Guitar Center knowingly selling damaged goods.

War_in_D

And now I have proof. Nobody may care, but GC is a POS company and is knowingly selling damaged goods. For background, here is my other thread about GC putting a damaged amp back out for sale after I returned it:

https://www.rig-talk.com/forum/threads/gc-shenanigans-just-a-heads-up.223016/#post-2465126
Long story short, I spoke to customer service yesterday at GC and asked them how many times they were going to sell and amp they know is damaged? Response was "Thanks for bringing it to our attention, we'll take care of it". So, GC ammended the website last night, removed the "Excellent" condition and moved it to "Fair" (their lowest rating), dropped the price a bit and took off the description that said it came with a footswitch and covers (those were lost in shipping when I came to me) and replaced it with "Two channels non functional". Then a little bit later, the listing on the website changed again, describing it in "Good" condition which by their own definition means that it's "fully functional".

Damaged Roadster GC 2.JPG

I get an email last night from the GC Store Manager in Colorado Springs, CO where the map currently is that had two other GC employees copied in on it (assuming these are higher ups), saying that the customer that ordered it knew about the missing parts.. yada, yada, yada.. and that "The amp works beautifully still so once the listing is correct it will be a great amp for someone." I sent an email back, basically ripping them a new one calling the store manager a liar since their own ad says that two channels are non functional. I reminded them that GC isn't going to survive many more bankruptcies and that they need to reform their business practices and put an end to this type of unethical behavior if they want any chance to survive. Then today, I see this:

Mesa Roadster changed Description.JPG

UnF'in believable.. They went in and removed the "Two channels non functional" from the description. So, if this doesn't prove that GC knowingly sells damaged goods, I don't know what does. I'm done with them.

Last edited:
U really want a 212 combo? What an anchor..That thing has been raped by every hack guitar player and turned out..
Don't be surprised a bunch of lazy musicians tried to flip an unwanted amp for max dollar..

U really want a 212 combo? What an anchor..That thing has been raped by every hack guitar player and turned out..
Don't be surprised a bunch of lazy musicians tried to flip an unwanted amp for max dollar..

I'm trying to understand what this has to do with the price of tea in China, but I'm having a hard time. Maybe the point of my post exceeded your maximum height? :unsure:

It’s not yours anymore. You stop caring when you no longer own it. You can demand store managers to do whatever you want when you work for guitar center as a district manager. This is an isolated instance for one particular amplifier and if they sell it they sell it. Stop being so damn attached to a piece of gear you no longer own.

Looks like you need to move out of your parents basement and open your eyes to what really happens in the world. You got your money back, but still follow the amp like a puppy..
Nobody gives a fuck and crying on a message board isn't going to change a thing, jr..

It’s not yours anymore. You stop caring when you no longer own it. You can demand store managers to do whatever you want when you work for guitar center as a district manager. This is an isolated instance for one particular amplifier and if they sell it they sell it. Stop being so damn attached to a piece of gear you no longer own.

How about you both kiss my ass? It's not that isolated, since there was a person on the other thread that had the same thing happen, and then another member here that bought the amp that they ended up bringing back.

Geez.. I see a lot of keyboard cowboys around here, that probably wouldn't talk shit if they had a mouthful of it in real life. SMH

GC has done this for several years now. I returned a guitar in horrible condition, after calling the store it was located in where they said it was on great condition. Picked it up at my store here locally, and it was shit. I showed it to the head guitar guy at my store; he looked at it and laughed. I went back three days later and it was back on the shelf, same “excellent condition” price.

I'm guessing by the vitriol that this post has engendered, that GCs shady business practices is a horse that's been beat to death.

How about you both kiss my ass? It's not that isolated, since there was a person on the other thread that had the same thing happen, and then another member here that bought the amp that they ended up bringing back.

Geez.. I see a lot of keyboard cowboys around here, that probably wouldn't talk shit if they had a mouthful of it in real life. SMH

That’s what return policies are for. I also inspect used items in store before accepting them in person, I never accept used items from GC shipped directly to my house.

Regarding your childish response, If you can’t handle the truth that would be your own problem, not ours. What have you contributed to the community? How many people have you met in person from the forum? Members here are far from keyboard warrior territory and house a lot of talent in both playing and amplifier modification. I suggest if you want to make a stay here, you reconsider your outlook of others.

