Current Marshall modders that are original, unique, or just great all around?

I also think the Cameron’s were the best sounding modded Marshall’s I’ve had with Shea’s being my 2nd favorites, but I thought they actually sounded and felt pretty different from each other. I’ve had 2 at the same, but still with the others I had at different times, imo different. The Monomyth’s I’ve had were tighter, sharper, maybe grainier or nastier in a way, more clanky/attacky, more compressed, more growl than the Cameron’s except for maybe this one Aldrich I had, which was more growly, hairy and compressed than some others. The Cameron’s seemed to have a more fluid feel and I think you hear the sound of the donor amp’s inherent tone come through more. I’ve sold or trade all my modded ones though and also just use old stock ones now. With a boost like my Klon those stock ones are very hard to beat

Message to op, the disrespect for mods offering services to players is down right offensive to me, we do this for love and passion, I’m modding and building full time now and can tell you all we keep a list of bad apples.
I am not trying to start any trouble. But if someone doesn’t like a certain tone, isn’t that just someone’s opinion and personal preference? I don’t think that’s disrespect.

I am not trying to start any trouble. But if someone doesn’t like a certain tone, isn’t that just someone’s opinion and personal preference? I don’t think that’s disrespect.
I think calling Dave’s work “hobbyist” is pretty disrespectful, if the guys have past beef that’s all good, I’ve seen other threads recently criticizing Gowers work which is pretty absurd, you guys should all be mindful who you let influence your decisions, that is all.

I think calling Dave’s work “hobbyist” is pretty disrespectful, if the guys have past beef that’s all good, I’ve seen other threads recently criticizing Gowers work which is pretty absurd, you guys should all be mindful who you let influence your decisions, that is all.
You are right, I should have taken the high road. Ive had a number of customs and tweaks over the last 30 years, and I am a very easy person to work. Dave and I have had more than one transaction in the last, none turned out well and all started with me ‘needing to get my ears checked’.
He’s done a lot of great things, I’m just looking for something else.

I believe I’m using a VFE Standout. Amp is a bone stock 1980 Marshall JMP.

I hate when people say it’s in the hands but you probably have it Dave.
You are right, I should have taken the high road. Ive had a number of customs and tweaks over the last 30 years, and I am a very easy person to work. Dave and I have had more than one transaction in the last, none turned out well and all started with me ‘needing to get my ears checked’.
its all good man, daves a friend of mine irl so obviously I’m biased, also to add there’s a few really good guys here that don’t publicly offer mods but are absolute wizards with the iron, Scott and Mike come to mind.

It’s perfectly valid for him to say he doesn’t like those mods (it’s his opinion), but the way in which he said it was very disrespectful and a lot of what he said was uncalled for (like criticizing the guy’s playing, his tuning, recording skills, build quality, etc.) If I was a modder I would have also been offended

I get though the frustration of the OP’s side that builders and modders are often stubborn to work if you don’t agree with them because they take pride in their work (it’s like their child I guess) and it will usually just be the sound they wanna hear no matter how they tweak it, so you just gotta either find one with similar taste to you or learn to do it yourself

It’s perfectly valid for him to say he doesn’t like those mods (it’s his opinion), but the way in which he said it was very disrespectful and a lot of what he said was uncalled for (like criticizing the guy’s playing, his tuning, recording skills, build quality, etc.) If I was a modder I would have also been offended

I get though the frustration of the OP’s side that builders and modders are often stubborn to work if you don’t agree with them because they take pride in their work (it’s like their child I guess) and it will usually just be the sound they wanna hear no matter how they tweak it, so you just gotta either find one with similar taste to you or learn to do it yourself
Ah, I thought Hopkins first attacked him and said that stuff about his playing and grammar, I must have got it backwards.

Ok, now I understand. He said Hopkins work was hobbyist level, and then Hopkins said the guitar and grammar stuff.

got it, the hobbyist remark was disrespectful.

Thought you said it was a Cusack Screamer.
Could be... I looked at when the video was made and when I got the Standout and assumed it was the Standout. The Cusack is okay, but I’m not a fan of tube screamers in front of stock Marshall’s, so I still assume it’s the Standout. 😂 The only other pedal it could be is a Timmy. 🤷 Either way the amp is stock and I’m using one pedal out front☠️

Ok, now I understand. He said Hopkins work was hobbyist level, and then Hopkins said the guitar and grammar stuff.

got it, the hobbyist remark was disrespectful.
There still was no reason for me to lash out. It was both unprofessional & disrespectful regardless of any excuse.

