it. Fkn terrible amp. Sounded so harsh. You couldn't dial out any of the fizz. Not much thump, although not quite thin either. So funny how much of a legend Dime is yet had the worst sounding signal chain ever! (minus the Digitech Whammy and Furman PQ3). Just goes to show you its all in the playing.
That top end sizzle was part of Dimes tone, but it can be dialed out if you want. They got tons of thump, you gotta pair it with the right cab though.

I think Dime's tone was legendary, just check out some of the more hi-fi vids of Pantera from about '92, there's some good vids that capture just how mean his live tone was during that time. I'll try to find one and post it. I can't imagine Pantera without that over the top chainsaw tone. It would sound weak without it.

Bugera 333XL - Got it in a trade with something else and couldn't flip it fast enough.

Carvin MTS3200 - Got one broken for practically free. Everyone had one at one point in time and they were all hot garbage. My tech and I ended up rebuilding it and modding it up to make it decent. Good transformers, cut out the diodes to make it all tube, mod the tone stacks on both channels, and upgrade a bunch of components to make it "okay".

That top end sizzle was part of Dimes tone, but it can be dialed out if you want. They got tons of thump, you gotta pair it with the right cab though.

I think Dime's tone was legendary, just check out some of the more hi-fi vids of Pantera from about '92, there's some good vids that capture just how mean his live tone was during that time. I'll try to find one and post it. I can't imagine Pantera without that over the top chainsaw tone. It would sound weak without it.
yeah. being that this was my sound in highschool, I will always love that tone. I know a lot of people talk shit about it, but that is THE tone of metal for me.

Don't get me wrong, Pantera couldn't be who they are without that sound funny enough. Not in my opinion anyway. The tone is shit, no bones about it, but that man's talent put all of us in awe and his style just worked with that sound...almost like it was made for it. Mad respect! Sorry I sounded like a tone snob on my initial post LOL

Well. I heard that the bigger ones sounded good. I think most of the poor sound came from the tiny (5"?) speaker in the lunchbox 5 or 10 watt head

i’ve owned the THR10, the THR10X, and the THR100HD. All awesome to me, but different strokes and all that.

I still have my THR10X and honestly if someone put a gun to my head and said I could only have one amp it would probably be the THR10X!

I had some type of Marshall DSL201 combo or something of that nature with EL-84s back in the early 2000s....from what I recall. It was an absolute POS. I never had so many problems with an amp.

my first amp - a peavey bandit
also i didn't like a 6550 that i got for 150 at the flea market
flipped it for 400
then bought a 5150 3 50 watt which i also flipped and then got a monomyth 1976 jmp - DONE
search over

Ampeg VL-503

Attachments

• ampeg-vl503-amp-1994-cons-full-front.jpg-nggid0523059-ngg0dyn-845x0x100-00f0w010c010r110f110r0...jpg
    ampeg-vl503-amp-1994-cons-full-front.jpg-nggid0523059-ngg0dyn-845x0x100-00f0w010c010r110f110r0...jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 36
i’ve owned the THR10, the THR10X, and the THR100HD. All awesome to me, but different strokes and all that.

I still have my THR10X and honestly if someone put a gun to my head and said I could only have one amp it would probably be the THR10X!
Yeah. Plus it was a floor model, someone could have driven that speaker to tear, lol. If you say it sounds good, I don't think the one I played was working. Definitely don't think calling someone's fav amp shit is something I want to be doing; lmao, so we will stick with the Line 6

Don't get me wrong, Pantera couldn't be who they are without that sound funny enough. Not in my opinion anyway. The tone is shit, no bones about it, but that man's talent put all of us in awe and his style just worked with that sound...almost like it was made for it. Mad respect! Sorry I sounded like a tone snob on my initial post LOL
His tone wasn't shit, it kicked ass IMO. It wasn't as good when he switched to Krank though, he just sounded best through SS. Yes, you are a tone snob.

Krank amps are great, IMO. Very aggressive-sounding. The trick with them is to keep the Sweep knob below 11:00, otherwise, they get super buzzy, IMO. They also benefit from a Tube Screamer a lot.

Then again, I don't think Kranks are the amps for people who dig the "666" settings on 5150's. JMO.

Line 6 Flextone was in a rehearsal room already. I did not want to carry my gear in and used the line 6. I t was the worse amp I ever played. Sounds like shit.
I had two LINE 6 Flextone II amps and both broke within hours of purchase. I was so angry that I stopped playing LINE 6 everything for years. So infuriating.

I had two LINE 6 Flextone II amps and both broke within hours of purchase. I was so angry that I stopped playing LINE 6 everything for years. So infuriating.
I remember changing the settings between every song. It drove everybody crazy. I was very lazy that day and still refuse to go grab my gear.

Back