I get the OPs frustration. He’s new here, so let’s cut him some slack. I was pretty pissed after this happened a 2nd time to me at GC, figuring I’d give them another shot. I was overly hopeful and forgiving, I guess.

I agree. There's alot of shady sellers out there, and GC has seemed to really become a used gear disaster. Personally, aside from maybe in person, I'd never even consider buying anything used from them online. They've built quite the reputation.

If that weren't bad enough, you see GC's used shit on MF's website too. That's cringeworthy, considering the horror stories of buying "new" from MF, and getting a "used" item sent from GC. Yuck.

It seems like pretty overboard reactions. Last time this happened, I had to start a post about the worst amps people owned. Is this all trickling down form the off topic central mess?

Looks like you need to move out of your parents basement and open your eyes to what really happens in the world. You got your money back, but still follow the amp like a puppy..
Nobody gives a fuck and crying on a message board isn't going to change a thing, jr..

Wow, guys. What's it like to be executives at Guitar Center? Do they pay well? Because I've heard they really don't.

Or is there another reason you guys came into this thread about a guy who noticed something going on at Guitar Center that's clearly illegal just so you could tell him to go fuck himself?

Both of you are trash.

Last edited:
Clearly you lack reading comprehension, or are posting drunk, or maybe both, because you’re quoting the wrong people.

OP will certainly be glad to answer all of your guitar center related questions though during normal business hours.

Nothing guitar center is doing is illegal. It’s a business and a struggling one at that. Is it ethical? No, but on the flip side OP cannot verify the condition when it’s no longer even in his possession.

If you‘re a consumer that disagrees with a particular business’ practices then simply choose the high road and don‘t shop there. I don’t buy or sell on Etsy-Reverb due to disagreeing with their business model and safety of my personal information. I don’t expect to push my opinion on others in a forum topic because of it. Get it?

Last edited:
Clearly you lack reading comprehension, or are posting drunk, or maybe both, because you’re quoting the wrong people.

OP will certainly be glad to answer all of your guitar center related questions though during normal business hours.

Nothing guitar center is doing is illegal. It’s a business and a struggling one at that. Is it ethical? No, but on the flip side OP cannot verify the condition when it’s no longer even in his possession.

If you‘re a consumer that disagrees with a particular business’ practices then simply choose the high road and don‘t shop there. I don’t buy or sell on Etsy-Reverb due to disagreeing with their business model and safety of my personal information. I don’t expect to push my opinion on others in a forum topic because of it. Get it?

Nice gaslighting. But my reading comprehension is fine, and I haven't been drinking. Let's clarify the situation:

A guy bought an amp from Guitar Center that didn't work, so he took it back, then noticed that Guitar Center is trying to sell it again, passing it off as a good product while knowing it is broken. That is illegal.

Then, "midnightlaundry" and you came in here and berated him out of nowhere for reporting a crime, and it is a crime, to people in this community so they can understand more about the business practices of a company they're likely to deal with in the future.

That's what happened. End of story. And I called you trash for acting that way.

But if you want to talk more about your latest post, how about this... it doesn't matter that Guitar Center is "a struggling business" and you can fuck off with that "poor helpless company who is just knowingly breaking the law in a way that harms its customers to feed its family" nonsense. Please. Aside from that, you're suggesting that the OP can no longer verify that the amp is still broken because he doesn't have it in his house anymore? Are you actually suggesting that the OP has no argument because he doesn't have the amp anymore so he can't prove that Guitar Center hasn't "repaired" that used amp between then and now? Are you fucking serious? Are you really that stupid?

And your last comment... that if a company screws you over or potentially somebody else, then you should just walk away sulking to yourself instead of saying something to a readily-available community with minimal effort, to at least help somebody else avoid a problem? Sorry but not all of us are spineless coward doormats like you. If Reverb or Guitar Center or Sweetwater screwed me over personally or did something blatantly illegal that involved me, you can bet I'd be here and on every other relevant guitar forum to talk about it.

Personally, I'm glad this thread is here. I buy used gear and want to know what companies to avoid.

So to sum things up again, you're still trash. Good luck with your vibrant career at Guitar Center.

Last edited:
Back