Reactive loads, IR

Once you find the Perfect ir everything will click. I did not like the stock cabs in the unit. I like the suhr Celestine greenback but it’s a single 57. I use the “bright” ir.

Right on! Appreciate the thoughts and feedback guys…

As far as the digital stuff having caught up…to expand on that a bit: Unless I’m misunderstanding, which is likely, with the Load/IR scenario your amp signal is tuned into 1’s & 0’s, like that of a digital rig. It’s then played back to you with simulated cabinets (the Same-ish IRs used on digital rigs), also 1’s & 0’s. The 1’s & 0’s thing is oversimplifying what’s really taking place I realize, but it’s all sorta digital once you hit the out-going side of the LB, correct? Again may be misunderstanding.

So, as one guy above posted the digital rigs don’t sound exactly like his specific tube amp, but “as good as” (or I guess very close/similar). So arguably the RL/LB/IR is a “better” digital rig. :dunno:

I messed with the Suhr RL a few years ago…w/o the on board IR’s though it was as just ok. I’m interested in what the RL/IR will do. I may get one this week and give it a whirl. I’m always geeking over the “tone” from a pushed power section but without the volume. A fail to recall the effect/sensation of the speaker in the room moving air…. But that’s not really what I’m after. 😀

thanks again for conversations

If you apply an IR to your signal, then yes it will need to go through the AD/DA conversion process. Whether this is a problem or not is something you'd need to listen for yourself and make the call about. However I will say that high end AD/DA converters are pretty good and quite transparent these days so it might not be as bad as you think.

However, if you just use something like a Suhr Reactive Load (the standard version, not the IR version) and run that into a poweramp and cab, your signal is never converted to digital and back.

I've only used the Suhr Reactive Load though, I haven't used the Suhr Reactive Load IR, so I'm not sure if it can bypass its IR processing components and just output the raw amp signal.

U
If you apply an IR to your signal, then yes it will need to go through the AD/DA conversion process. Whether this is a problem or not is something you'd need to listen for yourself and make the call about. However I will say that high end AD/DA converters are pretty good and quite transparent these days so it might not be as bad as you think.

However, if you just use something like a Suhr Reactive Load (the standard version, not the IR version) and run that into a poweramp and cab, your signal is never converted to digital and back.

I've only used the Suhr Reactive Load though, I haven't used the Suhr Reactive Load IR, so I'm not sure if it can bypass its IR processing components and just output the raw amp signal.
The other big difference between the Suhr rl and rlir is that the rlir requires dc power for the line outputs filtered or unfiltered to work. As you know the Suhr rl is all passive. Also the Suhr rlir has a high cut switch which is really useful if you are reamping (slaving) into a tube power amp. It is also pretty easy to modify the standard Suhr rl for the high cut, just have to add a resistor that you switch in.

Back to the original question, my Suhr rlir has been the best gear purchase I have made in a long time. I was using it on Sundays as we are already using in ears, allowed me to get a great cranked amp tone. Now that I have switched to a tube preamp into cabm rig, I am using the Suhr rlir for reamping, was using a masco tube power amp, but now using a Marshall 8008 valvestate power amp. Reamping has made me not really care how powerful the amp is, as I can dial in any amp for low volume playing. Total game changer. I really like the fryette ps2 I have as well.

There’s nothing about the axe and the Kemper that suck, I mean let’s be real. They are both tried and true options At this point. The context of what someone means by that they don’t like them is what matters. I also don’t believe there’s one person on this board that could tell the difference between an IR and a cab/mic setup of the exact same IR, just not going to happen. As long as the person has great converters and nothing slouching in the signal chain that is.

Hell, it's gotten to the point you hardly even see any truly blind A/B tests between analog and digital on YT anymore.
Too many "pros" were starting to fail them.

There’s nothing about the axe and the Kemper that suck, I mean let’s be real. They are both tried and true options At this point. The context of what someone means by that they don’t like them is what matters. I also don’t believe there’s one person on this board that could tell the difference between an IR and a cab/mic setup of the exact same IR, just not going to happen. As long as the person has great converters and nothing slouching in the signal chain that is.
+1 especially once added into a full mix with everything else.

Main reason I like to play tube amps with IRs and not full digital is because tube amps inspire me to play and create.
Purely a selfish/tone snob me thing.

I do think tube amps with IRs sound better personally but also know nobody else could probably tell the difference like you say.

Main reason I like to play tube amps with IRs and not full digital is because tube amps inspire me to play and create.

I'm using digital 100% these days and totally get it.
Having used the Quad Cortex now for 4 solid months it's the tube amp feel that it really gets better than any of the other big boys.
Used Fractal for about a year then Kemper for almost two with some L6 stuff in between.

They've all had the sounds down for a while now. It's that really elusive thing we call feel/sag/bloom
whatever that's always been missing and made playing digital distracting to the point you keep having
the itch to try adjusting/tweaking something.

I noted this here before but I recently went an entire day playing through the same preset on the QC.
Completely lost in it just like if it was a head.
Actually kinda spooky.

We're probably looking at 10 more pages if this spirals into real vs modelled so I'll just say this - the amount of fun and inspiration your preferred option brings you are the biggest factors IMO. Tone, convenience, cost etc. come into play next.

For me, the digital 'experience' is uninspiring and un-rock n' roll. I've tried all the high end options available, it just doesn't do it for me. We can all argue tone, but no one can tell you what personally inspires you and brings joy.

We're probably looking at 10 more pages if this spirals into real vs modelled so I'll just say this - the amount of fun and inspiration your preferred option brings you are the biggest factors IMO. Tone, convenience, cost etc. come into play next.

For me, the digital 'experience' is uninspiring and un-rock n' roll. I've tried all the high end options available, it just doesn't do it for me. We can all argue tone, but no one can tell you what personally inspires you and brings joy.
Big +1 and yes to this!

Some guys love the options of a million amps that a modeler can bring and find that helps their song writing.

Whereas I'd get lost in tweaking and perfecting... I already do too much of that with the few amps I have!

A modeler is trying to copy what the real thing can do...so my preference is to use as much of the real thing as possible.
If I had the space and ability to crank and mic cabs here at home I would.
The downside to this is you don't have as many different amp models to play with unless you own 30+ tube amps.

I use my Suhr reactive load ir with my BE100 deluxe every day. I use the celestion suhr IR Greenback 57 bright. I can play my amp cranked with all of my effects without waking up my kids. I can't imagine not having it.
How are you running your whole rig? Curious what you are doing and what you are listening on. Headphones? I wish suhr had attenuation to a real cab.

Torpedo anything -good
Suhr reactive load- better
Fryette power station load box - the best

IR s there are so many .. ownhammer is a good start

I have Kemper and Axe FX III in my 'hobby home studio'. Spent last 2 years trying profiles on Kemper and tweaking Axe. Finally I created an Axe rig, which I believe sounded something like my dream sound. Amp, cab and some subtle effects. So far, so good.

About a week ago I came to idea to connect my Engls (Savage, Inferno) to Axe through Torpedo in raw signal mode. Bypassed the amp in Axe and there came my new dream sounds :).

Axe is nice, Kemper is nice. Both great pieces of gear. But turning knobs in real time on the amp is somehow more inspiring with faster feedback, than tweaking something with mouse in PC. And real amp sounds somehow better to me. Don't know why, maybe just a feeling :)

Back