David

Here is a little history lesson on that photo of the cameron amp with the red paint. That photo was taken by Andy Fuchs while it was on his bench for an attempt at installing a tube loop, he shortly after posted that on the amp garage forum Little did we know about the afterbirth disaster inside. Myself and my buddy who owned the amp at that time went to Andy to do the work after my buddy waited I believe like 2 years for the mod from Mark. Andy wouldn't touch it and just threw in a passive insert loop and suggested to buy an external loop like a Dumbleator type unit.

So yes that is a c@meron and now you know the story on that amp. Also it was rescued by Kurt and Josh I believe from Mark, apparently it was done and just sitting there....

Ps - the amp sounded pretty good , but it was a 50 watter , never my fav, 100 watts or go home for me...

It did not occur to me this may be my brother in arms. I only say this as reflecting on phrases which lead me to one of three possible individuals when you stated hearing test.

If so as I recall the request was for something very bright so it pleased your ears. (likely too many things that go boom as we both have). If this is not my friend from the Rocky Mountains I still apologize for dumping on your thread and being a bit thin skinned of late. If this is my friend from the Rocky Mountains then I know you certainly understand and please continue to remain safe.

Regardless, I hope you find the killer amp that excites you. Monomyth’s circuits are the best in that wheel house that I have played. Killer quality & he too believes Customer Service is Second Only too Tone.

Kind of strange how this generates requests for mods for all of the discussed gentleman willing to take the work.

There are only a few offering to cater to tone chasers. But as mentioned I know the modification guys I speak with do indeed keep a list just as players may. And yes some turn guys away that really are uncertain what they want. That is just not good for anyone.

Monomyth and I send each other referrals often as our targeted tone is far enough apart.

Best regards to all and I will work on the Hopkins Mods Black Tank Tops. I assume most of you can fill them out 2X.

Truth is I over heat easily due to one of many Military injuries in 24 years in a combat unit. Much to some of your delight I will not survive another heatstroke. Been dead twice and still here so don’t get too excited.

Still working out the freaking hand surgery.

I didn’t see any love for David Bray, Roccaforte etc...

I am designing all tube 3/4/5 stage Cathode & non Cathode designs. Some custom requests.

Abovevall as Shea & I, then in the past Cameron & I discussed, it can be very difficult to do another persons mod not due to lack of knowledge but not possessing each other’s ears for final tuning. (Cabs/Speakers & Guitars) are huge points. I now use a 10.4LBS Les Paul and mid 90’s UK Vintage 30’s.

DH

Here is a Cameron flunky inspired song I wrote in my studio over a Cameron flunky amp I modded. Not that will you to listen it but others will over time and seek the Cameron flunky 4 of which there new onwhich
Quit spamming please.

It did not occur to me this may be my brother in arms. I only say this as reflecting on phrases which lead me to one of three possible individuals when you stated hearing test.

If so as I recall the request was for something very bright so it pleased your ears. (likely too many things that go boom as we both have). If this is not my friend from the Rocky Mountains I still apologize for dumping on your thread and being a bit thin skinned of late. If this is my friend from the Rocky Mountains then I know you certainly understand and please continue to remain safe.

Regardless, I hope you find the killer amp that excites you. Monomyth’s circuits are the best in that wheel house that I have played. Killer quality & he too believes Customer Service is Second Only too Tone.

Kind of strange how this generates requests for mods for all of the discussed gentleman willing to take the work.

There are only a few offering to cater to tone chasers. But as mentioned I know the modification guys I speak with do indeed keep a list just as players may. And yes some turn guys away that really are uncertain what they want. That is just not good for anyone.

Monomyth and I send each other referrals often as our targeted tone is far enough apart.

Best regards to all and I will work on the Hopkins Mods Black Tank Tops. I assume most of you can fill them out 2X.

Truth is I over heat easily due to one of many Military injuries in 24 years in a combat unit. Much to some of your delight I will not survive another heatstroke. Been dead twice and still here so don’t get too excited.

Still working out the freaking hand surgery.

I didn’t see any love for David Bray, Roccaforte etc...

I am designing all tube 3/4/5 stage Cathode & non Cathode designs. Some custom requests.

Abovevall as Shea & I, then in the past Cameron & I discussed, it can be very difficult to do another persons mod not due to lack of knowledge but not possessing each other’s ears for final tuning. (Cabs/Speakers & Guitars) are huge points. I now use a 10.4LBS Les Paul and mid 90’s UK Vintage 30’s.

DH
Ya know what? Let’s just reset. I’m going to apologize for my behalf. Perhaps you and I just had circumstances that didn’t mesh at the time.
I’m going to delete my negative comments and start anew. I DO have hearing issues from prior service as well. Ive heard nothing but great things about you, so maybe it is/was me. Whatever the case is, I’m in for brushing it all off and talking tone.

Back