Worst amp you have ever played

Rivera KR7 - Sounds like a sterile scooped Metal Zone until it gets to a certain volume and all the ballsy frequencies come through, but at that point it's way too loud for any practical band scenario. MIDI switching is there, but there's no learn function, so any outboard effects would have to be programmable according to the amp's fixed MIDI parameters. Really had high hopes for this one, especially considering the amount of similarly spec'd competition. I messaged Rivera about a fix for this, and they just told me to buy an attenuator.

Laney IRT 120 - Sounded good in a bedroom setting, but fell apart as you tried to get it loud enough for a rehearsal setting. Once past 12 o clock, it just fizzled out like a cheap solid state amp.

Ultimate redneck jury-rigged/no money setup. This is absolutely true,and two of us were doing it with the exact same setup described. I am leaving the other guitarists name out to save him from public humiliation. (cough....Scott Shelby of Warbeast...cough)

Tube screamer into a Gorilla amp(ran AC or DC...as in a car battery). Line out to an old Peavey PA mixer head that powered two horrible built,thrown together particle board cabs the size of 4x12s with only 2 speakers scored in a dope deal in each cab(at an angle,each one in a corner). The "grill cloth" was a torn bed sheet painted with florescent paints. We were laughing hysterically the whole time from the start of the build to the end when we were blasting riffs from the whole first Slayer album "Show no mercy" for hours on end on our ridiculous Frankenstein creations. (edit...this was in 85 or so)

Meth is a hell of a drug.

Last edited:
Ultimate redneck jury-rigged/no money setup. This is absolutely true,and two of us were doing it with the exact same setup described. I am leaving the other guitarists name out to save him from public humiliation. (cough....Scott Shelby of Warbeast...cough)

Tube screamer into a Gorilla amp(ran AC or DC...as in a car battery). Line out to an old Peavey PA mixer head that powered two horrible built,thrown together particle board cabs the size of 4x12s with only 2 speakers scored in a dope deal in each cab(at an angle,each one in a corner). The "grill cloth" was a torn bed sheet painted with florescent paints. We were laughing hysterically the whole time from the start of the build to the end when we were blasting riffs from the whole first Slayer album "Show no mercy" for hours on end on our ridiculous Frankenstein creations.

I'd have definitely partied with you guys :LOL: :love:

Rivera KR7 - Sounds like a sterile scooped Metal Zone until it gets to a certain volume and all the ballsy frequencies come through, but at that point it's way too loud for any practical band scenario. MIDI switching is there, but there's no learn function, so any outboard effects would have to be programmable according to the amp's fixed MIDI parameters. Really had high hopes for this one, especially considering the amount of similarly spec'd competition. I messaged Rivera about a fix for this, and they just told me to buy an attenuator.

Laney IRT 120 - Sounded good in a bedroom setting, but fell apart as you tried to get it loud enough for a rehearsal setting. Once past 12 o clock, it just fizzled out like a cheap solid state amp.

The trick with any version of the Knucklehead is to use the loop levels to bring the volume down. Whether you actually have effects in the loop or just a patch cord, you can bring the overall volume WAY down and get great tones at low volume. I have both send and receive levels between 3 & 3-1/2 for both my Knuckleheads and they both sound great at low volumes.

Tube screamer into a Gorilla amp(ran AC or DC...as in a car battery). Line out to an old Peavey PA mixer head that powered two horrible built,thrown together particle board cabs the size of 4x12s with only 2 speakers scored in a dope deal in each cab(at an angle,each one in a corner). The "grill cloth" was a torn bed sheet painted with florescent paints. We were laughing hysterically the whole time from the start of the build to the end when we were blasting riffs from the whole first Slayer album "Show no mercy" for hours on end on our ridiculous Frankenstein creations.

While I made it a goal to consume every drug I could get my hands on, I always stayed away from meth and PCP. That said, if I could drop in for one experience, I totally would have done meth with you guys. :ROFLMAO:

The trick with any version of the Knucklehead is to use the loop levels to bring the volume down. Whether you actually have effects in the loop or just a patch cord, you can bring the overall volume WAY down and get great tones at low volume. I have both send and receive levels between 3 & 3-1/2 for both my Knuckleheads and they both sound great at low volumes.
I actually was using a multi effects unit in 4CM and tried several ways to adjust loop volume/level as well; on the amp and in the effects unit. No luck, unfortunately. Maybe it's different with the regular Knucklehead models.

I actually was using a multi effects unit in 4CM and tried several ways to adjust loop volume/level as well; on the amp and in the effects unit. No luck, unfortunately. Maybe it's different with the regular Knucklehead models.
I have a KR55 which is what the KR7 was based off. As far as I understand, the KR7 is just a KR100 with some slight revisions to the voicing. The loop level trick should work.

Framus Cobra - great clean channel but the rest sounded so bad. Worst thing was it was very difficult to get rid of.

I loved my Katana. Had two of them actually. A powerful little rig.
I like my little Katana 50 mkII quite a bit too. It doesn't have an offensive tone in it, it's quite nice and warm sounding to be honest, both distorted and clean. Maybe a bit generic sounding, but what do you expect at that kinda price??

My neighbor has a little SS Laney combo, very low wattage and it just has a terrible gain channel to it. Loose as shit and fuzzy, not even a boost can fix that sound. The clean channel is playable.
If i remember correctly it was some model from 20 years ago and was " designed for" metal or something. i thought i could make it work but it just didn't happen.

The Marshall Mode is probably the worst I've played. I admit though I did not spend much time with it so maybe there were good tones to be had. It did earn the nickname Commode so......

Back