Current Marshall modders that are original, unique, or just great all around?

VanMalmsteen

Banned
I am wondering what modders are out there that do Marshall mods that are unique or just flat out great. I know the eras are switching hands, the days of Suhr, Friedman, Bogner, and Jose, Levi, Rivera, and likes of that are almost gone. Most of them won’t do one off or custom work at this point, nor for general public. Sometimes, but not as a common service much more.

So for the more active current MODDING guys, who are some good ones that would be recommended?

Hermannson, what’s his ‘thing’? Ive heard great things, but not very knowledgeable on his design/product. Gower is great.
I almost went hermansson. HIs stuff sounds great to me. I think though, that i lucked out and got a wizard. I think you can't go wrong with any of the options, though. These guys all know what they are doing. Just depends on what your flavor is. My wizard is just fucking nasty. So i will pull you this way.

Hermannson, what’s his ‘thing’? Ive heard great things, but not very knowledgeable on his design/product. Gower is great.
He does "tight." And high gain. It's basically copying Gower/Fortin mods, which are copies of Larry's ideas.

He just does them a bit more true to the original Larry ideas, as opposed to combining them with Jose, Steavens, Fryette, like Gower/Fortin do.

VanMalamsteen. Pleased to hear that you have posted about me. We all have our opinions and ears vary or everyone would still be rehashing the Cameron Jose take on mod's.

A well known Modder/Manufacturer and Friend turned me on to your remark. I have very thick skin and would never stoop so low as to say I hope I would find your abilities to play far greater than your grammar, punctuation and articulation. But thought I would offer up an example of a short one minute excerpt of all tube modded Marshall Audio/Video and guitar ability in place of your eloquent articulated opinion.

My only caveat would be I do not play the modern tight pre tone stack clippers so I leave that to those who do.

Below in my signature is a short 1 minute video with just a very few gut shots and external features.

The audio is my Pandora Mod 4 stages of gain and me playing all but drums. Mixed & Mastered etc... here at home.

I will be pleased to provide additional examples to anyone else kind enough to ask.

I will only say that my work numbers in the triple digits. See if you can find one for sale.

Best to all. Customer Service is only Second to Tone.

David Hopkins ♫

Here is an EVL for member Dan Burton. I modded 6-7 for Dan alone. I fact Dan is the reason I developed two popular add on circuits. Thanks Dan.

Noiseless switching Solo Master.

Hey Dave, by saying I would never stoop so low as to say ‘xyz’ and then saying is exactly the childish behavior that steers me away from your amps. The tone is decent, but dealing with you is like dealing with someone who cannot fathom being disagreed with. Personally, I think your amp demo sounds like ass. If you were a better player and could stay away from fizz and glorified Headphone tone maybe your amps would truly be selling in the three digits.

You ARE rehashing Cameron Jose mods, you buy his offline and copy them and flip them. I have sold you TWO myself on Reverb. Your whole business model is a Cameron ripoff. Better service, inferior tone. Don’t correct other peoples grammar if yours is wrong as well, such as the lack of a comma after the word ‘punctuation’. Ironic, I know.

I see you post all the time, I never say anything negative. I even liked your recent thread because it was a cool amp. But you, you have to be pushy and creepy and justify yourself anytime someone has an opinion. You have nice amps. They aren’t for me.

Looking for modded amps other than Hopkins.

Last edited:
I should have looked first as I did not know this was your Thread. I do apologize for taking a dump on it.

I truly wish you well. Hope you find what you are listening for. David Hopkins...♫

Here is an example of my poor work just before final wipe down and bias. And playing.

My first high gain mod.

I wish you well, too. The work below looks good, like a decent amp kit or Ceriatone. Both awesome, by the way, but they are priced far better and are (sometimes) equal or better.
This is just my personal opinion, others may love your amps. Ive heard people sound killer on them. The one I sold the guy still has and he sounds great. They aren’t for me, that’s all, as far as the amps themselves go.
I’ll give the clip a listen in a moment, but right off the bat your first chord is out of tune. How can I trust you in tuning an amp when you cannot tune the guitar? And pushing a video of you ‘shredding duuuude’ is another reminder why I asked for other options. If I’m getting a custom amp done I need you to listen to me, not push the same work on me that you always do. That’s fine, but that’s not custom. And you are correct, I cannot find them for sale, but would love to look into more of your stuff. Where are some shops that stock them, I can’t find that either.

Last edited:
He technically does not need a comma after the word punctuation. It's optional. :dunno:

There are some other dudes on here that smoke at modding amps - but may not have a commercial offer.

Back